What type are you (good, netural, evil) and what is your play style?

I would say my personal play style is Law Evil, I always take that but in truth it is Chaotic Evil. I am the kind of player that takes the quest to find the missing husband and/or return his wedding ring if he has meet his demise (always has!). So I take the quest (I want the XP and quest reward), I find it and return. Now I do one of two things, I either say no I didn't find the ring (I will sell it or keep it if useful) and get half the XP and quest item/money (or none) reward or I will say here you go, get full XP reward and quest items/gold. I then proceed to kill her and hopefully get back the ring (sometimes some how vanishes) and what ever she was carrying (gravy) for even more XP. Yes I am an evil player.

I usually play rogue. She tries to maintain a friendly and dependable outward appearance while calculating what will get her the greatest advantage. Her philanthropy garners her allies and friends, favours. But if she really want something, she'll fluff you up.

Longtime friendships are more valuable than gold, and she'll invest in them, it's the only thing bypassing the selfish nature of my rogue character.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I took the title to be a sex ad.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I almost always play "good" and do the right thing although I played SWTOR as an evil bastage that took the dark side choice every time.

In case you aren't aware, there is no alignment system in PE, only "reputations".

No I didn't know that, intresting. I am used to the alignment method in games, BG2 had a reputaion system as well, going to be intresting.

---First runs through rpg's I'm almost always "average good," but with a lot of thievery tossed in. Or at least morally neutral/non-committal. If there's a decided gameplay advantage to not being good (better gear reward vs. just gold/xp, or I'd get to keep a companion I want, say), I'll do it.

---Second runs, usually the same thing.

---Third runs ... I might start to take more of the "evil" options just to see what happens, then once I know, go back to being mostly good/neutral.

...generally speaking, while I love a good bad guy in movies/books, I don't find it all that entertaining to be one in video games - altho sometimes, it can make me lol.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

First time through I tend to a bit of a mixed character. I'll do 'evil' choices when dealing with situations where I think a harsher punishment (usually death) is more deserved than simply letting them go or turning them in to the authorities. I also tend to deal with shifty or annoying characters in 'evil' ways because I like to cheat cheaters and annoying characters have just earned my digital-ire. Beyond that I tend to do the 'good' choices. My second playthrough I tend to do straight up evil though I'm never a **** to my party members. After that I usually just ping-pong back and forth between good then evil.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

The problem, as has been discussed here before , is that the 'evil' option is mainly just the 'I have the short term perspective of a gnat' option.

Being a douche and being evil are two rather separate things.

• Like 4

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Being a douche and being evil are two rather separate things.

Palpatine = evil

Young adult, pre-Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker = douche

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

well im definitely a chaotic character. all 3rd edition dnd games i played, i started as true neutral (50-50) and ended up somewhere between chaotic neutral and good (0-70 or 0-80) by making the choices i would do if the in game situations were real.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that evil takes project management.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It kind of depends on the game. Usually for fantasy RPGs I play Neutral to Good though and maybe multiple runs through might try some of the evil options. I'm not a fan of "whack a villager = +1 Evil" systems.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Even though there are a lot of issues with the standard D&D Alignment systems, I generally gravitate towards a mix between Chaotic Neutral and Chaotic Good. It makes firing into a Melee a whole lot more entertaining. 

vrnewsig.png

It depends on the game and the game world and characters and just my mood sometimes.  If the game is really generic and I don't find any compelling characters or causes, I'll usually play "standard good guy" and be done with it.  If the game has interesting enough factions and characters and gives me the freedom to explore different avenues then I'll often get latched on to a certain faction or cause and play accordingly.  If it's a compelling enough game I'll come back to it and play through again and again taking different approaches and "alignments".  I'm not sure what I'm going to do in Project Eternity, but I've sort of made up my mind that in Torment: Tides of Numenera I want to play as pacifist a character as possible, even if avoiding violence ultimately leads to far greater amounts of suffering and violence through my inaction.  Basically in the scenario of "A runaway trolley car is heading down a hill toward a group of 5 people.  You can push an innocent bystander in front of the trolley car which will kill the bystander but save the 5 people at the bottom of the hill (don't ask me how his body will bring the trolley car to a stop), or you can do nothing and the 5 people at the bottom of the hill will die." I would let the 5 people at the bottom of the hill die.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Ignoring the old DND alignments, I'd say the Sniper's credo from TF2 sums my default play style up well. "Be polite, be efficient, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet." If there's a peaceful solution, I'll usually go for it. I'll be civil to everyone who isn't actively obnoxious. I'll help the poor just for something to do, but anybody with a fat coin purse had better be willing to part with some of it before asking my aid. But every so often, some people just need an ax to the face, in which case I'll deliver it as soon as an opportunity presents itself, with the only mercy being a swift death.

Although, like Keyrock said, sometimes for a change I'll pick an interesting faction/religion and make myself a paragon of its credos and goals. It can be fun to work within constraints like that, and the PE Paladin class, from what I've read, sounds perfect for such game play.

Aspiring author, beer connoisseur, and general purpose wiseguy

Usually awful good; occasionally neutral smart-ass with good leanings. I don't find evil characters appealing, but the anti-hero role can be interesting.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Basically in the scenario of "A runaway trolley car is heading down a hill toward a group of 5 people.  You can push an innocent bystander in front of the trolley car which will kill the bystander but save the 5 people at the bottom of the hill (don't ask me how his body will bring the trolley car to a stop), or you can do nothing and the 5 people at the bottom of the hill will die." I would let the 5 people at the bottom of the hill die.

Someone has been watching Justice. Excellent series btw, wholly recommend it. Michael Sandel is fantastic.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Usually awful good; occasionally neutral smart-ass with good leanings. I don't find evil characters appealing, but the anti-hero role can be interesting.

not-sure-if-typo-or-on-purpose.jpg

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My favorite alignments to play are Neutral Good because it lets me be a good guy without having to consider BS like "But I promised this person...." etc etc.  Neutral Evil for the same reason as Neutral Good.  Lawful Evil because it is an interesting role play opportunity and allows for some really neat situations and actions.  But my all time favorite alignment to play is truly possibly most morally repugnant and potentially evil alignment of all time, Lawful Neutral.  They are just fun, great character to play.  They can go from being kind and generous to ruthlessly cut throat and brutal at a moments notice.  They have a code, they aren't necessarily morally bankrupt, and they aren't really out for number one characters per se.  They just have tons of flexibility and room without being completely without depth unlike Chaotic Neutral.  I just love playing Lawful Neutral.

Edited by Karkarov

well in games you generally are saving the world (or a small portion of it), so if yo murder some old ladies to help you along you end up neutral, not evil.  most games get that wrong.  heck they always forget that you are saving all their lives, merchants want you to give them money up front before you grab one of their swords and kill the men trying to kill the shop keeper.  so most 'goodly' npcs are really just neutral, and the neutral ones are mildly evil.

take mass effect for instance.  things start killing human colony worlds, human government sends you out to deal with things, future UN sends you out to deal with things in secret.  you save them all on a tight budget, then they discard you.  you return and say **** is about to hit the fan, humans see something is going on, but they ignore your work so you turn to the mafia to save their lives.  after you get proof they ignore you again, even though all trillions will die as a result.  thus the galactic leaders knowingly helped in a genocidal war, they are evil.  if you mugged every person you came across (game won't let you, but what if...) that would help you save the universe, and thus you would neutral at worst.  in BG you are saving the whole region, you would have to be pretty evil to cause more harm than good, the slider doesn't go anywhere close enough to achieve such levels, thus you can't really be evil in BG.  i could go on.