The general firearms thread!

Woldan

^ semi-auto, accurate, preferably reliable and low maintenance. Budget wise I got quite a bit to blow, but would like to remain below $1k of possible.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Oh, the budget limit automatically rules out The m1a and the FN SCAR, both run in the 2000-3000 area. 

The PSL (Dragunov Clone)would fit all your requirements perfectly if you'd be happy with 1.5-2'' groups at 100yds. 

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Thanks Woldan. I think I may have 3k to spare if I sell my Telecaster and save for a few months. In that case, would you recommend the m1a or the FN SCAR? If GD is around I'd like his advice as well.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ok.

Just to summarize, for ~1K I recommend either the the Romanian PSL in 7.62x54 with a POSP Scope or a Saiga in .308 with a POSP, which is also more or less a Dragunov clone. Its easier to find high quality ammunition in .308 though and the Saiga also runs in the 900-1100 area. 

In the 2k+ area I recommend either the FN-SCAR (I've heard they're hard to find in the US) or the M1A with an EBR or McMillan stock.  There are millions of good stock and chassis options. 

I do not recommend the Bushmaster (AR-Type) in .308 since a friend of mine has one that is an insufferable jam-o-matic and a b!tch to maintain. I told him to go with the Saiga but he did not listen. 

If you have question about scopes you can always ask me, I don't want to boast but I have tons of experience with optics. 

I have a .22LR Ruger American rifle, a .22LR Ruger SR-22, and a .45ACP Ruger SR-45... haven't shot the SR-22 yet, but will soon (either I get a membership at an indoor club, or it gets warm enough to shoot outdoors).  The SR-45 is great, but I'm flinching with it and pulling my shots down to the left.  That's why I bought the SR-22, to prevent poverty from practicing @ 60 cents per shot. :)

Mark

• Like 1

comrade taks... just because.

Its sole purpose is to improve aim (for under $60/week) and train myself not to flinch.

Mark

our favorite rifle were our first: a winchester model 69 bolt-action .22. we loved that weapon more than we loved our pony, which admitted ain't saying much 'cause our rifle didn't p00p nearly as much as did the equine.

btw, nice to see you posting.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I bought an SR22 to try to get my wife into shooting and while we both enjoy shooting it it's almost like a bb or pellet gun. I still enjoy shooting it from time to time.

I love shooting 22's just as much as the big rifle calibers, so much fun, so cheap, no feeling of guilt from barrel wear, but don't ever make the mistake of underestimating the 22 because its so small and sounds like a pellet gun. I've shot sub sonics out of my rifle into stacked wooden plates, while it was so quiet I could hear the ''TWANG!'' of the firing pin the bullet penetrated 3 centimeters of wood and punched a surprisingly big hole into the earth back stop behind it. I also shot a full beer can with a HP and that tiny bullet ripped it to shreds. 3cm of tough wood is nothing to sneeze at, that will definitely go into someones skull and exit it.

According to my book about urban sniper tactics in Chechnya snipers used the .22lr to great effect in dense urban environment, especially at night. The Russian soldiers called it the ''night death'' because the insurgents would use them mainly at dawn & night night to shoot Russian patrols into the groin, thigh or face. They were so silent detection was nearly impossible, no muzzle blast, no dust kicking up, silent muzzle report, no supersonic crack.  Those weren't just deadly on those shot but also on the morale.

Conclusion : the .22lr is far more deadly and effective than it looks. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

I referring more to the weight and recoil as the SR22 is quite small. I prefer a more solid feeling handgun personally but I still have fun shooting the little fellow.

As for the .22LR, I still maintain that it is the best zombie apocalypse round... around

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Not sure if I'm surprised, happy, or sad that you (and others) still post here, Gromnir, but thanks for the nod nonetheless. Same goes to the other old-timers that noticed my... presence.

As for guns, I was always a bit feared of them... something changed a year ago and now I'm a licensed (NRA) rifle instructor and will soon be a shotgun instructor. Pistol instruction requires a bit more time on the range, but will happen.

Yeah, glad... played through BG EE2 not long ago and Gromnir was my fave bad guy... :)

oh, we disappear for a considerable stretch, from time-to-time.  18 months o' absence before early last year.  as hard as it is to believe, we get the feeling that some folks didn't miss us much.

in any event, welcome back.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Magazines falling out at random suggests a profound design issue... :blink:

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Can't beat the feel of an all-steel pistol. I love CZ firearms, they are well made.

Speaking of CZ, I gave the rather dull stock of my CZ452 a new finish, now it looks and feels much better. The grain is much more visible now. 

DSCF1461kl_zpshk86txdg.jpg

DSCF1462kl_zpsfl1hxso4.jpg

Edited by Woldan