Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The general firearms thread!

Guns Boomstick awesomeness

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
552 replies to this topic

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Edit2 - Also, still looking for the perfect 9mm pistol for me

What do you want to do with it - target shooting, concealed carry, competition shooting, do you want it to be eye candy or do you simply want a general purpose gun?  

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

What do you want to do with it - target shooting, concealed carry, competition shooting, do you want it to be eye candy or do you simply want a general purpose gun?  

I would enjoy a quality piece that looks good and is fun to clean. Breaking it down, cleaning, reassembly ... very relaxing. More enjoyable than shooting, I don't know why. Oh, I do know why. Because shooting introduces carbon that needs cleaning. Every round ... I'm like, that's gonna need some cleaning.  

• ShadySands likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3320 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I would enjoy a quality piece that looks good and is fun to clean. Breaking it down, cleaning, reassembly ... very relaxing. More enjoyable than shooting, I don't know why. Oh, I do know why. Because shooting introduces carbon that needs cleaning. Every round ... I'm like, that's gonna need some cleaning.  

Pretty much this

I really enjoy cleaning my guns probably as much as shooting them. I have a concealed carry license but have no intention of actually doing so as I just go to the range every blue moon and keep it unloaded in my office (meaning not accessible if someone ever broke in)

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I really enjoy cleaning my guns probably as much as shooting them. I have a concealed carry license but have no intention of actually doing so as I just go to the range every blue moon and keep it unloaded in my office (meaning not accessible if someone ever broke in)

Sounds like a CZ 75 Shadow would make you happy. I know several people who own one and they love 'em, pure quality and they look good too. But they are not cheap.

CZ_75_SP-01_SHADOW_detail-1.jpg

And I too like cleaning my guns, I take them apart after shooting and inspect them for parts breakage and clean them, its good to know the gun is clean and in perfect working condition. That boosts the confidence in my firearms and it also helps getting familiar with the guns internals.

Edited by Woldan, 31 July 2015 - 02:35 AM.

• ManifestedISO likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1915 posts

I think this is the gun for you

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Sounds like a CZ 75 Shadow would make you happy. I know several people who own one and they love 'em, pure quality and they look good too. But they are not cheap. 

Looks unique, possibly lovely, and I have nothing against eastern Europe, the Brno Circuit is a world class racetrack, but I tend toward more central-Euro or American. I really didn't enjoy any of the Witcher games. That two-tone scheme is super pretty though.   

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I wouldn't limit myself on specific nationalities when choosing guns, traditionally the Czech Republic has been Europe's top weapon manufacturer for more than a thousand years. It all started in the early middle ages, the area that is now the Czech Republic and Poland has always been known for its superior steel and craftsmanship in armor and swords, and the craftsmanship carried over to modern guns and replica swords. CZ (the manufacturer, formerly known as BRNO) is churning out top notch weaponry easily on par if not surpassing the other European and US manufacturers. 

Especially guns from the US have dramatically suffered in material quality and fit and finish. There was this test where they took various rifles and shot a cartridge while there was a projectile stuck in the barrel. All the European rifle barrels held together only getting a slight barrel  bulge while the Remington rifle (Mod 700) blew the barrel and stock to shreds due to the inferior steel.

Really, I don't want to badmouth the US, but truth be told in the past couple years I have handled several US manufactured guns and owned one rifle made in the US and I would not want to buy another, fit and finish is bad, the steels used are underwhelming, bolt travel is usually scratchy and bad.  I own a Savage Mod 110 rifle which already needsa  new barrel after only 800 freaking shots because of the inferior barrel steel or forging prcoess, a similar barrel from lets say CZ or Steyr would last 2000-3000 rounds. 

Japan and Russia are also making pretty darn good weapons nowadays. 

Think again. 

• ManifestedISO likes this

Sarex

Sarex

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1915 posts

Looks unique, possibly lovely, and I have nothing against eastern Europe, the Brno Circuit is a world class racetrack, but I tend toward more central-Euro or American. I really didn't enjoy any of the Witcher games. That two-tone scheme is super pretty though.

I don't know if America is the best at producing anything physical, even good at it. I don't really get why you think "Made in USA" equals good quality, especially nowadays.

ManifestedISO

ManifestedISO

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1776 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That's interesting, Japanese weapons ... you mean firearms? What sort of weapons ... I'd rather not search online, because internet, but if you know of any interesting examples ... 

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's interesting, Japanese weapons ... you mean firearms? What sort of weapons ... I'd rather not search online, because internet, but if you know of any interesting examples ... 

Off the top of my head: all the high quality Browning (US) shotguns sold for a couple of grands are actually made in Japan by a company called Miroku. Also there is HOWA which is a Japanese company making many firearms, for the civilian market they produce bolt action rifles for Europe and the US which are famous for their quality and affordable price.

There is also the rumor that the action of a certain rifle from Winchester is identical with the HOWA action, according to rumors thats because Winchester buys the actions from HOWA. I do not have enough information and/or proof to either deny or confirm that, but its entirely possible though as stuff like that happens all the time. 

And speaking of selling under different names, Remington is selling shotguns originally made in Russia by Baikal and also rifles which were designed and manufactured in Serbia by Zastava. (The mini-mauser series for example).

And if we go down to parts it gets really interesting, for example Steyr Mannlicher in Austria has outsourced the barrel manufacturing to Romania a couple of years ago, and  Accuracy International Australia (AIA), all the parts for their rifles are manufactured in Vietnam and shipped to Australia for assembly.  I owned a rifle from AIA and the quality was questionable where it counted the most.  

And those are just a few examples. 

Edited by Woldan, 01 August 2015 - 12:59 PM.

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3320 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Main_Page

Edited by ShadySands, 01 August 2015 - 03:27 PM.

Woldan

Woldan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Made some nice fireballs at the shooting range with a friends rifle, a 98 with a barrel shortened down to 16.5'' in 8x57mm. :devil:

That thing was so loud I had to use both earmuffs and plugs to protect my ears. You cold feel the bass in your stomach, it was far louder than any other rifle on the range.

OumlIAumlOuml2_zpsumujl8v8.jpg

Edited by Woldan, 08 August 2015 - 07:30 AM.

• Azdeus likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2687 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

Closed for length! New part coming up shortly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Guns, Boomstick, awesomeness

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users