Syrian civil war

Walsingham

We're going to have to agree to disagree then my friend. If you put a Sunni & a Shia together in a room and informed each that the other was the last of his kind they would fight to the death. They will stop fighting only when one has wiped other out. And then they remaining ones will look for someone else to fight. No one can help them.

Time has a wonderful way of making differences irrelevant. There are tons of examples in history where two sides eventually unite for the greater good.

It's already happened in the US. We have a bunch of non-denominational mosques in my area alone.

that's what happens when you live in a country where its illegal to kill people because they are a different faith rather than it being encouraged.

• Like 2
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What Oerwinde said.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

We're going to have to agree to disagree then my friend. If you put a Sunni & a Shia together in a room and informed each that the other was the last of his kind they would fight to the death. They will stop fighting only when one has wiped other out. And then they remaining ones will look for someone else to fight. No one can help them.

Time has a wonderful way of making differences irrelevant. There are tons of examples in history where two sides eventually unite for the greater good.

It's already happened in the US. We have a bunch of non-denominational mosques in my area alone.

that's what happens when you live in a country where its illegal to kill people because they are a different faith rather than it being encouraged.

Because that worked so well in northern Ireland.

In fact thorough most of western history persecuting religious minorities was a favorite community past-time.

Because that worked so well in northern Ireland.

In fact thorough most of western history persecuting religious minorities was a favorite community past-time.

I think Northern Ireland is a little different in that the Protestents were largely seen as invaders rather than just being a schism in an existing group, or in the case of North America, being a place opressed minorities fled to. At this point both sides should just suck it up. The catholic Irish have their own country, Northern Ireland voted to stay part of the UK, if the catholics can't learn to live with it, move to Ireland, and both sides need to stop antagonizing each other.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/01/21/saudi-inmates-fight-syria-commute-death-sentences/1852629/

Now, assuming this true, this pretty weird - they sent a penal legion to fight.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2013/01/21/saudi-inmates-fight-syria-commute-death-sentences/1852629/

Now, assuming this true, this pretty weird - they sent a penal legion to fight.

Because that's what all civil wars need: more rapists and drug dealers.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Here's a fantastic solution. Good to see some people donned the thinking cap.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24022866

US government are pathological liars.

Firstly John Kerry say  " that Syrian President Bashar Assad could end the crisis by turning over all his chemical weapons."

Russia proposed solution - Syria accepted.

But now the State Department walked back the remarks; spokeswoman Marie Harf called them "rhetorical" and "hypothetical."

:lol:

Watching John Kerry's original 'proposal' live was unintentionally hilarious, as you could actually see him pause half way through, wince, and think "oh asterisks, I've really screwed the pooch here, haven't I?". Yeah, give the Syrians stall room anyone could take advantage of, give any waverers on your side a bail out option and give everyone else another reason to advocate delay. And all right before you're going to have Obama going on tele to try and rally support. While I'm kind of glad they've been so cack handed as it makes intervention less likely it does rather typify the entire Obama administration that they cannot even get the basics of propaganda/ PR campaigning right.

• Like 2

So what's the score here? Will we see World War 3 by the end of this week?

'Fraid not, old boy. So you can put down that book on cooking human flesh by Delia Smith.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Watching John Kerry's original 'proposal' live was unintentionally hilarious, as you could actually see him pause half way through, wince, and think "oh asterisks, I've really screwed the pooch here, haven't I?". Yeah, give the Syrians stall room anyone could take advantage of, give any waverers on your side a bail out option and give everyone else another reason to advocate delay. And all right before you're going to have Obama going on tele to try and rally support. While I'm kind of glad they've been so cack handed as it makes intervention less likely it does rather typify the entire Obama administration that they cannot even get the basics of propaganda/ PR campaigning right.

Interesting but if Obama had attacked Syria you would be saying typical  "America warmongering" or " American Imperialism"

But because Obama is asking for a vote, and adhering as closely as he can to the principles of Democracy, on a difficult and unpopular decision he is considered weak. So its a lose lose situation for him in your eyes hey Zor :)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Think the weakness is being unable to rally support for it. I guess Republicans are being obstructionist, if Romney was in, they'd be all hard for bombing Syria I feel.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Think the weakness is being unable to rally support for it. I guess Republicans are being obstructionist, if Romney was in, they'd be all hard for bombing Syria I feel.

