Gorth

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/08/15/tropico-5-announced-follow-el-presidente-through-the-ages/

Tropico 5 announced

“The Eras – From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities. Begin your reign during colonial times and advance your nation through the modern era and into the future!

“The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed to key leadership positions, earning skills and experience in their assigned roles.

“Research and Renovate – Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Transform your old buildings into modernized, hyper-efficient designs worthy of an economic superpower!

“Advanced trade system and trade fleet – Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure import/export trade routes to neighbouring islands and key nations.

“Explore your island – Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new mineral and ore deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.

“All new art – All artwork is reworked to provide Tropico 5 with a distinct historic visual identity. Choose from over 100 unique buildings from each of the individual eras.

“Cooperative and competitive multiplayer – Up to four players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can share resources and citizens, or declare war on each other.”

Sounds interesting

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tropic is the only profitable project among tonnes of tonnes of shovelware Kalypso produces.

Yeah, Tropico is a good game, so good, in fact, that Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 are basically carbon copies of Tropico 1.  Tropico 2 is the only game in the series that's even slightly different. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Well it being same isn't necessarily a slam against it. I had fun with 3, even if it is a bit face-rollingly easy.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tropic is the only profitable project among tonnes of tonnes of shovelware Kalypso produces.

Yeah, Tropico is a good game, so good, in fact, that Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 are basically carbon copies of Tropico 1.  Tropico 2 is the only game in the series that's even slightly different.

To be honest it seems like, in a lot of cases, that's precisely what many fans want.

Edited by alanschu

Personally, I consider rape to be something more uncomfortable (same with things like Torture and whatnot).

The issue I have is that I am able to mentally caricature killing people. It's a lot easier to do it in a way that makes it silly than something like rape, IMO.

It's also simply a reflection of our society being a lot more comfortable with depictions of killing in media, as opposed to sexual violence. I suppose this COULD change if sexual violence was a lot more prevalent in our games, but I don't think that we as a society are as ready for that given that killing people has a much stronger (and clearer) history of actually not being acceptable, whereas the definitions of what is or is not sexual assault is still a lot more in question and debatable.

JMO.

Though I'm also not sure if something like rape should be included on the basis of "we do other horrible things in the game too" either.

Hotline Miami 2 sparks controversy over a rape scene.

IIRC the original had the player slaughter a entire police station.

Funny that we still pretend to care about being the 'good guy'.

Oh good, this will be entertaining to watch.

Hotline Miami 2 sparks controversy over a rape scene.

IIRC the original had the player slaughter a entire police station.

Funny that we still pretend to care about being the 'good guy'.

Sorry I have an issue with this. Our society is beset by violence against women and children and I don't see why this should be included in a game? There are many games that appeal to people due to there gratuitious shooting and gun violence and that's fine but I really think this is a step too far. And I'm not being parochial, I just think some topics need to stay out of games as by including them you detract from the seriousness of them in our modern era.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Indiscriminate murder doesn't require the same deference with regards to its gravity though, I guess.

"Sorry I have an issue with this. Our society is beset by violence against women and children and I don't see why this should be included in a game?"

WUT? Our society isn't beset with violence against men? LMAO  I like how people feel men 'control', this world yet nobody cares that men have violence perpetrated against them just as much if not more so than women and children. This myth that it is the opposite is hilarious. But, yeah, it's okay for men to be thrown in the trash. LMAO

As for the scene, shrug, it's not real. It's fake. FAKE. NOT REAL. F. A. K. E. N.O.T.R.E.A.L.

I'll focus my anger and disgust on real violence - be it against women, men, children, or animal.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Indiscriminate murder doesn't require the same deference with regards to its gravity though, I guess.

I thought you may say this but its not same thing or the same argument. You will never ban killing of people in a FPS but you can ensure that the main character in any game doesn't go around raping women or abusing children.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"Sorry I have an issue with this. Our society is beset by violence against women and children and I don't see why this should be included in a game?"

WUT? Our society isn't beset with violence against men? LMAO  I like how people feel men 'control', this world yet nobody cares that men have violence perpetrated against them just as much if not more so than women and children. This myth that it is the opposite is hilarious. But, yeah, it's okay for men to be thrown in the trash. LMAO

As for the scene, shrug, it's not real. It's fake. FAKE. NOT REAL. F. A. K. E. N.O.T.R.E.A.L.

I'll focus my anger and disgust on real violence - be it against women, men, children, or animal.

Yes Volo you are right, the same number of men are raped on a daily basis globally as are women. Also domestic abuse of men by women is the same as domestic abuse of women by men. You have solved the problem, please notify all the help-lines and organisations that help  abused women that receive hundred of calls a week to say "there is no problem with systemic violence towards women and children because men get abused too"

What would we do without your insight on these matters?

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

I thought you may say this but its not same thing or the same argument. You will never ban killing of people in a FPS but you can ensure that the main character in any game doesn't go around raping women or abusing children.

Well, you agree with me then. Indiscriminately slaughter some guys and that's fine and doesn't make real life slaughters less serious or anything like that as it's a game. Right ?

I guess all the righteous SJW anger will come up tomorrow.

Edited by Malcador

"Yes Volo you are right, the same number of men are raped on a daily basis globally as are women. Also domestic abuse of men by women is the same as domestic abuse of women by men. You have solved the problem, please notify all the help-lines and organisations that help  abused women that receive hundred of calls a week to say "there is no problem with systemic violence towards women and children because men get abused too"

What would we do without your insight on these matters?"

Why so sexist?

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why so sexist?

:biggrin: Okay that was funny

John Milton 

http://www.gamespot.com/features/why-grand-theft-auto-online-is-crazy-enough-to-work-6412714/?tag=Topslot%3bSlot1

Guys take a look at GTA Online implementation, I think it sounds very exciting :dancing:

John Milton 

If it was rape towards a man I'd still find the scene uncomfortable.

Which makes it evident that I find rape to be a more extreme act than murder.

With rape the victim has to live with the event so they suffer for much longer than with murder.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If it was rape towards a man I'd still find the scene uncomfortable.

Which makes it evident that I find rape to be a more extreme act than murder.

With rape the victim has to live with the event so they suffer for much longer than with murder.

Or they may take a cavalier attitude towards it and just get on with their life. I find it funny how everyone assumes that a rape victim is left a frail, traumatized, little thing.

I met rape victims, some of them are really close to me and I got to tell if they didn't mention it I would have never known.

I get this subject is not for everyone but I find no reason why it should be kept out of games, specially since it has gone on for a while now without controversy. Besides that's why we have the ESBR, they could just add a sexual violence tag to the game and you know whether this game is for you or not.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Well, you agree with me then. Indiscriminately slaughter some guys and that's fine and doesn't make real life slaughters less serious or anything like that as it's a game. Right ?

I guess all the righteous SJW anger will come up tomorrow.

How will RPS cope? They loved the original Hotline Miami and now the sequel has a rape in it. Oh, the dilemma!

I'd guess the reason for the difference between how murder is viewed and how rape is viewed in video games basically comes down to; if you really don't like murder in video gaming then you probably don't play many video games. But most people simply don't think of conquering a city in Civ as being your bunch of soldiers raping and pillaging in an expansionist imperialist fervour, or killing a guard in Thief who has a new born child he's raising alone and working two jobs for and who will now end up in the Shalebridge Cradle Orphanage, or pirating in Elite being murdering someone for their goods. It's a bit more difficult to make the mental gymnastics necessary to justify/ ignore a rape though, as it's... more personal than offing Joe Random#23664 in an fps. It also has the reputation for being a 'cheap' shock when used in television, used to boost flagging ratings.

so let me get this straight:  hotline miami 2, a game about people playing a "game" where they murder people, features a scene where you control an actor in a movie playing a character who is a rapist, and gives you control during that actors rape scene, and before the simulated fake rape commences, the director shouts "cut" to give his actors some more direction or whatever, and then this makes the real life media upset?

somewhere out there is a mindblown gif, pretend i posted it here.

• Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.