Best Police in the World

obyknven

Best Police in the World  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What country have best Police in the World

It's a perspective I can still understand.

Few people are ever happy to see the police.  Either they are potentially in trouble, or they are victims themselves.  And people just hate it when police don't abuse their powers to their own benefit, if they've been victimized.

I had a cop do the pat down while I'm standing with hands on the hood of his car, thing, once ... in my driveway. But that was because I was stupid. Probably mentioned it before, but ... I saw him on the way home behind me. He didn't have his lights on but he was following, following. I hadn't re-registered my car on-time so I figured he was looking at my tags. I kept driving home (less than half a mile, btw) - he still didn't have his lights on. I was literally like 10 feet from my driveway, already practically in the act of turning the wheel to pull in, when he did put his lights on, and like an idiot I finished pulling into my driveway then got out of my car and faced his car, smiling, waiting, ready for a tag-fixit-ticket. It's habit, y'know? Pull in driveway, get out of car.

The (young) cop freaked on me, pulled his gun, screaming why did I pull into this driveway, why'd I get out of the car, dragged me to his car, etc. :lol:

Few other incidents in my life too. But I always just try to keep in mind that I would never have the balls to approach some random car like they have to, wondering if there's a gun pointed at me through the door or something. It'd make me tense too, especially if I was a rookie or near it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I agree that police officers should be held to a high standard. I also believe the should be given respect until they fail to meet that standard.

Based on their gang like behaviour (it is funny that people believe complaints go anywhere with the cops), I can't see why, but not a surprise I suppose. But good to know you know some good cops as well, for all that is worth. I know a couple of cops too, were the typical meathead ginos in high school - scary that they give these guys guns.

As for 'us vs them', well police referring to citizens as 'civilians' is a sign they're ok with it or have themselves deluded to believe they are military. And also NA cops seem to have some problems in comprehending on how to de-escalate situations or not flex constantly.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I actually knew someone who had been a cop for over a decade in New York, they really believed in helping people but got heavily worn away by the public attitude. It was interesting how cliquish the cops become to support each other in the face of that and cover each other's asses. Although it also got balanced by the cops concealing things to "protect" each other, but then handling it "internally" when it got out of hand.

She actually transferred to Internal Affairs after being exposed to some "serious" corruption rather then the low-grade cop stuff. But when she did, lost over half the friends she had in other cops because of the attitude they have towards IA. Within a year the stress got to her along with the withdrawal of the usual cop support system that she quit the force.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've had stop and search done on me four times. I'm always very polite and have a chat with them. I like to think I help counterbalance you mentalists being instantly lairy.

Of course complaints go somewhere. If they didn't then we'd have the same police services we had in the 1950s and if you think things haven't improved then I'm sorry but you're just a c***.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

A dustbin maybe for all the effect they have, really. Here, they've lost 8-12 days pay for various things like drinking on the job, intimidating people with their badge, sexually harassing coworkers, citizens. Which really seems like a limp slap on the wrist. Then again this is the RCMP... :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm a little alarmed by the feeling I'm in a time warp. Is this 1967? If it is how are you using the internet?

What is so appealing about having an us and them attitude about cops? If you don't take that attitude surely it's just common sense to accept that they are government employees like any other. They misbehave, they break the law. The point is what happens when they do. Part of that is down to you. And guess what? Treating the whole profession as evil doesn't help it actively makes things worse.

Imagine if I started a 'teenagers are s***' thread? You'd say I was mental.

Part of it is that they promote that mentality. "Our job is to protect you from the bad guys, but we will run you over if you get in our way"

Also, I think that it comes from the fact that cops are to well known for "fishing" for things to write you up with. They don't have enough info to write you up (or arrest), so they'll start asking questions hoping you'll be kind and tell em anything incriminating at which point they yank out the bracelets for you to put on.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've had stop and search done on me four times. I'm always very polite and have a chat with them. I like to think I help counterbalance you mentalists being instantly lairy.

Of course complaints go somewhere. If they didn't then we'd have the same police services we had in the 1950s and if you think things haven't improved then I'm sorry but you're just a c***.

Do you think people respect police less these days?

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Now that I think about it, every cop I know has a college degree.  I think that might actually be really important.  

I am willing to admit that every police department is different, and there are a lot of flawed departments out there.  I guess I am lucky that in the area I live in, the police have a very good reputation, both at the county level and the city.  

That being said, I still believe that the majority of police officers are out there to serve and protect.  If they are not trained properly, if citizen complaints are not being addressed, then that lies on the people running the departments.  Getting all indignant towards the guys and gals who are the first people to respond when you call out for help seems wrong.

Hurlshot makes another good point about different departments. Anyone willing to say that the New Orleans PD are as bad/good as the NYPD?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Now that I think about it, every cop I know has a college degree.

I am pretty sure that every member of EPS has to take some level of post-secondary.  There were quite a few of EPS hopefuls in a lot of my early sociology courses.

Hurlshot makes another good point about different departments. Anyone willing to say that the New Orleans PD are as bad/good as the NYPD?

They still should be held to the same standard, or do you agree we should give departments in bad areas more leeway?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Part of it is that they promote that mentality. "Our job is to protect you from the bad guys, but we will run you over if you get in our way"

Never known a cop to promote that mentality.

That doesn't mean if you're between them and a killer you won't have footprints up your back, but there's always the needs of the individual vs the community to balance out.

Also, I think that it comes from the fact that cops are to well known for "fishing" for things to write you up with. They don't have enough info to write you up (or arrest), so they'll start asking questions hoping you'll be kind and tell em anything incriminating at which point they yank out the bracelets for you to put on.

