The general firearms thread!

Woldan

Interesting point about customisation. I think there's a generic point here that once a technology plateaus in effectiveness, it's all about fine tuning to suit users and situations.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hell, even the Brits had thought to put a detachable magazine into their Enfield, which was a piece of anachronism that belonged in the Victorian age.

The Enfield Magazine is not detachable. Well it is, but only for cleaning purposes. Its very hard to remove it because its a very tight fit, the release button is in the trigger guard and awkward to operate, soldiers didn't get a second one. Enfield mags were fed with stripper clips only.

The thin stamped construction of the StG44 meant that you could render an StG44 completely inoperable by standing it up and letting it fall over on its side, at least until somebody could machine the dent back out of it.

Let an M1 drop on the operating lever that sticks out on the right side and see what happens. It renders the bolt shut and presto! -  the gun is inoperable. Let an AR-15 drop onto its barrel and see what happens. The barrel bends and the gun is inoperable. 

Don't drop any weapon. 

The idea that they are prone to jamming is completely exagerated and more or less a remnant of the first year and a half of Vietnam, and even that myth has mostly died off.

Its a myth that I've seen happening in three of my friends gun. They're super prone to jamming even with perfect maintenance, under perfect conditions with ideal lubrication and frequent cleaning. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Well I can't argue with your three friends. I've only been around literal thousands of them that have worked absolutely fine.

Is it childish that this made me snigger?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well I can't argue with your three friends. I've only been around literal thousands of them that have worked absolutely fine.

Funny, watching YT videos of US soldiers engaging insurgents in the sandbox I see those M4's jam once in a while. Same with the SAW and much to my surprise the M14 DMR's. 

* shrugs *

All weapons jam, even the fabled AKs. Add dusty conditions, combat conditions where weapons get knocked about, it's inevitable.

It's why your drills versus the other bloke's are so important.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

-Elwood Blues

'Merica. Lots of fun when holstering the gun, the lawyers are going to have a field day....  :grin:

You don't holster a gun with an axe on it.

-Elwood Blues

9jt6Yn3.jpg?1

Let an AR-15 drop onto its barrel and see what happens. The barrel bends and the gun is inoperable.

Also...no? Just...no? Unless you're "just letting it drop" out of an airplane or something?

On a gun made largely out of aluminum and plastic, or on any gun really, the barrel is going to be the last thing to give up under abuse.

I saw an AR driven over by a John Deere pulling a massive rotary tiller once. Upper and lower recievers were both shredded. Barrel was fine.

I'm not sure what you mean about the M1 either. I've only ever seen them babied as relics but that bolt handle is surely stronger than the drop weight of the rifle itself. I'd see the front or rear sight sheering off or the stock cracking before anything else breaks.

Edited by Aram

ew, revolvers...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

ew, revolvers...

Hey! There was only one way to play Fallout: New Vegas, and that was playing a gunslinging, quickdrawing Cowgirl using Lucky and the Ranger Sequoia with a crit-build!  :dancing:

• Like 2
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

ew, revolvers...

Hey! There was only one way to play Fallout: New Vegas, and that was playing a gunslinging, quickdrawing Cowgirl using Lucky and the Ranger Sequoia with a crit-build!  :dancing:

you have a good point there. but, when it comes to video games and handguns, I'm more of a 1911 guy  :biggrin:

and I like 1911 girls, 

colt1911_5357.jpg

not that there's anything wrong with cowgirls

JessieAbbate005.jpg

Edited by sorophx
  • Like 2
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That brunette with the 1911. ...Now that's a cute girl.

-Elwood Blues

notice how Agiel and I masterfully turned this into "Attractive women with firearms" thread  :dancing:

Leah_1.jpg

STI-Friday-20121114-1.jpg

Edited by sorophx
  • Like 1
Walsingham said:

I made a wetpack-test with hunting bullets I bought a few weeks ago to see how and if they perform. Wetpack means a box filled with soaking wet newspaper to simulate flesh and its by many considered to be more accurate in simulating flesh than ballistic gel. 
Anyway, the pack was about 25cm thick, shot it with an 8x57 200 grain bullet at about 2500 fps or a tad under 800 meters a second. The bullet used was a softpoint flatbase hunting bullet, tombac jacket. Which is typically used for medium to large game. (European red deer, moose, elk) Unfortunately I could no recover the expanded bullet because its deeply embedded in a large log which I used as backstop. 

Pics: 

The bullet type used: 

2530.jpg?maxheight=100&style=padded&maxw

Entry. (I didn't even realize that there were kids on the top cover of the newspaper till I uploaded the pic. Bummer. *shrugs*)

entry_zps526486d6.jpg

5 centimeters in the wetpack the bullet started to expand: 

1drittel_zps9655b853.jpg

The ''wound channel'' 2/3 into the pack, approx two fingers wide. 

2drittel_zps4d55337b.jpg

The exit after passing through ~ 25 centimeters of wet newspaper, creating a tennis ball sized hole. It really started to expand a lot in the last 7-10 centimeters. 

exit1_zpsa8a2746f.jpg

exit2_zpsa71b3742.jpg

wetpack5_zpsf372c1c9.jpg

Result:

Weight retention: the bullet didn't lose any material on its way through the wet pack.
Expansion: the bullet needed 5 centimeters before it started to expand. It expanded in two stages, first moderate expansion after 5 centimeters and about 2/3 into the pack it suddenly started to expand wildly Also the sharp edges of the deforming bullets jacket ''cut'' through the medium like a couple of razors. The wound channel looks smaller than it actually is because the paper aroudn the channel expanded back. 

Conclusion: the bullet performed as expected, deep penetration with a bullet comparetively slowly expanding but staying intact to pass through medium to large sized game. Might not be the best anti-personnel bullet but it does far more damage than a full metal jacket bullet. A palm-sized exit hole without having hit any bones is nothing to sneeze at.

Edited by Woldan

• 3 months later...

Jerry Miculek doing a 3 gun run, filmed in "FP" style, quite entertaining to watch imo. :)

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken