The general firearms thread!

Woldan

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the general firearms thread.

If you own a gun, have question about a specific boomstick or just want to rave about your favorite cartridges don't look any further.

(To all anti-gun fanatics: GET OUT! Create your own rant threads or do humanity a favor and drive your hippie butt down a cliff or something. This place is for pro-gun people only.)

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 6

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I think paintballs full of napalm would be interesting.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I want a 9mm pistol to fill out my collection and give my wife something else to shoot. She started with a .22 pistol but now wants something a little more solid and the last time we were at the local indoor range she enjoyed a few of the 9's they had for rent, especially the Beretta 92. I was already eyeing the following handguns after reviews from friends

• Walther PPQ
  • H&K P30
  • CZ 75 SP-01

I also really want a nice rifle that I can take to one of the outdoor ranges here and am partial to a good old AR15 but the local laws say no to that. 

All we do is shoot targets, no hunting, and not really for self defense either

EDIT: I guess I should also list what I already own as well

.45 Beretta PX4 Storm  - I hated the plastic grips at first but now I really enjoy firing it

.40 Baby Desert Eagle 2  - my wife picked this for me based on looks but it's actually been pretty good and has great weight and is fun to shoot

.22 Ruger SR22  - I got this for my wife to get her interested in shooting. It worked and now she wants to go to the range even more often than I do

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I haven't fired many handguns, but I couldn't stand the automatics. Revolvers all the way.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Heh, I've got some friends in Carolina who keep saying "Come visit us. When you do, we're going to take you to one of the proper RPG Conventions here, and the gun range!"

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I haven't fired many handguns, but I couldn't stand the automatics. Revolvers all the way.

I agree. If you need more than 6 bullets to kill it, its probably Cthulhu and  you should have been running, not shooting.

The moment I get a Ruger Vaquero or S&W model 17 I'm done with guns.

As much as I like assault rifles all I could do with one is prance about until it accidentally discharges in my foot. At least a handgun is theoretically justified as a home defense weapon.

• Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Ha! If I never drill with a rifle again it will be too soon :p

I just like shooting targets and collecting. I've taken the Colorado concealed carry course with my wife but it was more to teach her about safety than anything else as I never plan to actually carry a weapon or use it for defense. My guns are always unloaded and locked up in my home office/spare bedroom so even if someone ever broke in to my home they would be of no use to me... or them.

I would love to have add an old Peacemaker to my collection but in general I'm not a big fan of revolvers

Heh, I've got some friends in Carolina who keep saying "Come visit us. When you do, we're going to take you to one of the proper RPG Conventions here, and the gun range!"

I often encourage friends who are curious or on the wall about shooting to come try it but I don't ever try to push the issue. Some people are scared or uncomfortable or just plain not interested. I've gotten a few of my wife's closest friends hooked on shooting once they got past the initial apprehension 

• Like 1

I also really want a nice rifle that I can take to one of the outdoor ranges here and am partial to a good old AR15 but the local laws say no to that.

Wait, which state does not allow AR15's? As far as I know only California has some odd laws like I -think - 10 shot max capacity mags and a fixed magazine, no pistol grips etc, but there are workarounds.

What about milsurps?

• Like 1

California is a consummate nannystate and makes it profoundly difficult to keep modern sporting rifles (what the ignorant label "semi-automatic assault rifles") and milsurps, as do a number of the other bluest of the Blue States (i.e. heavily Democrat).

Here's an article on which are the most un/friendly states regarding firearms and the Second Amendment in the USA.

Edited by Tsuga C
  • Like 2

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

The city of Denver has an "assault weapons ban" and has for almost 25 years but it's legal in the rest of the state. The law was changed somewhat a few years ago and removed the list of guns that were explicitly prohibited to a more vague definition of "All semiautomatic action, centerfire rifles with a detachable magazine with a capacity of twenty-one (21) or more rounds."  There is a lot of discussion but no clarification on if that means that you can own it as long as you don't have magazine that can hold 21 or more rounds or that if the rifle has commercially available magazines capable of holding more rounds then it is banned. I know that sounds stupid but it really is being debated and I don't want to chance anything even if it's not being actively enforced as the fine goes up to $1000 and you can spend up to 6 months in jail.

The new state laws passed this year limit magazine sizes to 15 rounds, require universal background checks and charge gun owners the cost of the check. I don't know how long the magazine restriction will last though because it's already being challenged and often called an unenforceable feel good law

That does indeed sound like an ill-informed law. Magazines are designed to be so swiftly interchangeable that it is more or less moot how big each one is. Plus as you say, it's not hard to fit a larger one.

-Elwood Blues

The city of Denver has an "assault weapons ban"

....like any other city/state in the US. An assault rifle has a select fire switch, if it does not have one its just a semi auto rifle. Authorities haven't been able to understand that since before the Clinton gun ban. Thats really sad.

Those who make laws limiting the capacity of gun magazines have (fortunately) never seen how fast old military surplus rifles can be reloaded with stripper clips from a skilled rifleman. And what about tube magazines? I think Marlin makes a tube-fed 22 rifle that holds 16 or 18 rounds. Does it classify as part of the firearm itself or is it a magazine?

If I were you I'd buy myself a nice Enfield No4 or if you are more of a semi auto rifle enthusiast an SKS, both rifles hold 10 rounds, pack quite a punch, are fairly cheap to feed, are ultra reliable and most importantly don't lose their value in case the new 15 round law dies an early death - If its back to 21 rounds thats a case for the FN-FAL, its everything a rifle needs to be. Powerful, reliable, easy to shoot, accurate, and massively built.

I'm with DE, the finest handgun ever made was the Colt SAA. I have two of them. Only one is an actual Colt though. The other is a Ubreti replica of the Colt 1873 Cattleman. Very fun to shoot.  

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the general firearms thread.

If you own a gun, have question about a specific boomstick or just want to rave about your favorite cartridges don't look any further.

(To all anti-gun fanatics: GET OUT! Create your own rant threads or do humanity a favor and drive your hippie butt down a cliff or something. This place is for pro-gun people only.)

Heads

Why is it "for pro-gun people only"? That's discrimination. What about gun-neutral people? Why does everything have to be black and white, "you're with us or against us"? Why is it so hard to accept the concept of gray areas or nuance in your world view? It's like segregation except you have no way of enforcing it because it's an internet forum where you have zero administrative power. Inferences from your vitriol against your perceived enemies need not be spoken.

I know that I've got guaranteed replies, but just for good measure... DEAGLE CLIPS

Tails

At any rate, I'm just glad I haven't seen any of those airsoft pussies posting about their toys. Man. Those guys. Get a real gun, you nerds. It costs the same as the stupid airsoft club logo/camoflauge paintjob you got on your windowless 1976 Dodge Ram Van.

I'm with DE, the finest handgun ever made was the Colt SAA. I have two of them. Only one is an actual Colt though. The other is a Ubreti replica of the Colt 1873 Cattleman. Very fun to shoot.

It's certainly romantic, but I wouldn't rely on a single-action in a legitimately life-threatening encounter/confrontation.

Speaking of nerds and guns... http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/p226-x-five-golden-dragon.aspx   :facepalm:

Edited by AGX-17

To all anti-gun fanatics: GET OUT! Create your own rant threads

Done.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

your windowless 1976 Dodge Ram Van.

The ultimate felony vehicle. Murder van, for short.  :huh:

I appreciate a good receiver, and I can still disassemble an A2 in my mind, from as far back as 1990, but I think neutrality goes a long way, these days. So, heads.  

All Stop. On Screen.

What makes the Colt Single Action Army "the best handgun ever made?"  It would seem like it's reputation in older times precedes it, and as a not too extreme gun nut, would figure it such a claim were true it'd still be used as a standard issue today.