Best Police in the World

obyknven

Best Police in the World  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What country have best Police in the World

Volourn, when did I defend bad cops?  Why are you lying about what I said?

We were talking about this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQvMJMj1GVg&feature=player_embedded

In all 3 clips, the cops are responding to a violent attacker.  Did you even watch the video?  These are the unarmed people you are so vigorously defending.  The first guy is the worst, he is on top of the officer pounding him into the ground.  Please enlighten me as to what the officers are doing that is over the line in these videos.  

I've been to some wild and wooly places. Not so wild they don't have cops. But wild enough for those cops ...

Do you say it about UK?

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/195600.html

http://anarchyintheuk.com/uk-police-licensed-to-kill/

An Iranian website and an anarchist website? Getting confused about your alt again, sweetie. I thought you were all about strong kindly Russian government.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hurlshot, you claimed it would be acceptable for the cops to kill the man attacking them with his fists. That's evil. Someone in a fistfight should not be killed but then aagin you ignored my example.

if two punks get into a fist fight and then one pulls out a gun and shoots the other. He is charged with murder. Why do you feel it is acceptabel for cops to pull out their gun and shoot unarmed people? Whya re you stating that their standards of behaviour should be elssened than  non cops just ebcause they have uniforms on? Their standard of behaviour should be higher.

It is immoral, and evil to shoot someone who is unarmed  when you should eb able to defend yourself without murder. Are the cops so pathetic? And, why do youd efend such misbehaviour.

If you came up and punched me, and I took out a gun and shot you; I'd be in prison. No questions asked. Why should cops NOT be held to the same standard?

DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Not that I expect you to halt your magnificent and entirely faked outrage...

Police have the right (in most countries) to use lethal force to protect themselves and to protect members of the public. The nature of use depends on local law and custom. In the UK for example, every single time firearms are used , irrespective of the circumstance, there is a full enquiry by a special body. It's a big deal. But it makes perfectly good sense. What else are the cops supposed to do? Pass a SPEECH roll?

Further, it's entirely possible for a normal citizen to use lethal force if they feel they have no alternative in defence of their own life. Happens quite often enough for you to know this already.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That female cop is trying to protect her partner, who is getting pummeled.  All she has is a night stick (I'm not familiar enough with Finnish police, but are they security guards?) and she is not doing any damage against that guy with it.  I would consider her justified in shooting him.  Protocol would dictate that she should warn him she will fire if he does not move away from her partner and get down on the ground.

None of these scenarios are a simply fist fight between an officer and a citizen, I don't know where you are getting that.  These are aggressive guys resisting arrest.

Also, people die in fistfights.  This isn't a video game, unarmed attackers can do plenty of damage to a cop.  

If you want to show me a scenario where the cop starts the fight, I'll call them a bad cop. 

"To serve and protect."

It's a quote that modern NA cops seem to have forgotten.

Thankfully, my brief encounters with the coppers have been civilzied on both parts... it seems I'm one of the lucky ones.

Nah.  It's just not newsworthy to write an article: "Police officers talk with a man.  Officers are polite and cordial and everyone goes about their daily lives afterwards, with no ill feelings towards one another."

• Like 1

Nah.  It's just not newsworthy to write an article: "Police officers talk with a man.  Officers are polite and cordial and everyone goes about their daily lives afterwards, with no ill feelings towards one another."

http://www.reddit.com/r/Good_Cop_Free_Donut

There you go, but in the real world, bad behavior by authority figures has to be monitored and talked about. 

Ka-ka-ka-ka-Cocaine!

Z9SVsCY.gif

Lets just take a look at that link.

#1: Controversy: Cop stands up against corruption in department

#2: A cop pulls over another cop, argument ensues (controversy/drama)

#3: Controversy: A cop sides with protesters in Brazil

#4: Bizarre event: Monkey attacks a police officer, police officer doesn't over react

#5: Former police chief talks down war on drugs (i.e. controversy/drama)

#6: Police officer buys a kid a cookie (well that's nice) and is gunned down when leaving the building (well that sort of takes some of the wind out of the sails)

#7: Cop saves a fawn after tornados (A feel good story after tragedy?  At least this one is one I'm willing to admit is legit.  Still has a bizarre/unique element to it)

#8: Crying duck looks on as officer saves duckling (although this just appears to be a broken youtube link, not a news article)

#9: An anecdote posted directly on Reddit - (not a news article)

#10: A youtube video link showing a police officer doing a good thing (not a news article)

So 1 of them is a feel good news story.  A couple of them are some youtube stuff (one was taken down it seems) and an anecdote.  Yes, police officers do good things, and occasionally they will get reported in the news.  If you felt like taking my statement at the absolute literal, uncompromising truth (that they will never run a story about a police officer doing something nice - note, however, that this is your interpretation of my words.  At best one of the top 10 links on that reddit at the time I wrote this could qualify as "Police officers talk with a man. Officers are polite and cordial and everybody goes about their daily lives afterwards, with no ill feelings towards one another" and it wasn't a news article), then I guess that's your prerogative.

