Romance, Marriage, Pregnancy and having Children.

This a discussion on these topics, I AM NOT holding a debate for or against it, I actually don't care how you feel about it. I managed to find an article about should children be in the game and people were saying they should be immortal, that BS IMO if you want realism. I have played BG2 and have never killed a child, thought never even entered into my mind as an option. So my thoughts on the matter, if it bothers you don't do it, simple as that.

I am new here so forgive me if it already covered and common knowledge on these topics, if it is I ask you to point me to the article/s so I can read up further on the subject/s. I did find a post about children, whether they should be in game or not, and the debate that followed if they should be killable or not. Personally I don't care about that, I am interested in marriage, romance and fathering (mothering? Doesn't seem right to fright with child) offspring. I find this intriguing and am interested if the option will ever be present, on launch, DLC or hopefully a mod (don't know if the game will be mod-able, let me know if it is please :D).

In BG2 there was Aerie, whom you could romance even have a kid with (how awesome is/was that!).

Sample dialogue from Aerie:

“I…I will show you my body (char name)…and I hope it pleases you. Would you…would you stay with me this night (char name)? Will you show me what true love consists of?”

“I’m such a silly woman. Whining and crying…I must seem so ridiculous and petty. No man will ever want me I think…I feel so embarrassed.”

So I hope to have the option of doing the same in this game, it was one of the coolest experience I have had in a game, in fact I feel as though I still love her.

How do you feel, want an epic game of epic proportions?

• Like 3

No.

• Like 11

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Romance hasn't been confirmed for Project Eternity. It's known that at least two of the game's designers, including the lead designer, strongly dislike traditional romances in CRPGs.

There might be something non-traditional, though.

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 7

I am new here so forgive me if it already covered and common knowledge on these topics, if it is I ask you to point me to the article/s so I can read up further on the subject/s.

Its a reoccurring topic.
  • Like 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I wouldn't mind seeing NPCs in various towns having kids as time passes(assuming PE takes place over more than one year), but IMO adventurers having kids and carying them around while they kill monsters and **** is insane. For one, that is some serious child endangerment.

• Like 8

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I wouldn't mind seeing NPCs in various towns having kids as time passes(assuming PE takes place over more than one year), but IMO adventurers having kids and carying them around while they kill monsters and **** is insane. For one, that is some serious child endangerment.

Lol that was funny, good point.

I actually feel bad for posting this, but wouldn't have know about the other posts anyway. Thanks for the list, I will check it out when I get a chance. It is good to see your view points on the matter.

I admit, I was a bit disturbed that BGII:ToB went with the baby inventory item route. It seemed wrong on several levels.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

“I…I will show you my body (char name)…and I hope it pleases you. Would you…would you stay with me this night (char name)? Will you show me what true love consists of?”

“I’m such a silly woman. Whining and crying…I must seem so ridiculous and petty. No man will ever want me I think…I feel so embarrassed.”

Im 12 and wat is this?

• Like 5

BruceVC will be here to aid you shortly.

Correct :biggrin:

Excellent topic and worthy of discussion. I am a big supporter of Romance\Sex and how they add to the realism of party interaction during your travels in a RPG . I have never really considered the idea of children in a RPG so I am keen to see what others think and then I'll give my opinion.

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I like romance where it is forbidden love and not confrontational. Like what annie had going on with the nameless one. Once romance blossoms to the the relationship level it loses its mystique and charm. Or if the developers want they can ditch dealing with romance and have the game be a manwhore/**** simluator like the sims and fable. Have intense dialogue with your girl/guy you screwing like "I'm sorry girl but the kid has to go", " yes I know I did the gaurd in the other town also."

So I hope to have the option of doing the same in this game, it was one of the coolest experience I have had in a game, in fact I feel as though I still love her.

What a horrifying statement. Call me old fashioned, but I tend to reserve my most intimate, vulnerable, and personal emotions and sentiments for actual, organic, cognitive, human beings. It is the reason why I will be married in the spring. What a brave new world we live in.

• Like 3

I am new here so forgive me if it already covered and common knowledge on these topics, if it is I ask you to point me to the article/s so I can read up further on the subject/s.

Its a reoccurring topic.

Funny thing is despite all these discussions and evidence that the majority of people want some form of Romance\Sex I still see some of the more regular members opposed to the concept :unsure:

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This is one of those topics I usually refuse to get drawn into. When I joined these forums the topic was already worn and I decided not to get involved.

But I do have some wub for Visas Marr ;)

• Like 5

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Funny thing is despite all these discussions and evidence that the majority of people want some form of Romance\Sex I still see some of the more regular members opposed to the concept :unsure:

We must fight the plague.

Cultist remember that saying " the reed that doesn't bend in the path of hurricane will break"

Consider the movement to have Romance\Sex implemented in PE to be the hurricane and the anti-Romance members the reeds :w00t:

John Milton 

We must fight the plague.

The only cure is fire.

Not sure why its funny; the same thing could be roughly said about any aspect of games. For some posters RPGs are about fighting in tunnels, for others creating and interacting with interesting characters, some its all about the narrative, others for loot or cool abilities.  Some may like multiple parts of these in different games and dislike the same in others.

We all respond to different things.

Generally speaking, when we discussed this before, the main points - and I feel they are fair - come down to:

• games aren't best designed to take into account complex human interactions ("Hi, I'm so glad to meet you, is that an Amulet of Mara?" *sexy wink*)
  • romance/sex isn't practical in most situations ("Hey baby, after 2 days in the sewer of the Unholy Underground City of Pestilence, I'm feeling a bit randy. Fancy a roll in the hay?" "Sure!" *rips off clothes*)
  • romance tends to curtail the viability of joinable NPCs (Romance dialogue translates to 30 pages of text. Non-Romance dialogue translates to a fortune cookie)

So even though I'd like robust interactions with companions - both PC-NPC and NPC-NPC (friendships, rivalries and again if it fit the character, setting, etc. romance) I can sure see why some people see the mention of romance as a call to pass the pitchforks and torches so as to storm the windmill (a la Frankenstein)

Edited by Amentep
  • Like 12

Well at least I'll have a use for my popcorn stockpile now. The thought of promancers and antimancers making bad arguments and flaming excites the troll in me.

What a horrifying statement. Call me old fashioned, but I tend to reserve my most intimate, vulnerable, and personal emotions and sentiments for actual, organic, cognitive, human beings. It is the reason why I will be married in the spring. What a brave new world we live in.

In the interest of not being in here just to drink tears, I'll use this statement to make a point. The biggest problem IMO isn't romance, it is self-insertation. You aren't the PC. The PC is a fictional character and is not your alter ego or whatever. You can create a PC that is like you(despite living in a fictional world and likely being idealized), but that is a character and not you. The relationships that character has are not your own, and being friends(or romancing or being hated enemies) with a fictional character is weird.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

In the interest of not being in here just to drink tears, I'll use this statement to make a point. The biggest problem IMO isn't romance, it is self-insertation. You aren't the PC. The PC is a fictional character and is not your alter ego or whatever. You can create a PC that is like you(despite living in a fictional world and likely being idealized), but that is a character and not you. The relationships that character has are not your own, and being friends(or romancing or being hated enemies) with a fictional character is weird.

I'd assume - perhaps wrongly - that the appeal in the case that Zalpha is talking about is the self-identification with a protagonist that is common in fiction.  Otherwise tearjerkers would never have someone reaching for a hanky and scary films would never elicit a jump or cry of fright.  Which we know they do. There is a certain degree of self-investment in any fictional storytelling that engages the reader/viewer.

In that light, identifying with his protagonist and their relationship with Aerie to an extent that it moved them isn't surprising and not that dissimilar to someone saying that two characters romance in a book was "deeply touching and moving" or similar. 

That said, there are the unhealthy investments in fictional characters that happen with some people which I understand is what you're talking about but I think a distinction has to be made between the two camps as often in these discussions - frankly - it seems like anyone who is "pro-romance" is seen as the unhealthily obsessed and not those who've engaged in a movie story or character point in a healthy, typical to fiction way.

You see that's where we disagree to a certain degree. Unless someone is suffering from some sort of mental ailment I think we all know that your character in a RPG is just a pixel and software code creation of developers. We all know its not real. But that's not the point or the point of RPG. We identify and see ourselves as the characters in this epic journey and we do consider the choices we make as choices that have consequence in changing this virtual  world that we immerse ourselves in for dozens of hours. We "role-play" for a number of reasons like escapism and excitement. But I never presume to tell people what there RP experience should be as this is completely subjective and personal. I fail to see anything weird around the effort or time someone puts into there game and how they choose to discuss or demonstrate this effort.

For some people just the thought of adults spending time on a website discussing a game that isn't even released would be considered pointless and weird so we should be careful with our judgments :)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

John Milton 

I'd assume - perhaps wrongly - that the appeal in the case that Zalpha is talking about is the self-identification with a protagonist that is common in fiction.  Otherwise tearjerkers would never have someone reaching for a hanky and scary films would never elicit a jump or cry of fright.  Which we know they do. There is a certain degree of self-investment in any fictional storytelling that engages the reader/viewer.

In that light, identifying with his protagonist and their relationship with Aerie to an extent that it moved them isn't surprising and not that dissimilar to someone saying that two characters romance in a book was "deeply touching and moving" or similar. 

That said, there are the unhealthy investments in fictional characters that happen with some people which I understand is what you're talking about but I think a distinction has to be made between the two camps as often in these discussions - frankly - it seems like anyone who is "pro-romance" is seen as the unhealthily obsessed and not those who've engaged in a movie story or character point in a healthy, typical to fiction way.

I agree. I wasn't trying to imply that everyone who wants X is a self-inserter, just that self-inserting in a game is strange and often leads to unhealthy attachments with characters or seeing the game as nothing more than a combat simulator.