Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

Since we know that there were copious reshoots and restructuring of the end including the removal of segments related to the wife and kids in Alaska, the going theory is that Fox had a bigger part that ended up on the cutting room floor.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Now You See Me - fun little magician caper. Long on magic tricks, short on depth and explanation. It's a "don't wonder if it's believable, just ride the ride" types. But enjoyable enough for passing time. (Most) of the cast made it seem better than it probably actually was, but that's ok.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

World War Z - zombies aren't generally my thing but I found the film to be fairly decent. First half better than the 2nd half and the ending was a bit too "tidy" in its solution (as are a lot of "potential end of the world event" films), but plenty watchable.

Yep.  That nails it.  Pretty good movie. 

The Butler - This is the story of a butler who served through 6 administrations at the White House, and it's heavy with connections to the civil rights movement.  

There were some great moments and some really bad moments for me.  The beginning was pretty rough, I felt it tossed you into a situation with little setup and then moved on so fast it was hard to really feel the impact.  Once the Butler reaches the White House, it gets more interesting.  I absolutely loved Leiv Shrieber as LBJ, he's my favorite president and they portrayed him in an interesting way.  I also thought John Cusack was a compelling Nixon.  JFK was decent as well.  The film did a good job of staying even keel on the political parties until one point, and I really cringed when I saw it.  It happened during Reagan's term.  Reagan was played by Alan Rickman, which was an odd choice but I thought it was decent.  Some media outlets are saying they made Reagan out as a racist, but that seems ridiculous, as he is the one that allows the Butler to get a raise and also lets him bring his wife to a white house dinner.  That didn't bother me, it was the casting of Nancy Reagan...

Jane Fonda.  

Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan.  At this point I rolled my eyes and the movie lost me.  It doesn't matter what type of job she did as an actress, this was a blatant insult to put a woman who sat on AA guns in Hanoi as the First Lady.  I can't believe they cast her.  

Really the casting was weird all over the place.  Forest Whitaker is an amazing actor, but he's not good looking, so casting a nice looking young guy was an odd choice.  Then watching Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey portray a 30-something couple was also odd.  In fact the whole personal story between the Butler and the wife was a bit tough to watch, although I thought the father-son stuff worked.  Although the son going from MLK Jr. to the Black Panthers was a bad stretch.  

After Fonda was on, it turned into more of an Obama campaign, although that was still a lot less offensive than Hanoi Jane.  

So I'd still say it was worth it for the way it handled the 50's-70's, but just barely. 

Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan.  At this point I rolled my eyes and the movie lost me.  It doesn't matter what type of job she did as an actress, this was a blatant insult to put a woman who sat on AA guns in Hanoi as the First Lady.  I can't believe they cast her.  

but I thought she was tricked into having that photo taken at that spot, no? 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Saw WWZ, having read the book I was massively disappointed. Worst use of source materiel I can think of.. Taken on it's own though it's an ok / fairly average'ish film.

But damn, I wish WWZ would've landed in some independent film producers lap instead, it would've been perfect it it had been handled like Monsters. Slow, exploring, talking, scenic shots. Things like the Redeker plan, quislings, the decimation in Russia, the west almost completely collapsing because over self confidence, the flotillas and Cuba.. There were sooo many interesting thoughts that would've been great to see on the screen.

Instead of steam rolling tsunami zombies.. props for the "solution" though, it was fairly stupid, but at least congruent and a little original.

I mean, yeah original, but why would a disease that kills and reanimates - THE DEAD - have a problem with terminal illnesses?

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Not too smart of her to sit on the gun to begin wtih.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I mean, yeah original, but why would a disease that kills and reanimates - THE DEAD - have a problem with terminal illnesses?

I took it that the disease didn't kill, it took over people ala Ophiocordyceps unilateralis and ants, altering the hosts behavior to ensure its survival. The terminally ill were poor hosts as they couldn't sustain the illness.

That said, the zombies were never really shown in ways that would make it seem like the virus had any plan to further the life of the hosts by continuing to eat, drink, sleep, etc. so that idea kind of falls down too. Why would it matter if a terminally ill host dies if s/he bites a few people and passes it forward?

Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan. At this point I rolled my eyes and the movie lost me. It doesn't matter what type of job she did as an actress, this was a blatant insult to put a woman who sat on AA guns in Hanoi as the First Lady. I can't believe they cast her.

Not too smart of her to sit on the gun to begin wtih.

Eh...she's said a lot of contradictory things about the incident. At the time, she also was on the radio denouncing the US leaders as war criminals, IIRC, so the likelihood that she was completely manipulated doesn't ring true to me (I'd say I could believe if the statement made by the photo had implications she didn't necessarily intend, but she was already there to be against the war).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Hero worship is a weird thing. Anywho, the US killed a cataclysmic number of people with their bombing campaigns and all for a lost cause. I think history proved her right in doing whatever she could. Did she get played by the NW also, sure. It took conviction though. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Uwe Boll tried to buy the rights and were turned down years ago.

After some time in development, they've got Duncan Jones ("Moon", "Source Code") doing it. So I actually think it might work out well based on those two movies.

What's wrong with Rami? I know he can be a little weird so he doesn't fit all projects (who does), but seems like it's popular to dislike him these days...I figured because some people didn't like his Spiderman.

As to Colin Farrell ... I don't get their attitude towards him in that article. Have they not seen In Bruges? It's not like he's a crap actor. Not the best, but not crap either.

As to a Warcraft movie in general....meh. I wouldn't hold my breath re:quality, no matter who's involved.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I like about half the stuff I've seen from him but it's all his older stuff

I haven't liked any of the newer (probably last 5 or so) movies that he's directed

EDIT: I wanted to add that outside of you fine folks I don't really talk about movies much so I dunno who is or isn't considered popular

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

His supposed more mainstream films have lost some of his original touch. I don't think he's ever been comfortable doing the mainstream (non-"independent"), since his Army of Darkness experience. Could be why he's moved so far into producing instead.

The Butler. Wasn't very impressed, good casting for the presidents, but I found myself uninterested.

I'm not sure why they cast Jane Fonda as Nancy Reagan. On one hand the lols were epic, on the other...

nancy-jane.jpg

They both give off that aged past-prime starlet vibe, and do look somewhat similar.

Regardless 4/10.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

As to Colin Farrell ... I don't get their attitude towards him in that article. Have they not seen In Bruges? It's not like he's a crap actor. Not the best, but not crap either.

I love In Bruges. One of the best movies I've seen since a long time. It was damn great from the beginning till the end.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."