"Slacker Backer" needs a new name

"Slacker Backer" if I'm interested in pre-ordering the game, that's no going to be the most encouraging thing to see.

It's a small item sure, but if you're pre-ordering a game almost a year (more than a year?) in advance I wouldn't want to be called a "slacker" for it. I'd just suggest changing it to "pre-order" and be done with it. Oh, and put it on Steam when possible. Planetary Annihilation was, while early access, still $90 and was up on the top 10 best selling titles on Steam for a while. More pre-orders of PE are good for everyone, though having a proper title may be helpful as well.

We need late to the party or the party doesn't start till you join in backer options.

• Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I can't believe there's no 10 hour version of that on youtube!

• Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

"fashionably late"

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

While you might get trolled for this post... I agree.  Slacker Backer has always seemed like a stupid name for it from the outset and Obsidian was not the first to use the term. 

• Like 1

"Past Master of the Back Door Entry"?

I dunno, I didn't see the issue with the name, to be honest.

The thing is there's a conceptual difference between pre-order and crowdfunding. IE the entire Kickstarter campaign wasn't just a bunch of pre-orders.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

While you might get trolled for this post... I agree.  Slacker Backer has always seemed like a stupid name for it from the outset and Obsidian was not the first to use the term. 

It's a fairly disrespectful way to refer to folks who support you or you would like to support you methinks.

How about "Order of the Pre-Order."

Or even "Customer."  You know, what you call people who have paid for a product.  :grin: 

The product doesn't exist when you're seeking funding for it. So you're not a customer you're a backer.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I actually wholeheartedly agree with the OP. I am not a late backer (backed first day), but "slacker backer" is a bit demeaning in a way for people that support you. And don't fool yourselves into thinking a pre-order, even after the initial KS run, is not supporting the developer. I also vote for a change in the title/name. It might seem a small thing, but imho it's the small things that matter.

Or even "Customer."  You know, what you call people who have paid for a product.  :grin: 

The product doesn't exist when you're seeking funding for it. So you're not a customer you're a backer.

So people who pre-order games that aren't done yet are "backers"?  

Generally pre-orders are made available by retailers, and the money doesn't go to the developer until the game is released. In the case of digital distribution pre-orders, usually developers wait till the game is near completion(like 6 months ahead).

How's about Beta Backer? Maybe the initial people were alpha backers?

Err... Reinforcement Backer? You know... the battle's already begun, but they join in anyway.

Reinforcements are important to battles. So that's not as negative. Though it's also 7,000 times less catchy.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

How's about Beta Backer? Maybe the initial people were alpha backers?

Err... Reinforcement Backer? You know... the battle's already begun, but they join in anyway.

Reinforcements are important to battles. So that's not as negative. Though it's also 7,000 times less catchy.

Beta Backer sounds more like Beta Blocker.

• Like 1

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Bob?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Green Light Backers

Oh I guess that might be confusing...

Expansion Backers

Hmm, maybe not. How about...

Carpet Backers

Stacker Backers

Ah, never mind.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

So people who pre-order games that aren't done yet are "backers"?  

As the other guy said, if a game is cancelled when pre-ordered the customer gets his money back. People need to understand that not a single one of us has "pre-ordered" a game. We have funded a game and hope to get something in return, provided everything goes as planned. We are not customers in any way, and there is not even any certainty the game will even be made. That is the preimse of Kickstarter, you take a risk and hope to get something in return.

I think that PE will manage just nicely but this whole idea that backers are pre-ordering customers is a perception that needs to be cleared up.

• Like 4

I pledged through paypal about a week or two after the end of the Kickstarter campaign, so I believe that I may be a "slacker backer." Just to throw in my two cents, this title doesn't bother me at all. It seems as if I may be in the minority on this, but I don't see anything disrespectful about the name. We're backing, but not doing so as early as those that backed the KS campaign. Pretty straightforward. Also clearly a light-hearted play on words; I can't see how someone can take offense at this.

• Like 3

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate