"Tiax rules all!"

How dare you associate Tiax with a thread on minor characters!  Clearly he was the central character of all stories on the Sword Coast.

Tiax will see you reduced in stature when he ascends :p

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Oohh... the rush of memories. You sir, OP, done both great good and great evil by starting this thread. :)

Luis the Armoire from PS:T -- Best pervert in any videogame

Tarmas from NWN2 tutorial --  "Enjoying the Fair? Packs of feral children set loose to find trinkets, grown men braining one another with clubs... Do you know they're actually granting prizes for the fattest pig? As if the creatures needed encouragement. " Always cracks me up!

Hamous from Jagged Alliance 1/2 -- "Dog!" (when jaguar-like feline animals attack you in random encounters)

I'm sure there is more...

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

Gee, you sure are patient. I've run out of things to say.

There was an even more extreme version of this "click on me once more" NPC in Anachronox. The guy (you can find him on Democratus) had 50 unique lines first, then started a routine of acknowledging every 10th click, with the occasional unique line for every 50 or 100 clicks, up until... the 500th click. That's when he stole all of your money and disappeared!

I'm not kidding you. Best dev trolling ever.

You could find him nearby after the disappearance, and he gave you back all your money plus 500 credits, which was small change at that point in the game. But that moment when he's gone, and you stare at the screen dumbfounded, WTF?!? sprawled all across your face... priceless! This is one piece of the "characteristic Tom Hall humor" all the Anachronox reviews are mentioning someplace.

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Any character in Alpha Protocol you see as minor (except Sis and Hong Shi), though especially the ice cream guy. I don't think I have ever been so scared/stressed in a game ever.

VtmB: again, most of them, special mention to the woman who remember you from before you turned, Grout, Heather (for creeping me out), and Jack.

Morrowind: falling from the sky dude.

My favorite minor NPC in a CRPG doesn't even have a proper name.

Man, that tongue-lashing so early in the game... I was taken aback, confused, amused, and immediately fell in love with the cant. :)

post-42001-0-57897800-1390170461_thumb.png

• Like 3

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I remember reading all that and thinking "wtf why is there all this unnecessary chat from characters that don't offer me quests!?!" The power of hindsight (and the loss of story driven cRPGS) has made me see the beauty and depth contained within that incredibly verbose game :)

I was fond of Yakman. Lonely lonely Yakman running from the demons. The skeletal children and the wandering geezer at the bottom of the ocean were also great characters from Grim Fandango. Let's see...just about every character from Psychonaughts was great, minor or otherwise. Humor generally makes for a great minor NPC, as other characteristics generally need more development to give a character real memorability.

• Like 1

My favorite minor NPC in a CRPG doesn't even have a proper name.

Man, that tongue-lashing so early in the game... I was taken aback, confused, amused, and immediately fell in love with the cant. :)

I now wonder if there is indeed a portal to the 2817th plane of the Abyss.  And whether the Vorpal Hammer she mentions is there, seems too specific in it's name ot be made up...

EDIT:  Just realised, with the way the planes work her saying stuff like that could actually make them real anyway, so let's believe her and go get them!!! :D

Edited by FlintlockJazz
  • Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Just to name a few:

BG1 - Portalbendarwinden, Melinkamp, Albert and Ruffie, the kid with the drowned cat, and the chanters in Candlekeep garden (God, I can still hear them in my head), Silence from the shop of Silence ("Is ye friend or is ye dead?")...

BG2 - pretty much all citizens of Athkatla, from the street kids ("My mamma works in the Copper Coronet. What's a slattern?"), to the noblemen/women ("I don't usually speak to the likes of you, but hello"), to prostitutes ("Well if ye wants to go strapping with this nab, you'll first have to give up the socket-money."). Also Dradeel ("You have lots of time for reflection while waiting for the endless waves of bad-doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you're asleep."), the beholder from Shauagin city, the Lesser demonlord from the underdark ("It is most amusing, daughter darkling, the child of Bhaal has murdered you.").

IWD2 - the captain's mom (the way she talks... Ravel, is that you?), the two mercenaries in the pallisade boasting about their vermin extermination activities ("We made five gold!" PC: "I can pull five gold out of my stool."), Boghrob the giant ("They'se da ones wat smashed up the ice castle and they killed me brudda...").
PS:T - Dhall, the black abishai, the elderly hive dweller, Reekwind, Adahn, O, Ingress, the Starved dogs barking, the floating skull near the portal in Curst Gone (I also love Coaxmetal, but I don't think he counts as a minor character).

Nothing gold can stay.

Myron BABY!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Heya!!

Hi, I'm Noober. Nice place, huh?

So, killed any monsters yet?

Ever been to Baldur's Gate? I've been to Baldur's Gate.

