This George Zimmerman thing

Calax

With genuine respect, I don't believe those rights were bestowed by God. They were bestowed in blood. By Americans. Upon Americans.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The founding documents as penned by the Founding Fathers, including the Bill of Rights, were (and still are) considered merely an enumeration of our Natural Rights as bestowed by Nature or Nature's God. Human tyrants may have denied some or most of these rights to their subjects throughout recorded history, but that did not erase them from the human spirit. They have existed since the dawn of our sapience and are not considered as being dependent upon the founding documents. An understanding and appreciation of this helps define what it is to be an American.

To be fair, until the last century, you could walk out of your door and be killed by the world around you. Like nature world, not other humans.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

In a lot of cases Calax, you still can. I carry everywhere I travel unless I'm flying or travelling to a state that does not honor my CWP.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Even if Z was looking for Martin for those entire 4 minutes, there's almost no chance he would've found him in the darkness, thus Martin wouldn't have seen him, and couldn't feel he was being stalked because of it.

You said Z had a flashlight. That is pretty easy to see, in the darkness and all.

Besides Z told police dispatcher on the phone he was heading towards the back entrance (E), why would he lie at that point?

Because he'd been told not to follow and it's generally a Bad Idea to not follow police instruction- especially if you end up shooting someone?

Going by the timeline you linked to that has Martin arriving home at roughly 2.40 of the call after a 30 second jog, then spending a few minutes talking, then walking back.

Going by wikipedia's timeline to clarify matters there's a (minimum) 2.20 minutes between Z hanging up and Martin's phone going dead, and it ought to take Z maybe 30s to walk back to his vehicle, at most. It's pretty much inescapable from that that Z didn't go straight back to his vehicle after hanging up. That isn't direct evidence that Z followed Martin further than he admitted- though the gf's testimony suggests that Martin felt that, at least- but if he took the stand you'd guarantee the prosecution would want to know what he was doing for that time and why he wasn't back at his car earlier.

Here's the transcript of the phone call: http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/326700-full-transcript-zimmerman.html

It's pretty clear that Zimmerman saw Martin run in the direction of the back gate so he headed in the same direction. It's also clear he lost him and had no idea where Martin was. Z mentions in the police interview that at E he reached the street that went all around the neighborhood (his own street), so it's quite possible he walked some way along it and then returned. None of that changes the fact that Martin had to come back towards Zimmerman.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

The Bill of Rights is man made not 'nature' made. (thoguh I perosnally would argue that everything man made IS natural since man is apart of nature so everything we do - be it something deemed fantastic like  a beautiful painting or sacrificing yourself to save someone or something horrific like the holocaust or  nuclear weapons is natural).

What humans do is as natural as what bears do.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

There's absolutely nothing idiotic about citizens retaining their God given, Constitutionally enumerated Second Amendment right to defend themselves outside of their home.

:blink:

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/wis-man-76-guilty-fatal-shooting-teen-19692102#.Uefn122YDYU

Judging by the relative lack of media hype (in comparison with the Z case), there seems to be nothing here for radical pressure groups to see and spin.  Why?

White man? Check.  Black teenager?  Check.  Racial profiling?  Probably, check.  Guilty verdict?

There's absolutely nothing idiotic about citizens retaining their God given, Constitutionally enumerated Second Amendment right to defend themselves outside of their home.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Are you guys being weirded out by the "God"-part? You can always change it to Santa claus, the sun or your mother if it makes you feel better. Or do you think that armed self-defence in itself is bad? Just curious.

I do think that Zimmerman is morally responsible for the situation however, but not legally. 

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

for some reason, on re-reading that particular post... I'm wondering if god went on the 10th day "Screw it! SHOTGUNS FOR EVERYBODY!" and left a pristine Remmington 500 just sitting on the ground for somebody to discover.

• Like 1

With genuine respect, I don't believe those rights were bestowed by God. They were bestowed in blood. By Americans. Upon Americans.

And upon White Americans, at that.

Hah.

Well, I was painfully reminded of that scary sh** LoF/Cycloneman etc used to post about rights being constructed not inalienable.

I guess I'd say they arise from a universal sense and logical foundation. But I can totally see why it would seem like God for exactly this reason.

Still, they were won for the Americans in blood. I'm not sure it was actually worth breaking with Britain using blood. We're not so dissimilar now. But then maybe we wouldn't have been if the political establishment hadn't been traumatised by losing America.

I have a generally Churchillian and affectionate regard for our cousins.

And now I want waffles. And brandy. And a cigar.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Are you guys being weirded out by the "God"-part? You can always change it to Santa claus, the sun or your mother if it makes you feel better. Or do you think that armed self-defence in itself is bad? Just curious.

I do think that Zimmerman is morally responsible for the situation however, but not legally. 

For most of my growing up, the term "God given" has just been used without any religious connotations associated with it.  I was curious if that was the usage here, or if there is on some level an assumption that the Second Amendment is a straight up reflection of a natural (or even supernatural) law.

for some reason, on re-reading that particular post... I'm wondering if god went on the 10th day "Screw it! SHOTGUNS FOR EVERYBODY!" and left a pristine Remmington 500 just sitting on the ground for somebody to discover.

First of all, if god were to do such a thing he would CLEARLY have given everyone a gun designed by St. John Moses Browning. In the case of shotguns this means the lever action 1887, the pump-action 1897, or the Auto-5. There is also the 1910 but a 10 Gauge shotgun is right out. Secondly, you either meant the Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Meh, I really don't care that much about guns, so take your pick. It was just a point of illustration that humanity gave us guns and yet somehow owning and keeping guns is magically a god given right.

I mean, if it was god given, wouldn't it just be rocks and tree branches like when we were first maturing as a species (and a pack of rapists)?

Plus, as far as race goes, Zimmerman isn't white no matter how people spin it. He is hispanic... but, that doesn't work for the story. He has to be a white guy... yet, when it comes to immigration story people paint republicans as racist towards hispanics... Talk abotu having it both way. :p

Hispanic is white in the same way French or Irish are white. At one point the conservative elements felt the same way about the Irish as they do about Hispanicswth regard to immigration.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

"Hispanic is white in the same way French or Irish are white."

No. Only if you are insane.

To say the French and Hispanic are both white is laughable.

It is illogical it doesn't make sense.

You put say a French and British side by side there is no descernible difference in their skin colour.

You put a French person beside a Hispanic there is a difference in skin colour.

I guarantee you, you saw me  and din't know my background, you could mistake me as most European country even though background wise I'm 90% french, some Indiain, and abunch of European countries mixed in. But, you would never look at me, and say, hey guyz, look at the Hispanic dude.

So, don't be silly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Hispanic or Latino are in offical vocabulary marked meaning ethinical groups that have their roots in Spain or ancient Hispania. Which means that hispanic people can be from any race.

United States Census Bureau has five categories for race:

• White
  • Black or African American
  • Native American or Alaska Native
  • Asian
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander

And as you can see darker white skin that is typical in Mediterranean and Latin America is not marked as it own race.

• Like 1

The fact hispanics are referred to as white dates back to the fight over their civil rights. For most of it, (until brown pride) they were fighting to be recognized as "white" by the government, and thus enjoy the civil protections of being white while allowing the African population to just get run over.

Basically it was "We can do what you can do Mr. White Sir, because there's only to races on the books, and we certainly ain't black!"

Hispanic or Latino are in offical vocabulary marked meaning ethinical groups that have their roots in Spain or ancient Hispania. Which means that hispanic people can be from any race.

United States Census Bureau has five categories for race:

• White
  • Black or African American
  • Native American or Alaska Native
  • Asian
  • Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander

And as you can see darker white skin that is typical in Mediterranean and Latin America is not marked as it own race.

I believe that there are actually distinctions, and that people are referred to as "White Hispanic" or "Black Hispanic" and so forth.

If there's something I learnt from this thread, it's that not everything is black and white.

well-played-sir-well-played.jpg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

"Hispanic is white in the same way French or Irish are white."

No. Only if you are insane.

To say the French and Hispanic are both white is laughable.

It is illogical it doesn't make sense.

You put say a French and British side by side there is no descernible difference in their skin colour.

You put a French person beside a Hispanic there is a difference in skin colour.

I guarantee you, you saw me  and din't know my background, you could mistake me as most European country even though background wise I'm 90% french, some Indiain, and abunch of European countries mixed in. But, you would never look at me, and say, hey guyz, look at the Hispanic dude.

So, don't be silly.

Irish are considered white and at one point no true white American wanted any of those filthy Irish in their country either.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Hispanics aren't really considered white because of the Arab and Moor influence both cultural and genetic during the whole Al-Andalus thing which lasted for 3/4 of a millenia. Then there was the whole Spanish empire and further mingling with the native populations in their colonies.

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."