Prank death DJ sues her employer

Walsingham

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23243308

"A DJ behind a royal prank call linked to the death of a UK nurse has sued her employer, saying it failed to provide a safe workplace, local media say."

Oh well done. I thought she was a vapid cretin before. Now I know she is a self-obsessed vapid cretin.

She does something irresponsible and then sues her employer for how she behaved? WTF?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"A DJ behind a royal prank call linked to the death of a UK nurse has sued her employer, saying it failed to provide a safe workplace, local media say."

Oh well done. I thought she was a vapid cretin before. Now I know she is a self-obsessed vapid cretin.

She does something irresponsible and then sues her employer for how she behaved? WTF?

I clearly remember this tragic incident, but I am confused how she can sue the radio for not providing a safe workplace? The 2 DJ's played a hoax and then one of them is still off the air but somehow this is related to the workplace not being a safe place?  :unsure:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

One DJ has their job back and didn't have a problem with the safe work environment at the time. He's not suing. But the other DJ didn't get her job back and is now suing for an unsafe work environment. When they made the prank call, there weren't any complaints about an unsafe work environment from them while they were laughing. More like a case of sour grapes. The way our laws are here in Australia, she'll probably get a nice pay out.

I don't listen to that radio station anyway. It's a radio station for bogans.

Ah. I have heard of bogans. They are like sunburned orcs, correct?

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Prank was silly, could cost someone their job. Someone losing it and killing themselves is hard to foresee. Oh well, whole lot of nothing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I agree that the death was pretty unexpected. But doing something like that which is quite predictably about trying to con privileged information out of someone... that's going to get them fired.

Getting people fired isn't ****ing funny.

-Elwood Blues

Pranks in general aren't funny, not sure why people enjoy them.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Because deflating truly pompous people is a worthy endeavour.

Mithering nursing staff not so much.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

Pranks in general aren't funny, not sure why people enjoy them.

But you find me very funny, right Malc ?

You always seem to laugh at my jokes  :biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Because deflating truly pompous people is a worthy endeavour.

Mithering nursing staff not so much.

I can't say I've seen many pranks that are about "deflating truly pompous people".  All the ones I've seen or heard are "lets make someone look stupid to the public and laugh at them" with pomposity being irrelevant.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Well, yes. Unfortunately the natural supply of targets doesn't match the desire to generate laughs. Hence lots of unfunny phone pranks targeting people at Dominos and so on.

I don't even begin to see what's funny about targeting a nurse. I suppose the misconception was that the Royal family are up for being taken down a peg or two. But that's just broken logic.

-Elwood Blues

I'm not sure I see a connection between the prank call and the death. Who would kill themselves over a bunch of waste of space royals. 

Because she lost her job, having handed out confidential information in a non-secure fashion. I should say as her boss I'd have been inclined to cut her slack. But it is a seriously disciplinary offence whoever the patient is.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Full disclosure: until she committed suicide I deliberately ignored the story as just adding fuel to the fire. You may know more.

Anyone confirm facts?

-Elwood Blues

I'm not sure I see a connection between the prank call and the death. Who would kill themselves over a bunch of waste of space royals.

Shame of being fooled so easily, and maybe being chewed out over work. Perhaps it was just the little push that was all that was left for her to lose it.

I believe she committed suicide due to the shame of being hoodwinked and allowing the call to go through. I don't think she was fired. Did she take it too personally? In my books yes I think she did but it doesn't change the reality of the shame she felt. So the hoax caused her suicide and that is something the DJ have to live with

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Why would anyone prank call a woman who'd just been rushed into hospital for pregnancy complications in the first place? Whether a celebrity or not, that seems to be an extremely tasteless and quite frankly stupid thing to do. Hopefully if the young lady recieves a payout of some sort, then the dead nurses family can then sue her for their emotional and financial distress.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Why would anyone prank call a woman who'd just been rushed into hospital for pregnancy complications in the first place? Whether a celebrity or not, that seems to be an extremely tasteless and quite frankly stupid thing to do. Hopefully if the young lady recieves a payout of some sort, then the dead nurses family can then sue her for their emotional and financial distress.

I hear you, I don't think anyone is questioning how abhorrent the hoax was under the circumstances.

John Milton 

Guess: prank was actually approved at a higher echelon and djs were left holding the bag. Other one was taken quietly back in, but this one's looking for a settlement for being the scapegoat.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Full disclosure: until she committed suicide I deliberately ignored the story as just adding fuel to the fire. You may know more.

Anyone confirm facts?

From what was reported that I can tell -

• She wasn't fired, suspended or disciplined
  • One of the suicide notes did criticize the Hospital Administration but it was for a previous disagreement between her and another employee she felt the hospital didn't properly address.
  • She blamed the DJs for her death in the third suicide note
  • She had attempted suicide before

The last one is really the one that is the most important to my mind; with an anonymous prank like this you have no clue who you're dealing with and whether they have pre-existing struggles that could trigger a suicide or rage or if they'll just shrug and go "whatever".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Understood. At which point I would sugest a normal risk assesment is

Win vs Fail

I can already get my head around deciding it was a good prank. But only by abandoning a sense of fair play and respect. Which I suppose isn't so very rare.

-Elwood Blues

Wals, I feel the need to hire an older English gent to read your thread titles for me.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Wals, I feel the need to hire an older English gent to read your thread titles for me.

I would recommend Michael Williams, but sadly he's dead.

-Elwood Blues