Or you can see it as many Americans have grave concerns around intervention in Syria and this has represented itself in the uncertainty on Capitol Hill

This should  be an example of the strength of the American democracy and Obamas presidency and not seen in any negative light.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I dunno, doesn't seem like he's really getting any support in his own party without even looking at the Repubs.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Or you can see it as many Americans have grave concerns around intervention in Syria and this has represented itself in the uncertainty on Capitol Hill

This should  be an example of the strength of the American democracy and Obamas presidency and not seen in any negative light.

Well, for a politician he should be able to deceive and sucker the people in. But I guess the past decade had too much of that and people catch on.

Looks like Syria is ok with the proposal

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/10/politics/us-syria-obama-solutions/

Syria capitulating basically gives Obama an out on the whole call for military strikes.  I'm guessing he will take it.

I agree but only if Syria adheres to the dismantling of all Chemical weapons in an effective and timely manner

John Milton 

I thought I ought to post this as reinforcing GD's views:

From the BBC, an Italian journalist describes his captors, upon release from being a hostage.

"Our captors were from a group that professed itself to be Islamist but that in reality is made up of mixed-up young men who have joined the revolution because the revolution now belongs to these groups that are midway between banditry and fanaticism," he said.

"They follow whoever promises them a future, gives them weapons, gives them money to buy cell phones, computers, clothes."

Such groups, he said, were trusted by the West but were in truth profiting from the revolution to "take over territory, hold the population to ransom, kidnap people and fill their pockets".

Mr Quirico said he and his fellow captive were kept "like animals, locked in small rooms with windows closed despite the great heat, thrown on straw mattresses, giving us the scraps from their meals to eat".

He said his guards seemed to take no interest in anything other money and weapons - spending entire days lounging on mattresses, smoking and watching old black-and-white Egyptian movies or American wrestling shows on television.

Once, Mr Quirico said he had borrowed a mobile phone from a wounded rebel fighter to call home. "It was the only gesture of pity I received in 152 days of captivity," he said.

"Even children and old people tried to hurt us. Maybe I am putting this in overly ethical terms but in Syria I really found a country of evil," he said.

Paradoxically, he said, "the only ones who treated us with humanity were those closest to al-Qaeda", because they had an attitude towards prisoners - a code of conduct - that other captors lacked.

-Elwood Blues

I thought I ought to post this as reinforcing GD's views:

From the BBC, an Italian journalist describes his captors, upon release from being a hostage.

"Our captors were from a group that professed itself to be Islamist but that in reality is made up of mixed-up young men who have joined the revolution because the revolution now belongs to these groups that are midway between banditry and fanaticism," he said.

"They follow whoever promises them a future, gives them weapons, gives them money to buy cell phones, computers, clothes."

Such groups, he said, were trusted by the West but were in truth profiting from the revolution to "take over territory, hold the population to ransom, kidnap people and fill their pockets".

Mr Quirico said he and his fellow captive were kept "like animals, locked in small rooms with windows closed despite the great heat, thrown on straw mattresses, giving us the scraps from their meals to eat".

He said his guards seemed to take no interest in anything other money and weapons - spending entire days lounging on mattresses, smoking and watching old black-and-white Egyptian movies or American wrestling shows on television.

Once, Mr Quirico said he had borrowed a mobile phone from a wounded rebel fighter to call home. "It was the only gesture of pity I received in 152 days of captivity," he said.

"Even children and old people tried to hurt us. Maybe I am putting this in overly ethical terms but in Syria I really found a country of evil," he said.

Paradoxically, he said, "the only ones who treated us with humanity were those closest to al-Qaeda", because they had an attitude towards prisoners - a code of conduct - that other captors lacked.

This article smacks of bias and of someone who is generalizing about the entire rebel force, this article paints the Syrian rebels in a bad light because of his experience in one division?

John Milton