The general firearms thread!

Woldan

Wehrmacht Sniper training video. Don't disregard the video just because its old and it was made by the Wehrmacht, it features tons of clever tips that build the foundation of modern sniper craft. There a couple of dumb ones too, like the sniper position in the tree (very bad idea) but 90% of the vid is really good. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB9vn1-58zw

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still a dumb gun. The odds of mechanical failure have been doubled, its near impossible to make two barrels shoot at the same point of aim at any significant range, the two bullets leaving the barrel at the same time will deflect each other due to the escaping gas at the muzzle and the whole concept does not increase the chance of hitting the target, it simply makes you waste more bullets. 

The whole concept simply does not make any sense. 

I'm intrigued by the Kriss Vector on a number of levels, and would love to fire one.

I've decided to put them in my new book, although being semi-futuristic they are re-engineered Chinese copies.

crb.jpg

Edited by Monte Carlo

sonsofgygax.JPG

modern counter terrorism units are moving away from 9mm SMGs and towards short-barreled assault rifles (and even bigger caliber weapons like the Honey Badger, although I've yet to see one in use on a pic).
example, 10 inch HK416:
maxresdefault.jpg

chances are, in the future this will only become more widespread

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

http://i.imgur.com/dWIIMJp.webm

How to reload an AK with one arm out of action.

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

• 1 month later...

Today I did some penetration tests with a wetpack (Wetpack = tightly packed soaking wet newspaper to simulate tissue) and the tiny .22lr. 

Soaked newspaper in water for a couple of hours: 

DSCF2735_zpsivhr8fdn.jpg

The setup, wetpack put in a shopping bag with a round 1.5cm clay shard strapped to its front to simulate bone. 

DSCF2737_zps3gtccly3.jpg

DSCF2738_zpsxmbekqrx.jpg

Two shots directly into the pack and one on the clay shard, from 50 meters.

DSCF2739_zpskgd9neiy.jpg

DSCF2741_zps9oue994i.jpg

The results from the different bullet types and velocities were very interesting and telling, especially the wound channels.

I also recovered the bullets: 

DSCF2776_zpsznwi3wv2.jpg

• Like 1

I always know when I'm dealing with a know-nothing when they say in earnest something to the effect of, "Don't worry about ricochets. We're just shooting .22s."

Ahem. Time to go...

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Whenever I'm playing the range officer and instructing newcomers with their .22's or .17 rimfires I always tell them that any caliber has the potential to kill you dead as a doornail and therefore all guns must be treated the same. 

I guess more people died from 22 accidents than from any other sporting cartridge because its performance always gets severely underestimated due to its size- and when things get underestimated ugly things happen. 

I forgot to mention the 22 subsonic hollow points penetrated 12cm(!) into the pack and made an impressive wound channel. The supersonic round nose bullets made it through the entire 16cm pack (7'') while tumbling and turning also creating an impressive wound channel. (When using wetpacks you need to add 1/3 of the penetration to know what the bullet would do in real tissue). 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I still maintain that .22 hollow points are the best zombie apocalypse round ...around.

Edit -  see same bad joke

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64148-the-general-firearms-thread/?p=1569358

Edit2 - Also, still looking for the perfect 9mm pistol for me

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I honestly believe the .22lr has the biggest lethality-to-size/weight ratio in the world of firearm cartridges. Barely bigger than my thumb nail yet it can easily kill grown people and deer or other big animals with a well placed shot.  

Though if I were stuck in a zombie apocalypse I'd still carry a 12 gauge shotgun because I'd want to go out in style.  ;)

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Oh, I've already posted it in the ''what you did today'' thread , but this might be a better place. I finally got me a classic 12 gauge double barrel shotgun with external hammers. 

I've just began to touch up the bluing and oiling the wood stock with linseed oil. And while I'm at it I'll also remove the automatic safety because automatic stuff sucks ass on guns unless we're talking about the fire mode. 

doublewold1_zpsmqo97hfn.jpg

doublewold2_zpssutkkhnd.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

You might find it here. Do take the time to watch the video.

Edited by Tsuga C
  • Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

What do you want to do with it - target shooting, concealed carry, competition shooting, do you want it to be eye candy or do you simply want a general purpose gun?  

What do you want to do with it - target shooting, concealed carry, competition shooting, do you want it to be eye candy or do you simply want a general purpose gun?  