Been stopped a few times by cops. Never had a problem with answering questions. If you're not doing anything illegal...what can they get you on?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

They still should be held to the same standard, or do you agree we should give departments in bad areas more leeway?

They should be held to the same standard.

My counter question would be, should the be held to the same level of contempt?

http://jalopnik.com/why-ohio-cops-are-setting-up-fake-highway-checkpoints-676856291?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

That's the sort of activity I'm talking about. "We can't technically do this, so we'll fake it and if you get nervous use it for probable cause to search you!"

Probably only difference is the number of bullets they'd put in you :p But that is a good point, I imagine corruption or quality would vary between PDs.

http://jalopnik.com/why-ohio-cops-are-setting-up-fake-highway-checkpoints-676856291?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

That's the sort of activity I'm talking about. "We can't technically do this, so we'll fake it and if you get nervous use it for probable cause to search you!"

I disagree with their ability to do that, I don't think its a "loophole" as described in the article so much as thumbing their nose at the law.  Eventually someone will challenge it legally and I can't imagine it passing muster.

That said, if you're not doing anything illegal...what can they get you on?

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Resisting arrest, maybe ? They jumped a guy thinking he was some other guy, he understandably took exception and struggled a bit and slapped him with that. I assume a judge chucked that out though.

Why would they immediately jump you?  Even if they thought you were some other guy?

I've seen police follow people because they thought they were suspicious - some of it even racial profiling.  But none of them just jumped a person without trying to stop them and talk to them (even if it starts with a loud "STOP" or smthng).

Edited by Amentep

I disagree with their ability to do that, I don't think its a "loophole" as described in the article so much as thumbing their nose at the law.  Eventually someone will challenge it legally and I can't imagine it passing muster.

That said, if you're not doing anything illegal...what can they get you on?

They can find something. And I shouldn't have to prove I'm not doing anything, They should have to prove that I'm doing something before going through my stuff.

That article/incident is what I was referring to when I said they have a "us vs them" mentality. They don't care about the common citizen except that we, as a population, are just criminals waiting for the chance to break the law. They aren't trying to help people and ethically fight crime within the bounds of the law, they're fishing for reasons to search your stuff.

Example:

http://jalopnik.com/florida-cop-makes-young-mom-shake-her-bra-during-stop-t-531557395

No reason that they checked her car for drugs, no reason to search her, but she hand to prove that she didn't have any drugs on her person with her kids in the car.

Resisting arrest, maybe ? They jumped a guy thinking he was some other guy, he understandably took exception and struggled a bit and slapped him with that. I assume a judge chucked that out though.

Understandably took exception and struggled a bit is the part that gets me, I don't understand that.  If the police are coming at me, I'm going to do my best to not escalate the situation.  If it is a case of mistaken identity, it can be cleared up much quicker if I am not struggling.

I have lost all respect of law enforcement officers in the past few years. I've found them to be badge heavy, abusive of their authority, ignorant of the laws they are actually enforcing, and far more interested in expedience than actually doing justice. The Shelby County Sheriffs office seems ok but the Memphis PD is little more than an armed gang with badges and uniforms.

As for other countries I've only dealt with the police in Japan & Mexico other than the US. The Japanese police struck me a very polite and professional. The only time I've ever been arrested was in Mexico in Tijuana. Those guys were a*****s. They were not interested in hearing what happened, they just arrested every white face in the bar. All that happened was that we got taken to the police station, then taken to the border and turned over to the border patrol. They didn't care because we were all military so they told us to go back to Pendleton and don't come back. 

I always joked about that later. Anyone can get kicked out of a bar, I got kicked out of a country! :lol:

As for who has the best police? I don't know. It's not the US though. Some PDs are good, some are not. I'd say the bigger the city/department the worse it will be.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Understandably took exception and struggled a bit is the part that gets me, I don't understand that.  If the police are coming at me, I'm going to do my best to not escalate the situation.  If it is a case of mistaken identity, it can be cleared up much quicker if I am not struggling.

If I recall he was physically tackled, not everyone is as compliant as you when that happens I guess. It is somewhat understandable to be a tad annoyed at being roughed up by people too dumb to actually ID you. :p

Did remind me of this funny case http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/01/21/bc-vpd-alleged-assault-yao-wei-wu.html

Edited by Malcador

They can find something. And I shouldn't have to prove I'm not doing anything, They should have to prove that I'm doing something before going through my stuff.

That article/incident is what I was referring to when I said they have a "us vs them" mentality. They don't care about the common citizen except that we, as a population, are just criminals waiting for the chance to break the law. They aren't trying to help people and ethically fight crime within the bounds of the law, they're fishing for reasons to search your stuff.

Example:

http://jalopnik.com/florida-cop-makes-young-mom-shake-her-bra-during-stop-t-531557395

No reason that they checked her car for drugs, no reason to search her, but she hand to prove that she didn't have any drugs on her person with her kids in the car.

The vast majority of cops ARE us and know it.  Sure there are those that have the us vs them mentality, but that's why its important to shine a light on them too.

That said...a person driving with a broken headlight is stopped and found to be driving on a suspended license.  So there's already suspicious activity to warrant some concern.

That doesn't justify trying to "scare" her or not following usual protocols (which I gather wasn't to have the woman flip her bra up).

Again the bad cops need to be weeded out; but pointing to every instance that a bad cop does something bad and say "This is why cops are outta control!" only promotes the us vs them view of society in non-cops and cops alike.

Edited by Amentep