Gorth

All self-respecting mmos start with subscriptions. Everyone's gonna buy it anyway to see the game for themselves out of curiosity. It's a good way to return investment and then when the interest is gone, there's always microtransactions for those who stayed anyway. I'd do it if I was them.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

All self-respecting mmos start with subscriptions. Everyone's gonna buy it anyway to see the game for themselves out of curiosity. It's a good way to return investment and then when the interest is gone, there's always microtransactions for those who stayed anyway. I'd do it if I was them.

Not everyone.  For example, I'll never even try the game based on the fact that it's subscription-based.  I'm probably not the only one that feels that way, in fact based on comments I've seen in various places, I know for a fact I'm not the only one that feels that way.  Conversely, I tried Neverwinter Online for the exact reason that it was free to play, and lo and behold I wound up playing it for several months and even spending some of my money on microtransactions ($30 to date).

I don't begrudge them trying to make money off the game, they are a business it's their goal to make money.  I get that.  However, there is making money and there is gouging your customers.  Trying to cash in on both the subscription model and the microtransaction model feels like gouging to me.  If you gouge your customers, in my experiences, you may get more money up front, but you alienate you customer base and lose business in the long run.  If this works for them and makes them lots of money, more power to them.  They ain't getting a red cent from me.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Yeah, because charging money for  a video game is the same as a disaster such as that. LMAO

I think it was an example of capitalism gone awry, cutting costs, hidden deals and bribes which in the end resulted in a disaster. Plus the fine they had to pay was so low that they even felt bad about so they donated a bunch of money instead. (It could just be a PR move, though) 

At this point with so many good FTP MMOs one has to question the value in adopting a subscription based model. 

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I'm cynical to the point where "self-respecting MMO" sounds like a bit of an oxymoron. Very few of them even make an earnest attempt at taking full advantage of the medium anymore, I can't help but view them as money grabs.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

http://www.eteknix.com/microsoft-investor-wants-to-fire-ballmer-and-sell-xbox-division/

A report by BizJournals claims that ValueAct, a $2 billion Microsoft investor with a 1% stake in the company, is seeking to achieve some major changes at Microsoft. Analyst Rick Sherlund claims that big changes are going to take place very soon as other shareholders support the decision to get rid of Steve Ballmer in addition to the investment group ValueAct. According to the report ValueAct are seeking to replace Steve Ballmer because his strategy “inspires little confidence”.

Apparently Microsoft has no choice but to give ValueAct a board seat otherwise they might launch a “public war” on Steve Ballmer and Microsoft that could end with serious turmoil at the company.

“A decision by the board at Microsoft to offer a nomination for a board seat could keep the activist agenda behind closed doors and take longer for shareholders to see potential benefits”

Furthermore it is believed they might target the Xbox division and try and get rid of it altogether. This would allow Microsoft to focus on other products and mainly Windows.

“Xbox is cool, but by our estimates Microsoft has not made money at this”

Furthermore it is believed they might target the Xbox division and try and get rid of it altogether.

I really like the sound of it.

Trying to cash in on both the subscription model and the microtransaction model feels like gouging to me.

Do we know enough about the model to really conclude this?

I mean, subscriptions may be grant most (if not all) of the benefits of microtransactions.  Or if it's like WOW, the microtransactions are for purely cosmetic stuff like specialty mounts and whatnot.

Eh...eventually all of the consoles will go away (as will home computers).

But, I'm a bit wary about the console market not really having any competitive spirit, though.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Why would home computers go away? Is the commercial and professional world switching to tablets too? AutoCAD iOS version maybe?

Eventually I think all the radio/tv/console/computer/media stuff will merge into one sort of thing (which, I suppose, could be looked at as a home computer, but I think it'll be more expansive than our current concept of a home computer).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Why would home computers go away? Is the commercial and professional world switching to tablets too? AutoCAD iOS version maybe?

Eventually I think all the radio/tv/console/computer/media stuff will merge into one sort of thing

What do you mean, "eventually"? You can already do all of that on a stinkin' normal PC today.

It will take a few months and then it's going free 2 p(l)ay. What makes TES games have so many hardcore fans is the modding support, which you won't get in a online game. So yeah, people will run away from it fast, I am pretty sure.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It will take a few months and then it's going free 2 p(l)ay. What makes TES games have so many hardcore fans is the modding support, which you won't get in a online game. So yeah, people will run away from it fast, I am pretty sure.