Ugh, I think i stepped in something.

Everyone in town used to throw rocks at me and tell me I was annoying.

What time is it?

I haven't had a conversation this long, well...ever!

What's that big weapon for?

Those colours look pretty stoopid on you...

I once knew this guy called Dilby. He threw rocks at me too. Are you gonna throw rocks at me?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

BZZZT!!

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

What about now?

Gee, you sure are patient. I've run out of things to say.

I killed that guy. It was one of few times in games whn playing evil guy, really felt good and rewarding. God bless tutu and desintegrate spell. Petrify is nice too.

magic021.jpg

^ Didn't you actually get 200XP for listening to him all the way through?

While mildly humorous, that was also a horrible XP system foul, heh. They could've just given you a silly item or something. Or a funny status effect.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm trying to remember one from Jade Empire, but I'm not really coming up with anything. The closest is the foreigner you duel in the park, but that's mostly due to how out-of-place he was. Other than that, the only memorable characters were the companions (Hou was great) and the antagonists.

x3Eygjo.gifKPBoUwC.gif

I'm trying to remember one from Jade Empire, but I'm not really coming up with anything. The closest is the foreigner you duel in the park, but that's mostly due to how out-of-place he was. Other than that, the only memorable characters were the companions (Hou was great) and the antagonists.

I think you nailed it - that wacko is the only npc outside of main cast I can remember clearly. No wonder given how much he stood out (and how self centered ass-hat he was). Besides him I vaguely remember ghosts of two (?) kids in the ruined village... I think? So, no competition for Sir Roderick the outlander here.

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

I think you nailed it - that wacko is the only npc outside of main cast I can remember clearly. No wonder given how much he stood out (and how self centered ass-hat he was). Besides him I vaguely remember ghosts of two (?) kids in the ruined village... I think? So, no competition for Sir Roderick the outlander here.

They did grab John Cleese for the part and hyped up his appearance.

Anyway, I remember a.. some sort of official, mayor or something, in the village with the damn. You'd meet him later in the capital.

He worked because he was such a whiny incompetent loser. Almost worked out according to the games open/closed principles.

Open Fist: Help him out, help the town. -> help an incompetent leader maintain his post and rise in the bureucratic ladder.

Closed Fist: Don't help, damage the town. - > weed out the weak, maybe the next leader can improve things.

Of course, the actual gameplay didn't really follow the ideals and the whole thing devolved into the usual:

"I'll do bad things because I'm a psycopathic arse. And philosophy".

• Like 1

^ Didn't you actually get 200XP for listening to him all the way through?

While mildly humorous, that was also a horrible XP system foul, heh. They could've just given you a silly item or something. Or a funny status effect.

I think it was 400. (The real humor is when a party member levels up as a result.)

• Like 1

maybe the guy who loved his cow more than his wife ?

troll.gifseatroll.gificetroll.giftroll.gif

An ex-biophysicist but currently Studying Schwarzschild singularities' black holes' Hawking radiation using LAZORS and hypersonic sound wave models.

My main objective is to use my results to take over the world!

Hey guys first post. love the topic.

Therese and Jeanette from Vampire Bloodlines, thou they're not that minor I suppose. Well, besides for Grey Delisles amazing voice acting the girls are just lovely. :)

The merchant and Hunnigan from resident evil 4. Well, the merchant is just awesome and I felt Hunnigan was a really cool character even when you don't meet her "in the flesh".

Agent Parasini from the Mass Effect trilogy (first met in noveria). Even as a minor character, I really felt that she was convincing and with alot of personality.

maybe the guy who loved his cow more than his wife ?

Wait, wasn't that an NPC from Divinity 2?

<sudden enlightenment> Oh right, Divinity 2 had a farmer loving his PIG more than his wife, so now I wonder if it was a homage to the JE or just a coincidence.

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Glad to see people mention Diablo 1 characters... Such a memorable game. My friend often quotes the guy outside of the cathedral that talks about the Butcher. :lol: Perfect example really of a memorable minor character.

Edited by Sir Chaox

Planescape Torment:

- Coaxmetal - the golem weaponsmith working towards the demise of the Planes

- Trias the Betrayer - a fallen celestial imprisoned in Carceri

- Deionarra - tortured by unrequited Love towards the Nameless One

Glad to see people mention Diablo 1 characters... Such a memorable game. My friend often quotes the guy outside of the cathedral that talks about the Butcher. :lol: Perfect example really of a memorable minor character.

I still remember how horrified and sad I was when I saw that I had to fight Griswold in Diablo 2.  That whole Tristram level was like having to kill everything that I liked about that game, as none of the new characters I met seemed to have as much personality as they did.  Wirt, the witch, Cain, Ogden, Farnham, all seemed to have stories that felt cut short...

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams