So, Project Eternity will have cooking

Says Tim Cain:

Hearths – these cooking spots are used to make food and drink that can give you long-term benefits when you ingest them. Many rest areas will have hearths, so crafting of this sort can often be done “in the field”.

This could be fun. Can we expect some Ultima Underworld/Arx Fatalis bread-baking simulation/flavor type stuff, or will the food and drink be more directly useful and "gamey"? (Rump Roast of Strength +2)

Cool, sounds like WoW's system. :thumbsup:

Hopefully the devs are smart enough to take another cue from WoW and make the food and drinks adjust themselves to provide the key benefit to whichever class uses them. It will be a pita to have to make 6 versions of everything.

Heh, when I first read this, I didn't suss PITA as an acronym, I thought gfted was making a weird reference to pita bread.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Cool, sounds like WoW's system. :thumbsup:

Hopefully the devs are smart enough to take another cue from WoW and make the food and drinks adjust themselves to provide the key benefit to whichever class uses them. It will be a pita to have to make 6 versions of everything.

Heh, when I first read this, I didn't suss PITA as an acronym, I thought gfted was making a weird reference to pita bread.

Actually having one of the food craftables be called "PITA" and it gives like a massive bonus to things like intimidation or making you resistant to damage would be funny.

I suspect it will be used to facilitate health and injury recovery in a similar fashion to sleep.

Also, if you go an extended period of time without eating your strength and constitution will drop until your starve to death...

sounds like it could be fun, just don't get stuck without food on the 13th level of Od Nua.

Personally I would love some simmy minigames, but I really doubt we'll get anything like that. Doesn't seem like Sawyer's style to add in some minigames just for fun and/or verisimiltude. Maybe Tim Cain could sneak some in, though.

If any of you guys played that Candy Box game that was big for a few days there, it had some pretty fun crafting. All the recipes were really vague and you had to 'cook' in real time, so it felt sort of like real cooking/baking where you're not sure if you did it exactly right. For some reason I'm sure Josh would never allow something like that, but I would dig it.

Aw man, no. I don't understand these trivial LARP mechanics, certainly not in an IE-style game. The originals were remarkably to-the-point.

(which probably sounds whinier than intended. Who cares really. I still don't get why they would bother to include such a system, though, and bonuses for eating certain foods seem silly.)

Edited by centurionofprix
  • Like 2

Soon P:E will also have cleaning your stronghold as a skill too! It'll be great, vacuuming and dusting. Then in P:E2 you won't be able to tell the difference between SIMS:Dungeoneer and P:E.

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

so much negativity.

No-one is using their imagination.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

In my opinion cooking is fine add because it makes resting (places) good for something else than getting back your per rest abilities/spells. And it sound more interesting than resting benefits in Skyrim for example.

Well they had cooking in fallout new vegas and all that meant for me was clicking lots of foods to restore health with no care for what was being clicked on. But that was more clearly a survival game mechanic so I was fine with it. So in PE, which supposedly takes after IE games, we can be master blacksmiths, chefs, and enchanters. Not sure how I feel about that role-playing wise.

I mean adventurers are first and foremost adventurers, on the other hand such mechanics worked well in the gothic games because there was more verisimilitude. I mean you could see your character engaging in crafting food by turning the boar over the spit, the blacksmithing involved pounding hammer on anvil. Problem is eternity is not a first person perspective rpg and that means less engagement visually with the mechanic. The other obvious problem is that in the gothic games you were adventuring as a party of one so you needed to be a jack of all trades. In eternity crafting is busy work because you are managing a large party and this busy work tends to be the reason to visit vendors like blacksmiths and merchants. So not only are you introducing busy work you are also taking away the appeal of visiting these stores. *Busy work just takes away from adventuring time and is pretty much just a time-sink.

This doesn't mean I'm against having cooking in the game; I just think it shouldn't be the party that is engaged in it. Better to find recipes which you can then bring to the trades people to get your stuff + this is another reason to visit the city which builds anticipation.  Of course different people want different things.

* By busy work I mean collecting numerous ingredients, finding crafting stations etc

Having said that if obsidian can make it fun that'll be cool but we'll need to play it before we know.

Edited by Tuckey

I suspect it will be used to facilitate health and injury recovery in a similar fashion to sleep.

Also, if you go an extended period of time without eating your strength and constitution will drop until your starve to death...

sounds like it could be fun, just don't get stuck without food on the 13th level of Od Nua.

well they did say they will add a mode similar to the hardcore from new vegas, where you would suffer from ill effects and eventualy die if you didnt eat, drink and sleep regularly

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I also hope that in P:E we get to complete tax forms, pitch business cases to be accepted on quests and have a 'create powerpoint' spell.

Not to mention managing our bladders, ingrowing toenails and basic grooming.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

Rations - Hearty vittles, perfect for sustaining the weary traveller. Salted meat and dried fruit baked into a crusty loaf  of bread, a skin of small beer to wash it down with. Has no particular benefit.

Orlan Dreamgrass - When the Orlan wish to while away a quiet afternoon they'll stuff their pipes with this narcotic leaf and drift away. For a Cipher the effect is far more severe, his abilities will be boosted and his acuity sharpened for a good few hours, however a certain lethargy will overtake his limbs draining his stamina. A single stalk placed under his tongue is all he needs for the Dreamgrass to take affect. May be habit forming.

Glenfathan Porridge - Made with oats harvested from the graves of their fallen warriors, the Glenfathan hold that consumption of this porridge is a sacred duty, and it not only honours the loss of their fallen but lends one a measure of their strength. Certainly it has done no harm for their legendary berserkers health. Consumption of the porridge will grant a small bonus to health for a few hours, even more if the oats have been mixed with ox blood rather than milk or water.

Vaillian Sweetmeats - A delicacy of growing popularity in the Dyrwood, the recipe of which is unknown to any but the Vaillians. Grants a rush of increased stamina for an hour or so as the body absorbs the sugary goodness.

Trailcakes - Rangers and Druids of the Dyrwood swear by these little pastries when undertaking a hard journey, they boost stamina for a good duration and enhance natural healing. However there is a downside, when the eater falls into slumber he will sleep extremely heavily and lengthily, and if disturbed will suffer for his body not recieving its needed recuperation time.

Saintsblood - Wine from Aedyr, said to have been blessed by the blood of a living saint , the consumption of this vintage by any Paladin or Cleric will result in euphoric joy and a heady feeling of strength suffusing the body. No one is sure whether the many tuns of this wine were actually all blessed by the martyrs blood, or whether the church is using stimulants on its warriors. The churches dogma states it is the former, and the latter is heresy punishable by tongue pulling.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Soon P:E will also have cleaning your stronghold as a skill too! It'll be great, vacuuming and dusting. Then in P:E2 you won't be able to tell the difference between SIMS:Dungeoneer and P:E.

To be fair, SIMS:Dungeoneer sounds like a game that I want to play :D

• Like 2

Cooking sounds a little strange, but I think it has the potential to be a great idea. I expect that food and drink will be similar to the potions in the infinity engine games.  However, there are a few ways that I hope food will be handled differently than potions. 

1) Food should be relatively inexpensive.  I rarely buy potions in games because they represent a sizable investment and I would rather just spend the money on gear.  If food is cheap, players will want to use it.  Not starving to death will merely be a side benefit.  Besides, it is reasonable to assume that most of the NPCs inhabiting the game can afford to eat as well. 

2) The effects of food should be minor, but have a long duration.  Most potions have significant effects but a rather brief duration.  This is why they often get shoved to the bottom of my inventory and forgotten. Potions usually need to be used at "just the right moment" and only last for a single battle.  Food benefits could easily last for 12-24 hours of game time, remaining useful throughout several encounters.

3) Cooking recipes should come with lore explaining their origins.  If the herbal tea my party is drinking gives them +2 constitution, it would be nice to know why.  Of course, exotic delicacies are preferable.  Attaching arbitrary bonuses ordinary food is unnecessary, 

• Like 2

maybe they can give new meaning to soul food.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.