Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Out of curiosity, what difficulty will be your first playthrough?

difficulty trial of iron expert mode path of the damned

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

Poll: On difficulty (190 member(s) have cast votes)

In my first playthrough of Project Eternity, I think I will

1. play at Easy (13 votes [6.84%])

Percentage of vote: 6.84%

2. play at Normal, or whatever is the default mode. (121 votes [63.68%])

Percentage of vote: 63.68%

3. play at Hard (34 votes [17.89%])

Percentage of vote: 17.89%

4. I will play Path of the Damned. (22 votes [11.58%])

Percentage of vote: 11.58%

Of the "special difficulty" settings, in my first playthrough

1. I will attempt Trial of Iron (10 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

2. I will turn on Expert mode (54 votes [28.42%])

Percentage of vote: 28.42%

3. I will turn on Both Trial of Iron and Expert mode (18 votes [9.47%])

Percentage of vote: 9.47%

4. I will not attempt either. (108 votes [56.84%])

Percentage of vote: 56.84%

There may be several optional gameplay settings, before I play my first game...

1. I will look at the settings and carefully select my preferences (143 votes [75.26%])

Percentage of vote: 75.26%

2. I will look at the settings and select whatever makes the game harder. (19 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. I will look at the settings and select whatever makes the game easier (7 votes [3.68%])

Percentage of vote: 3.68%

4. I will ignore the settings and play with default settings on first. (21 votes [11.05%])

Percentage of vote: 11.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Don't think I've ever used a consumable ever in an IE game.

Play a straight Kensai in ToB: You get hit every single attack from pretty much every enemy, so those Potions of Extra Healing are usually a good idea.

No consumable use also implies rest spam abuse.

for the difficulty level they have said that they will take BG2/IWD2 as reference.

Yeah for the harder difficulties. I guarantee normal will be easier than BG2 normal because then it will appeal to a wider range of people.

Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever had my main character be a fighter, either. If I was soloing as a crappy class, (crappy being defined as "not a particularly great choice for solo"), I'd probably use consumables...but I typically only solo as a Mage/Cleric, so...

Define "rest spam abuse". Is it abuse if you do it before every major battle? Or after clearing an area? After every battle? In the middle of battles, (which is possible, but hard and also extremely cheesy in my mind)?

Edited by Bartimaeus, 09 July 2013 - 02:28 PM.

Ffordesoon

Ffordesoon

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:Ffordesoon
  • Xbox Gamertag:Adobe Amena
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
Normal. May use Expert mode, with a few tweaks. I'm OCD as all hell in RPGs, so I'll want the waypoint markers just to know where not to go until I'm ready to move on.

Any extra systems I have to manage, though? Fantastic. Love it.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3973 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Normal
Expert Mode
Carefully select my preferences

That's for my first playthrough. I don't know what to go for after that. Path of the Damned sounds fun and I might go with that one on my first run.

Adhin

Adhin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:AdhinJT
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

With RPG's it kind of depends how the difficulty is handled. In IE games I play on core rules becuase I like the core rules, difficulty is just an against the rules jack in numbers an an artifical push in the dice rolls and that always bugged the crap out of me. I'm hoping the higher difficulties are less 'monsters do double dmg lols' and more 'what' we fight in any given encounter. As an example say theres a boss that has a few lackies (lets say a Bugbear with a few goblins) early on, im hoping the higher difficulties will have a lot more goblins, and perhaps have them continuelly show up as you kill them off.

That said I did prefer DA:O on the hardest difficulties, but would of prefered direct controle over how FF was handled. That's one thing im looking forward too, while I like core rules (which should be difficult on there own, and it should be encounters that make it harder) often a lot of more interesting mechanics get removed, and having those in toggle form allows me to have all those with out having to play on a fake-difficulty setting.

I voted hardest diff with pick/chose my own toggles. And I'll adjust difficulty if its just a crappy number swap (or if it turns out normals specifically designed to be a snooze fest). DA:O was very much like Halo in that the base 'normal/medium' setting wasn't there actual intended balance, hardcore was and the next step up, legendary, was there real test where things got stupid crazy. If PE follows the same difficulty logic of some past games (including DAO) I may play one step under highest difficulty... I hope they make normal that though, always feels weird when normal isn't the actual intended.

• JFSOCC likes this

Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Grey Eminence of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'll take the Path of the Damned without Expert Mode or Trial of Iron. I'll have a look into any additional settings beyond those as well.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 10 July 2013 - 02:47 AM.

WotanAnubis

WotanAnubis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

First time through, I play on Easy. I always do. I just want a fun, relaxed experience where I can just let it all wash over me without having to worry too much about gaming the system.

Only if a game is good or enjoyable enough that I want to replay it will I look into upping the difficulty. I enjoy a challenge, but I only enjoy a challenge in games I enjoy even without the challenge.

Prometheus

Prometheus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah for the harder difficulties. I guarantee normal will be easier than BG2 normal because then it will appeal to a wider range of people.

If they don't change the target difficulty, they target the standard difficulty of BG2 for the standard difficulty of Project Eternity

Icewind Dale 2 in Heart of Fury mode (though that could still vary in difficulty a lot depending on your party build). Yes, I'm still targeting that. With standard difficulty settings/modes, I'd like PE to be in the range of standard Icewind Dale 2 and Baldur's Gate 2.

With RPG's it kind of depends how the difficulty is handled. In IE games I play on core rules becuase I like the core rules, difficulty is just an against the rules jack in numbers an an artifical push in the dice rolls and that always bugged the crap out of me. I'm hoping the higher difficulties are less 'monsters do double dmg lols' and more 'what' we fight in any given encounter. As an example say theres a boss that has a few lackies (lets say a Bugbear with a few goblins) early on, im hoping the higher difficulties will have a lot more goblins, and perhaps have them continuelly show up as you kill them off.

They said that they wanted to do this.see qoute below (from january).

We're designing the game for people who enjoy the challenge of combat, but different people have different capabilities. If you don't like combat at all, PE will probably not be enjoyable. We consider tactical combat to be a core component of the game. I would like to focus most of our difficulty increases around changing the staging of the encounter, primarily what enemy combatants are present and how they are positioned. At lower levels of difficulty, you will often have fewer enemies to deal with, which can make the challenges less exacting.

• Jarmo and Adhin like this

Jarmo

Jarmo

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

We're designing the game for people who enjoy the challenge of combat, but different people have different capabilities. If you don't like combat at all, PE will probably not be enjoyable. We consider tactical combat to be a core component of the game. I would like to focus most of our difficulty increases around changing the staging of the encounter, primarily what enemy combatants are present and how they are positioned. At lower levels of difficulty, you will often have fewer enemies to deal with, which can make the challenges less exacting.

I actually forgot this is what they were aiming for.

If the above quote still holds when the game ships, and there's an option to change difficulty halfway through,

I'll probably start on normal rather than easy on my first play. Because I'm such a macho.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5953 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

First time through, I play on Easy. I always do. I just want a fun, relaxed experience where I can just let it all wash over me without having to worry too much about gaming the system.

This describes me perfectly except in my case Im only ever going to play this game once.

Steelcrater

Steelcrater

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Steam:Steelcrater
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'll definitely be starting with the default difficulty (Normal), without any of the extra difficulty settings attached. I usually create a few quick classes and see if I enjoy them, and then once I decide I like to have a little leniency to enjoy the story and explore the game.  Once I've done a full play through, sometimes I'll go back and select the other difficulty options just to see what it's like.

lordgizka

lordgizka

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm starting on Normal, with influence lost/gained messages turned off. That way I'll hopefully be actually capable of roleplaying something specific and not a regular sociopath while reloading almost all party conversations.

Adhin

Adhin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

@Prometheus: Yeah I remember that but what they want and what they end up with can be 2 different things. I just have high hopes its how im hoping for (which is what they want to so, yay). Why I'll start on hardest diff and 'see how it goes' before deciding if I'll keep with it. It's what I do with every game I play. RPG's just tend to be the thing I am more likely to change difficulty due to the vast majority of it just being random chance and math where your skill matters so little higher difficulty just comes down to 'how much do you enjoy reloading?' and less about actual skill.

DA did a pretty good job at some of that, though there random immunities killed it for me for playing on harder difficulties. It didn't make it 'hard' it just made it kinda stupid. Also why was a bandit just immune to fire, or lightning? **** made no sense what so ever. That kinda thing should be universal in normal+ difficulties. Fire Elemental? Things immune to fire, surprise I guess. I can see playing on an easy difficulty and it removing immunities to higher resist for some folks but... yeah.

I'm seriously looking forward to this game heh.

Sylvius the Mad

Sylvius the Mad

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'll play on whatever setting creates the most level playing field.  The party and its enemies should be governed by the same rules.  Friendly fire should exist, and be equally deadly to everyone.

I don't really understand why any settings other than this even exist.

Edited by Sylvius the Mad, 10 July 2013 - 02:56 PM.

Tsuga C

Tsuga C

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'll start off on Hard (level playing field) and I'll ignore the various modes designed to make things tough on those who make a mistake or encounter a glitch. I'm playing for entertainment and have nothing to prove to myself or others with regards to this game or any other, so the various modes hold no appeal. Bragging rights for playing a videogame? Silly. 

Adhin

Adhin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

@Sylvius The Mad: Crazy people Sir Mad, crazy people. I don't get that kind of 'difficulty' change in RPG's either. If its not twitch based then it's all a math stream with bad random rolls. better off changing the actual encounters to be more difficult then the 'rules'. Which they seem to be shooting for ^.^

Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Grey Eminence of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'll start off on Hard (level playing field) and I'll ignore the various modes designed to make things tough on those who make a mistake or encounter a glitch. I'm playing for entertainment and have nothing to prove to myself or others with regards to this game or any other, so the various modes hold no appeal. Bragging rights for playing a videogame? Silly. 

Uhm... what? Some of us actually enjoy the tactical challenge, it has never been about proving anything for me. Just sayin'.

Karkarov

Karkarov

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3116 posts
  • Steam:Karkarov
  • PSN Portable ID:Karkarov
  • Xbox Gamertag:Karkarov
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Watcher
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I play these games for fun and to enjoy the story/lore of the world so likely I will play at normal most of the time if not only normal.  I will never turn on trial of iron because it does nothing to enhance what I play the game for.  Expert mode I might do at some point.  Settings wise I always go through and tweak those in every game.

jamoecw

jamoecw

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

i don't get people who play iron man mode on 'fresh' games that haven't been debugged by loads of people playing them.  in my experience there is always something that needs to be patched either because it is game ending, or game breaking.  beating a game on iron man mode when a glitch prevents you from dying is lame, likewise dying and losing your game progress due to a glitch is also lame.

• Karkarov, Jarmo and JFSOCC like this

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've played all previous IE games as well as other D&D franchise games on what's usually called the 'D&D Hardcore rules' difficulty. Since PE is obviously not going to use these rules I do hope that there's a recommendation by Obsidian on which difficulty to select that most represents an equivalent to the "'D&D Hardcore rules"" difficulty found in the IE games as well as NWN2, and I very much hope that equivalent exists in PE.

Edited by Valsuelm, 12 July 2013 - 10:57 AM.

• jamoecw likes this

Faerunner

Faerunner

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 287 posts

I'm not trying to win any achievements, here. I play RPG's for the interactable story and characters, not the combat. I'll probably play the game on easy while I get used to the game mechanics, then maybe crank it up to normal if combat becomes so easy it's boring. (Which itself seems unlikely as it took me about a year of playing to feel that way about DA:O.) The classes and builds I'm drawn to tend to be difficult to use in combat anyway, so I need all the help I can get.

Edited by Faerunner, 12 July 2013 - 10:54 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: difficulty, trial of iron, expert mode, path of the damned

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users