The general firearms thread!

Woldan

If you're trained to hear that report as the presence of the enemy ...

I call BS on that one, I spend hours on shooting ranges each week and all the rifles that are fired there all sound alike. They all go BOOOM and thats it, no matter what cartridge is used. The only distinctive difference in muzzle report in long guns is between a shotgun and a rifle, the shotgun makes a sharper, higher sound.While the usual rifle goes ''BOOOM'', the shotgun makes a short ''POW''! Thats probably because much faster powder is used in a shotgun, pistol powder and flakes while the rifle cartridge is filled with slow burning stick and ball powder.I've shot rifles and shotguns without ear protection and I can tell them apart. While the muzzle report of a rifle is manageable a shotgun is outright painful and makes my ears ring for an hour.And about Americans using the weapons of fallen enemies, I've heard many reports of soldiers in A-Stan using captured AK's and Dragunovs. Mercenaries also prefer to use the AK and the FN-FAL over the AR.
It's full auto that gives assault rifles a more characteristic sound. Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The M16A1 that was in service at the time did retain a full-auto capacity.

There were also many cases on the Eastern Front of the Second World War where both German and Soviet troops found something to like in their opponents' arms. I've seen a whole lot of photos of Soviets using MP-40s and their German counterparts using Shpagins and SVT-40s.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Er... while still with the TA I got used as a trigger monkey for an experiment with different firearms by some species of boffins. I could definitely tell the difference in weapon report, even through ear defenders. Plus I have been told my family friends who fought in South Africa's border wars that the AK is very distinctive.

Not sure how to square that with your experience, Woldan. Are your ears properly fitted, by a qualified professional?

EDIT:

_71912580_71912579.jpg

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The AK might have a different rate of fire than the AR, but unless you hear a single one go off full auto close by it could just be a couple of friendly soldiers shooting single shots rapidly, not to mention it gets even harder in the thick of combat. And forget identifying rifles past 200 meters or more where sounds echo and the loudest sound is the bullets supersonic ''crack'' when passing by.

Its like the famous ''Pling'' of the Garand - myth, where German soldiers supposedly could hear the ejected clip of the Garand hit the ground making a ''Pling'' so they left cover and shot at the US soldiers whenever they heard it.

Yeah right. 

Er... while still with the TA I got used as a trigger monkey for an experiment with different firearms by some species of boffins. I could definitely tell the difference in weapon report, even through ear defenders

Then you have better ears than me and anyone I know and should make big bucks in TV shows telling apart guns from their muzzle reports. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling you a liar, I just have no idea how you do that.  :blink: 

Whenever I shoot guns they just make BOOOM, some are a little louder depending on their caliber and barrel length, but thats pretty much it, with and without earplugs. 

How is the sound generated? When leaving the muzzle high velocity gas which propelled the projectile through the barrel smashes into the air and is decelerated instantly. That creates the BOOM, the projectile going supersonic adds a CRACK to the sound which sounds like a whip. A sound surpressor can capture the gas and slow it down more gently thus greatly muffling the shot. The supersonic crack however stays. 
There may be minor sound intensity differences between cartridges because of different powder charge weights and barrel lengths but differences between the cartridges of assault rifles are so minor I say its impossible to tell them apart just by muzzle report. 

There ARE firearms that can clearly be told apart from regular rifles, from my experience: 

* Shotguns
* Big cartridges like .338Lapua and .50BMG
* Pistols

* Muzzleloaders

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

That is interesting. I mean I know I have good hearing, because I've had it formally tested. And I have a good ear for music.

Whereas you have some sort of ant colony living in your right ear and can't even feel it. :)

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Pfff, making fun of a mans ear problems is a sign of insecurity! And just for your information, according to my doc my ears are so good I could hear protozoa fart and single molecules colliding if it weren't for all the side noise.   ;) 

• Like 4

I disagree, none of my rifles makes a distinctive sound, I could not tell them apart if my live depended on it. And how they could have different muzzle reports is beyond my understanding.

I'm just going to weigh in with my extensive experience firing air rifles (two or three times years ago) and 12 gauge shotguns (once) and say that their muzzle reports were definitely different. Happy to help, kids, no need to thank me.

• Like 1

Dirty deeds done cheap.

One reason why I prefer shotguns over any other firearm for home defense. Surprisingly the little .22 seems to do pretty well.... 

Observations.jpg

Fatalities.jpg

RoundsToIncap.jpg

Ellifritz_OneShot_Percent.png

NonIncap.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

Just to add one more vote: when I did my army service, we got to test shoot the Swedish AK-4 and AK-5, the American M-16 and the Russian AK-47. They felt different, they handled differently and they absolutely sounded very different.

The M-16 had very strange sights and was a bitch to clean. I shot my best series with this weapon (100 m, lying down).

The AK-4 was overkill, kicks like a horse (30-06..) and was easy to clean but got dirty faster than any other rifle (yes, including the infamous AK-47).

The AK-5 was our standard weapon, not much to say about it. Good rifle.

The AK-47 sounded exactly like every video game assault rifle you've ever heard. Other than that, it wasn't anything special.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

mkreku, the AK-4 shoots 7.62*51 NATO rounds, not .30-06. The .30-06 would be 7.62*60 something in dimension, quite a bit of difference.

The 7.62*51 NATO round is similar in dimensions to the .308 Winchester though.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

The AK-4 was overkill, kicks like a horse (30-06..) and was easy to clean but got dirty faster than any other rifle (yes, including the infamous AK-47)

What? 7.62x51 (not 30-06) out of a heavy semi auto is a pussycat to shoot. Try shooting a shotgun with a standard slug, those easily kick 5 times as hard.

The M-16 had very strange sights and was a bitch to clean. I shot my best series with this weapon (100 m, lying down).

The M16 sights are very similar to those on the AK-4 (G3). Those are called peep sights.

I've always liked top-break revolvers, isn't that a modern copy of the Schofield (Russian version)? 44-40 or 45 Colt? 

Edited by Woldan

Aran's post inspired me to post some pics of my muzzleloaders. 

Springfield 1847 (replica), thats an 1842 smoothbore musket that was later (1847) equipped with rifling and sights so it could fire .69 caliber Miniè balls. Used in the mexican war and later in the civil war. Due its large caliber and very heavy recoil it was not  a very popular weapon among the soldiers who preferred the 58's. 

springfield1847_zps728d98cb.jpg

spriongfield2_zps88d77b7a.jpg

Lyman Hawken Great Plains Rifle in .54, typical deer and moose hunting rifle of the 1840's. Many soldiers owning such rifle equipped them with peep sights and  used them as sharpshooting rifles along with their general issue rifled musket. They were very accurate. 

hawkengpr_zps44b1c83c.jpg

hawken2_zpsf7ef15c9.jpg

Edited by Woldan