My experiences with police officers have never been a negative one, even in the times when something bad could have been done towards me.  I'm of the opinion that most police officer exchanges occur like the one in the #10 video.  It's not what typically gets reported.

And yes, authority figures abusing power should be talked about.  I said nothing to the contrary.  In fact, I have an implication with my statement that since it's not newsworthy to discuss a police officer being polite, it may be newsworthy in the incidents when a police officer is not being polite.

Edited by alanschu
  • Like 1

There was a recent one where they blasted the dog after arresting the owner (made the mistake of filming them, really) - http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/graphic-video-shows-police-shooting-dog-during-arrest-170457073.html

All things considered though, pretty sweet deal to be a cop in NA. At least in terms of standards.

America has some of the worst crime in the world. Our police labor under extreme and constant stress in high crime areas. They see the absolute worst of humanity on a daily basis. Random cell phone camera footage is mostly good for showing things out of context. Half of the police 'brutality' clips out there are caused by idiots resisting arrest or just plain asking for it. As for the dogs getting shot, that can and should be avoided by using pepper spray. All police are equipped with it, shooting them is rarely necessary. 

Edited by licketysplit
  • Like 1

There was a recent one where they blasted the dog after arresting the owner (made the mistake of filming them, really) - http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/graphic-video-shows-police-shooting-dog-during-arrest-170457073.html

All things considered though, pretty sweet deal to be a cop in NA. At least in terms of standards.

America has some of the worst crime in the world. Our police labor under extreme and constant stress in high crime areas. They see the absolute worst of humanity on a daily basis. Random cell phone camera footage is mostly good for showing things out of context. Half of the police 'brutality' clips out there are caused by idiots resisting arrest or just plain asking for it. As for the dogs getting shot, that can and should be avoided by using pepper spray. All police are equipped with it, shooting them is rarely necessary. 

Is asking the reasons why you're being detained considered resisting arrest? Or maybe not putting your arms behind your back because one of the officers broke it? Or maybe being face down on the ground, cuffed with a police officer's knee on your back is grounds to be tasered?

I'm even surprised that someone would even try to defend those actions. If they are unable to cope with the realities of their job without falling into abuse then they should be declared unfit and discharged before the end up creating more criminals.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Is asking the reasons why you're being detained considered resisting arrest? Or maybe not putting your arms behind your back because one of the officers broke it? Or maybe being face down on the ground, cuffed with a police officer's knee on your back is grounds to be tasered?

I'm even surprised that someone would even try to defend those actions. If they are unable to cope with the realities of their job without falling into abuse then they should be declared unfit and discharged before the end up creating more criminals.

In that particular case it seems to me he was initially resisting arrest but they were also being excessive. All I'm saying is try to consider the context of what is happening in these vids. I mean at first he just tells them to f*ck off, not what I would do if I was being arrested. Then his girlfriend is pestering them the entire time, not complying with their requests at all. 

Edited by licketysplit

So the big men with the big gun can't keep their cool when someone cusses at them? No wonder there are so many wrongful shootings.

I often wonder about the statistics myself and whether the actually reflect the actual numbers since it's a bit of an honor system in which they have to be tried as being police brutality. There are cases which are either judged to be an acceptable use of force or that don't make it to court, so I wonder about their veracity. It just seems weird that in this case in which there were several officers involved not one of them questioned or stopped the use of excessive force and it seems from the look of other cases it seems common. 
So I don't think of a typical police officer as not being particularly praiseworthy or as much deserving of praise as any of us that goes around not breaking the law.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

So I don't think of a typical police officer as not being particularly praiseworthy or as much deserving of praise as any of us that goes around not breaking the law.

They routinely put their lives on the line. I know I don't do that much. Like I said, many times perps make incidents worse by simply not doing what they're told at the time. That is plain stupid. If the cops have their tasers or guns drawn and ask you to do something, then do it. If you fight back or antagonize them, I don't feel sorry one bit if you get hurt.