I would enjoy a quality piece that looks good and is fun to clean. Breaking it down, cleaning, reassembly ... very relaxing. More enjoyable than shooting, I don't know why. Oh, I do know why. Because shooting introduces carbon that needs cleaning. Every round ... I'm like, that's gonna need some cleaning.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I would enjoy a quality piece that looks good and is fun to clean. Breaking it down, cleaning, reassembly ... very relaxing. More enjoyable than shooting, I don't know why. Oh, I do know why. Because shooting introduces carbon that needs cleaning. Every round ... I'm like, that's gonna need some cleaning.  

Pretty much this

I really enjoy cleaning my guns probably as much as shooting them. I have a concealed carry license but have no intention of actually doing so as I just go to the range every blue moon and keep it unloaded in my office (meaning not accessible if someone ever broke in)

Free games updated 3/4/21

I really enjoy cleaning my guns probably as much as shooting them. I have a concealed carry license but have no intention of actually doing so as I just go to the range every blue moon and keep it unloaded in my office (meaning not accessible if someone ever broke in)

Sounds like a CZ 75 Shadow would make you happy. I know several people who own one and they love 'em, pure quality and they look good too. But they are not cheap.

CZ_75_SP-01_SHADOW_detail-1.jpg

And I too like cleaning my guns, I take them apart after shooting and inspect them for parts breakage and clean them, its good to know the gun is clean and in perfect working condition. That boosts the confidence in my firearms and it also helps getting familiar with the guns internals.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Sounds like a CZ 75 Shadow would make you happy. I know several people who own one and they love 'em, pure quality and they look good too. But they are not cheap. 

Looks unique, possibly lovely, and I have nothing against eastern Europe, the Brno Circuit is a world class racetrack, but I tend toward more central-Euro or American. I really didn't enjoy any of the Witcher games. That two-tone scheme is super pretty though.   

All Stop. On Screen.

I wouldn't limit myself on specific nationalities when choosing guns, traditionally the Czech Republic has been Europe's top weapon manufacturer for more than a thousand years. It all started in the early middle ages, the area that is now the Czech Republic and Poland has always been known for its superior steel and craftsmanship in armor and swords, and the craftsmanship carried over to modern guns and replica swords. CZ (the manufacturer, formerly known as BRNO) is churning out top notch weaponry easily on par if not surpassing the other European and US manufacturers. 

Especially guns from the US have dramatically suffered in material quality and fit and finish. There was this test where they took various rifles and shot a cartridge while there was a projectile stuck in the barrel. All the European rifle barrels held together only getting a slight barrel  bulge while the Remington rifle (Mod 700) blew the barrel and stock to shreds due to the inferior steel.

Really, I don't want to badmouth the US, but truth be told in the past couple years I have handled several US manufactured guns and owned one rifle made in the US and I would not want to buy another, fit and finish is bad, the steels used are underwhelming, bolt travel is usually scratchy and bad.  I own a Savage Mod 110 rifle which already needsa  new barrel after only 800 freaking shots because of the inferior barrel steel or forging prcoess, a similar barrel from lets say CZ or Steyr would last 2000-3000 rounds. 

Japan and Russia are also making pretty darn good weapons nowadays. 

Think again. 

• Like 1

Looks unique, possibly lovely, and I have nothing against eastern Europe, the Brno Circuit is a world class racetrack, but I tend toward more central-Euro or American. I really didn't enjoy any of the Witcher games. That two-tone scheme is super pretty though.

I don't know if America is the best at producing anything physical, even good at it. I don't really get why you think "Made in USA" equals good quality, especially nowadays.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

That's interesting, Japanese weapons ... you mean firearms? What sort of weapons ... I'd rather not search online, because internet, but if you know of any interesting examples ... 

Off the top of my head: all the high quality Browning (US) shotguns sold for a couple of grands are actually made in Japan by a company called Miroku. Also there is HOWA which is a Japanese company making many firearms, for the civilian market they produce bolt action rifles for Europe and the US which are famous for their quality and affordable price.

There is also the rumor that the action of a certain rifle from Winchester is identical with the HOWA action, according to rumors thats because Winchester buys the actions from HOWA. I do not have enough information and/or proof to either deny or confirm that, but its entirely possible though as stuff like that happens all the time. 

And speaking of selling under different names, Remington is selling shotguns originally made in Russia by Baikal and also rifles which were designed and manufactured in Serbia by Zastava. (The mini-mauser series for example).

And if we go down to parts it gets really interesting, for example Steyr Mannlicher in Austria has outsourced the barrel manufacturing to Romania a couple of years ago, and  Accuracy International Australia (AIA), all the parts for their rifles are manufactured in Vietnam and shipped to Australia for assembly.  I owned a rifle from AIA and the quality was questionable where it counted the most.  

And those are just a few examples. 

Edited by Woldan