See that is kind of the weird thing.  They will have to go f2p eventually, that is a given.  Even successful MMO's are doing that, WoW being the only exception.  So why are they even starting with a sub model?  It seems like bad business.  I would think it would be smarter to offer a VIP status for a monthly fee, and then microtransactions for f2p folks.  That has been very successful for many different developers.  

That being said, the mod community is a super small group and will not make a sizable impact.  If The Elder Scrolls Online succeeds, it will be because it does well on all the major consoles, just like Oblivion and Skyrim. 

It seems that a later conbversion to a free to play model equals failure in the eyes of many potential customers. I would think firms would want to avoid that stigma. At the same time, having a subscription and already building the foundation for a F2P model for a conversion down the road gives the impression that the firm does not believe in the success of the former. Again not a positive image to project.

*shrug*

I don't care about TES Online. It's a shame though that Wildstar is going sub as well.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

It will also be interesting to see how console gamers respond to a subscription model.   

Aren't console gamers already paying a monthly fee to get playing online at all?

God bless those morons for they are keeping the game industry from prolapsing into its own anus.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

See that is kind of the weird thing.  They will have to go f2p eventually, that is a given.  Even successful MMO's are doing that, WoW being the only exception.  So why are they even starting with a sub model?  It seems like bad business.

Look at Wildstar, you'll have to buy the box and pay for a subscription. basically, in the age of f2p they're saying "we're so confident in our game that we're certain a lot of WoW players will jump ship to play it". or are they?

I think it's just a money-grab-scheme type of thing. first, get as many suckers to buy your game as possible, see how willing they are to pay a monthly fee for access. and then, when the numbers fall below a certain level, just spit in their faces and make the game f2p with a premium membership. I have personally read people in the industry saying this scheme is what most companies should be doing. it makes sense from the business point of view. 

and it also doesn't make any sense to buy this game or waste any money on it until it's not f2p. they're aiming at smomething similar to EVE in terms of community, what they seem to fail to realize is that EVE is a hardcore niche game that has no competitors on the market, it's doomed to have a stable following. unlike Wildstar that looks like just another WoW-clone (same goes for TESO)

their actions really make me think sometimes that those companies are run by a bunch of idiots. but in reality it's the opposite. they know it's the smart way to maximize profits.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It will also be interesting to see how console gamers respond to a subscription model.   

Aren't console gamers already paying a monthly fee to get playing online at all?

Not on the Playstation, but they pay a much smaller fee to play on Xbox Live.  That's why I'm curious what the sub price will be, if they keep it at $10 or under, they might attract more people from the console world.  

their actions really make me think sometimes that those companies are run by a bunch of idiots. but in reality it's the opposite. they know it's the smart way to maximize profits.

Short term profits, sure. Long term they are doing the wrong thing, but such is the beast of quarterly business.

Short term profits, sure. Long term they are doing the wrong thing, but such is the beast of quarterly business.

Is it really?  Or is it just a logical argument that you have created in your head that may or may not actually be reflected in reality?

• Like 2

I'm cynical to the point where "self-respecting MMO" sounds like a bit of an oxymoron. Very few of them even make an earnest attempt at taking full advantage of the medium anymore, I can't help but view them as money grabs.

Pretty much this. Or, not so much "money grabs" as much as "regular, consistent annual income potential." That's what they're eyeballing. So instead of hoping for millions of sales on one or two mega AAA games per year, (meaning you have to create whole new games or IP's at a rapid pace), you hope for players or subscribers who like to spend a lot of money on single MMO's with ever changing aspects/extensions.

I wonder if the notion that a lot of gamers are aging factors into anything. That is, the assumption there may be more gamers out there with a lot more disposable income than in the early years, thus the micro transaction thing works even if most don't pay a dime.

I never understood the antipathy towards a subscription model, outside of needing to pay with something other than paper cash, perhaps. I think with subscription, you have a better chance of a little better content focus vs. the "new cool weapon/armor/skin/pet available to buy in the cash shop!" routine. That said, the micro-transaction is probably more profitable for the company...sadly enough. Even non-MMO's do this sort of thing now, on a limited basis (BL2, 99cent chr. skins...).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts