Cheats and developer console availability

A lesson from the old Infinity Engine games and Bethesda: the players can be much more forgiving when it comes to bugs and glitches if you give them access to a tool that allows them to fix the problem immediately or to create a workaround.

Let's face it, no matter how good you are, **** happens, and you can't make everyone happy.

Sometimes the game eats a quest item, a door refuses to open, a dialogue flag is not correctly registered, sometimes a monster becomes impossible to kill, sometimes the player is unhappy with something and just want to retouch his character without restarting the game.
Sometimes you want to untether your ****ing co-op game... or just want to have fun tinkering with the game.

So, if possible, please don't make the console too hard to reach and to use.

• Like 4

I've come to burn your kingdom down

I must be weird, I would rather this were not in the game.  I am sure it will be, but be real, 99% of people who use it won't be doing it to get around a bug.  It will be to make themselves have infinite money, max level, the best weapons, etc etc.

Yes, but I don't mind having cheat options available to me for playthroughs beyond my first.  Sure, I played the bethesda games all traditional-like, but I also enjoyed toying around with help from the console.  Sometimes it's fun to play for serious, and sometimes for not-so-serious.

Having a little help when the game bugs out on me helps too.

... sometimes a monster becomes impossible to kill ...

Yeah, I get ya. ;)

I must be weird, I would rather this were not in the game.  I am sure it will be, but be real, 99% of people who use it won't be doing it to get around a bug.  It will be to make themselves have infinite money, max level, the best weapons, etc etc.

So?

• Like 5

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

if people want to ruin their own game you really can't stop them. You can make it less interesting, but you can't prevent it.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Come on. If John Smith decides to cheat the hell out of the game, how much does that affect us? Nothing at all. I doubt there will be a massive outcry from the backers blaming the console for ruining their game experience.

Ain't nothing wrong with having the console easily available. I'm 100 hours into Fallout: New Vegas, and I constantly use the console (screw achievements) to save/load, take advanced screenshots, drop stuck quest items and free myself if I've gotten stuck in something.

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."