Update by Polina Hristova, Concept Artist/Nightmare Engineer and Brandon Adler, Producery Type

Q: And where do you draw your inspiration from?

A: Nature. Nature will always have us concept artists beat. =) It does some weird ****. =D

My favorite answer in the interview too. :) (OMG the blob fish is disgusting.)

Also, kendo? Racking up the cool points there.

You've done great concept art for PE so far (though plenty of people didn't seem to understand the difference between your concept sketches and actual marketing art). 

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Update's been and gone though so too late! Shafted bAdley

What is that on the tablet btw? From the looks of it it's either an area concept in the works or a weird view of environment art that you're painting over

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

What kind of shenanigans is this? How do you have interview wih a super talented artist and not share any of her work :'(

Can you say what software you guys are using? When you do the dev commentary for the game can ya talk in detail how you concepted some assets?

Thanks for the update :-D

I use Adobe photoshop CS6 =) 

What kind of details are you interested in?

What is that on the tablet btw? From the looks of it it's either an area concept in the works or a weird view of environment art that you're painting over

Its another critter and some reference.

• Like 3

What on earth is a spear (!) spider?! I do appreciate the alliteration, but good grief, giant spiders are my least favourite monsters in games. 

"You are poisoned by Massive Creepy Crawler. Ha ha."

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

"You cast the last healing spell you have after the big battle you just went through."

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

"You die. Ha ha."

Every time.

• Like 4

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Yes oh yes! Spiders are in! Take that, arachnophobes!

This gives me creeps in connection with your new signature picture

What on earth is a spear (!) spider?! I do appreciate the alliteration, but good grief, giant spiders are my least favourite monsters in games. 

"You are poisoned by Massive Creepy Crawler. Ha ha."

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

"You cast the last healing spell you have after the big battle you just went through."

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

-1 HP

"You die. Ha ha."

Every time.

There are things like antidotes and spells cure poison or restoration. Maybe even some immunity spells. But yeah, spiders are MOSTLY pretty generic, but dont loose hopes

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Hmmm, the "spear" of a spear spider could be some kind of stinger, which it uses to poke you and suck your soul bits out. Or it just has spear-shaped front legs and uses them to stab its prey to death. 

edit:

Oh and I'm very jelly of the awesome écorché Polina's hugging! Those man-dolls sure cost a fortune, but I can imagine they're pretty useful. Ah well, some of us have to make do with using a mirror for anatomy reference. :))

Edited by Merlkir

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Its another critter and some reference.

Oh yeah my bad, I didn't see the silhouette on the right. Looks Bizarre :)

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for this comment I made on this image in the Update 46 thread

While the Concept art of the underground area isn't my favourite art style - a bit colorful and cartoonish looking ... the layout and design is VERY reminiscent of Dragon's Eye cave from IWD1, which is very pleasing :)

Josh actually mentioned that comment on another forum and I felt bad.

I did not think of the time it must take to do full color versions of concept art (such as the Godlike portrait) which Josh Sawyer said took you over a week to complete versus the amount of concepts that you have to do. I did actually really like the drawing and am excited to see the area. Sorry if I gave you guys the wrong impression.

Edited by Sensuki

traveling to national parks, watching movies, playing games, being weird and goofy, swimming, kendo,

Marry me.
  • Like 5

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Dunno, if it has already been mentioned, but she has her own website too (also check the "blog" section there):

http://www.polinadesign.com/

Wow that website has some amazing designs around creatures, nice one Polina :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

DRAGONS!

(and I love your art style, Polina! Bucket loads of talent and skill!) 

• Like 1
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

Nice interview, thanks. :)

Q: What are you working on this week?

A: This week I wrapped finished up some critters: the drake and the spear spider.

Ah, guess we were all wrong when we said it was either a wyrm, a wurm, a dragon, or a thestral. :p

I've worked on Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2, PlayStation Move Heroes, some other unannounced titles (some of which will sadly never see the light of day), and the Dungeon Siege 3 DLC: Treasures of the Sun.

DS3 was a beautiful game, I loved the creatures, the outfits, character models, almost everything.

You mean you aren't going to show up your concepts for the Drake and the spear spider. that's mean.

Heh... she wanted to, but I was the meanie. Can't show everything just yet. ;)

Good, I want some surprises left for the actual playing the game. ;)