Heh, right. Soldiers in a warzone or in some third world hell hole see that. I find it funny that you say they ask for it or antagonize them, though. That kind of attitude fits bullies or enforcers not supposed keepers of the peace (though in practice it's just picking up easy prey or being hard with people that can't fight back). If cops here ended up in body bags more, I might believe all this "thin blue line" talk, really, but I always hear of not understanding what they deal with to excuse them doing stuff ranging from roughing up drunks, mouthy kids, or those scary people filming them.

Volourn is right that they should be held to a higher standard, but they aren't and you seem cool with that.

Cops are dumb beasts to be feared not respected.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

OccupyUCD3.jpg

Yup... Totally had it comin.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Calax, you don't know what he had to deal with man. And they probably called him a pig.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

OccupyUCD3.jpg

Yeah, injustice such as this never happens in other countries, so let's all gang up on 'Merica. I'm not saying the cops in the U.S. are perfect, I'm saying they have it worse than most other places. But it's popular to buck authority as some posts here suggest.. 

"You're Canadian..."

There's been more than a few instances of Kanadian police brutality. It's not an Amerikan only disease.

"But it's popular to buck authority as some posts here suggest.."

It's not about 'bucking authority'. Have we forgotten the credo 'protect and serve'. the police are suppsoed to work for the public not against them. If someone curses a ploice officer they should ignore it, Police should be held to a higher standard not a lower standard.

It's illegal to physcially assault someone who isn't physically attacking you yet police get away with that all the time.  A guy on the ground who is hansdful should not be whacked with a nightstick or pepper sprayed or tazered numerous times just because the cops are frustrated or angry no matter whatc rime he may have committed. isn't this why they get special training?

On top of that, If you are truly pro real police, it is your duty to call out the bad ones to help protect the good ones.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

438095_110809133546_8831-1.jpg

That is where my vote goes.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

OccupyUCD3.jpg

Yeah, injustice such as this never happens in other countries, so let's all gang up on 'Merica. I'm not saying the cops in the U.S. are perfect, I'm saying they have it worse than most other places. But it's popular to buck authority as some posts here suggest.. 

Oh I'm not saying that they don't. What I'm saying is that your giving the excuse of "well they get provoked and are under a lot of stress!" doesn't fly. Part of being a cop is the amount of stress you have to deal with, if you can't handle it you can swap jobs. But the badge doesn't give you a "do anything" permit where you can act how you feel and get away with it.

A few years ago there was the cop who put on his blues and went to his daughters boyfriends house and proceeded to intimidate the kid by threatening to take him to jail and putting him in cuffs. That, plus the UC Davis guy above, Plus the Chicago PD as a whole, doesn't get covered by some "Dude, you don't know what it's like man!" statement where they're given a pass because of the situations they work in. 

I mean, go look at the "Don't tase me bro!" incident. The guy Asked a question and proceeded to get tasered because he wouldn't stop asking why he was being arrested (simplified story I know but meh). He was out numbered 4-1 and you're telling me that the officers felt that it was appropriate to taser him? Same thing with the UCLA incident in 2006.

Part of the point of being a cop is that you're understress and you're the one who's able to keep control. Not "I'm under stress so I'm gonna take it out on the next yahoo who gets in my way."

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

You can tell all the bad cop anecdotal stories you want, I'm not swayed in empathizing what they have to go through. I lived near the worst part of Philly for four years and I saw cop/community relations on a daily basis. People are expecting clean cut results from a job where you can get killed any day of the week.   

So the occasional heavy handedness and superior attitude is just a-ok to you then ? Nice to get such leeway due to 'bad' working conditions. People expecting 'clean cut' of those given weapons and powers over them isn't that ridiculous.

That case of the cop rustling his daughter's boyfriend was pretty funny, I think a handful of here were ok with that because well he's a parent. :lol:

You know I think we can use LickedySplit as an example on the "The Science of why we don't believe on Science" thread.
It seems he's is completely ignoring the situations in which these cases of police brutality happened, the circumstances surrounding them and all because he believes that cops are incapable of telling the difference between a perpetrator with a gun and some smart mouth youth who steps a little over the line. 
I think they can and that those situation happen because of they are able to make that judgment and they are both infuriated by the gall of someone questioning them and they have the leeway to abuse their authority because there are no great consequences.

Edited by Orogun01
  • Like 1

village_idiot.gif