Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

RIPD.

It had it's amusing moments, although I wouldn't say it was anything special. It did seem a bit confused about exactly what it was trying to do.

As they say, it was kind of MIB but with dead people instead of aliens, but they weren't pushing the wacky and making it a comedy all the way. It seemed to bounce between quite serious "action" film story styles and then comedy, not joining the two together. Felt very split-personality.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Apollo 18 - for some reason I was expecting something more along the lines of Alien, but instead got a "found footage" creature/suspense feature that was light on the suspense and light on the creature. A lot of grainy black and white video. I kinda liked the conceit of the core concept, but meh...mostly a snoozefest. The very end made you perk up a little bit. And the actors did the best they could with the material.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Affleck is awesome. I'm sure the fanboys will be butthurt but who cares about him. I  tend to like even his unpopular movies including Gigli. so *shrug*. I'm sure he'll do a good job. Too bad about the movie title.

In other unimportant news...

Mortal Instruments: City of Bone - Entertaining movie that covers old ground but with some new mixed in. Dissapointed in how vampires were represented but enjoyed the pseudo step father and the best friend. Lead was solid in your typical lead in these type of movies. 7/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Affleck has put in more bad performances than good, but he is capable of delivering solid work, so hopefully this will be one of them. My initial reaction was negative, but there have been tons of actors who have turned in solid performances in roles everyone thought they were wrong for. Heck, I think people were mostly disappointed in Heath Ledger's casting as Joker, and look how that turned out.

On another note, was anyone able to catch the leaked Guardians of the Galaxy clip from ComicCon before it got taken down? All I was able to see was this:

6430HCf.gif

I'm sold.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I saw the trailer. It looked like a lot of fun. In space. I know next to nothing about these characters, which I think will make it more enjoyable.

I'll reserve judgement on Affleck until I've seen the film. I hope he goes all cantankerous Batman on that young(er) whippersnapper.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

I saw the trailer. It looked like a lot of fun. In space. I know next to nothing about these characters, which I think will make it more enjoyable.

I'll reserve judgement on Affleck until I've seen the film. I hope he goes all cantankerous Batman on that young(er) whippersnapper.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the best Marvel comic that no one seems to know about. 

Also, Ben Affleck can't be any worse than Clooney although if they cast Matt as Robin we're in for a treat.

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That's the thing, much like with KIlmer and Clooney, it makes me a bit nervous to have these really well established actors taking on Batman.  These guys all have a bit of a limited range, they typically find success playing the same charismatic persona in every film.  

But I'll be hoping for the best out of Affleck.

Speaking of Batman, I watched this movie "Clear History" with Larry David the other day, and Michael Keaton showed up in a crazy role.  I barely recognized him.  He was great.

...Kilmer & Clooney had ta play Batman in campy movies; had li'l choice on how to portay character...sounds as if Affleck will get more o' a chance ta make the role memorable; more substance, less shtick...or mebbe he gits all Reindeer Games an' peoples walk out 15 minutes in...;)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Cloony was bad because of the script, kilmer was just dodgy throughout his two.

To be fair, Kilmer's film just FELT like two films, rather than actually BEING two films.

The big problem, really, is that the studio felt that it was the dark tone of BATMAN RETURNS that led it to not be the same kind of success that BATMAN had been.  So they did a 180 in tone, allowed the director to do two bright, candy color modern take on the 60s pop art / campy Batman with truckloads of ridiculousness.

That said, I'm neutral on casting Affleck.  He has some acting ability, so the question to my mind turns to the script and direction of the movie.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Mortal Instruments: City of Bone - Entertaining movie that covers old ground but with some new mixed in. Dissapointed in how vampires were represented but enjoyed the pseudo step father and the best friend. Lead was solid in your typical lead in these type of movies. 7/10

Going to see this next week. I was rather disappointed in who was chosen to play Jace. But I'll wait and see how it plays out.

"Cloony was bad because of the script, kilmer was just dodgy throughout his two."

Kilmer's films weren't good but Kilmer himself was fine. Clooney was just plain bad. Clooney is not even close to my favorite actor and I find him over hyped but it felt like he wasn't trying at all. And, from his comments since, he pretty much all but confirms that it was basically a pay day for him. Kilmer at leasts eemed like he was trying despite the subpar writing.

I laugh when I see people bash  an Affleck film and espicially  a performance of his. I can't remember even one Affleck film that is w that I left not enjoying to some degree even that christmas movie or the much beloved Gigli.

Edited by Volourn

I laugh when I see people bash  an Affleck film and espicially  a performance of his. I can't remember even one Affleck film that is w that I left not enjoying to some degree even that christmas movie or the much beloved Gigli.

Even Pearl Harbour ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Even Pearl Harbour ?

That was definitely the director.  I am not a Michael Bay hater, he is very good at the summer popcorn flick thing, but that movie needed to have an axe taken to it.  In fact I bet if that movie was 90 minutes and not 180, it would probably be a decent watch.

Funny how everyone seems to judge Affleck by his earlier mistakes rather than his recent successes, The Town and Argo, plus the man did a good job in both State of Play and the Sum of All your Fears. 
I have never watched Gigli but it must really suck balls  if everyone ignores everything good that this man has been in.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Heh, although some of the twitterfest is creating a few amusing quotes.

"As a dad, I have to go to all the big superhero movies. Ben Affleck's casting has actually made me love my children less."

"Spend ten years working your way back into everyone's good graces. Win an Oscar. Then you get cast as Batman, and BAM! You're Gigli again."

"I hope Kevin Conroy does the voice for Ben Affleck."

"the venn diagram of "good movies ben affleck has been in" and "movies ben affleck also directed" is a single circle."

"Really looking forward to seeing Affleck bring the depth and gravitas to Batman that he brought to Daredevil and Gigli."

"In the Ben Affleck version, Batman's parents kill themselves."

" "I'd have more faith in that movie if Affleck were directing and Snyder were playing Batman.""

"All this outrage over Affleck, yet no noise of the fact that they've got less than two years to make a $200M movie they have no script for."

""A Wonder Woman movie would be too big a financial risk! We've decided to go with a proven moneymaker: A Ben Affleck superhero movie!""

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

"Even Pearl Harbour ?"

yes, it was an entertaining action blockbuster. Plus, Affleck himself played the role well.

"I am not a Michael Bay hater, he is very good at the summer popcorn flick thing, but that movie needed to have an axe taken to it.  In fact I bet if that movie was 90 minutes and not 180, it would probably be a decent watch."

i didn't mind the length myself, but  cutting down some extra scenes might have helped those who didn't care for the 3 hour duration.

"I have never watched Gigli but it must really suck balls  if everyone ignores everything good that this man has been in."

Nowhere near 'great'; but there are tons of movies much, much worse. Gigli is a movie that got hate simply because 'everyone' were in the 'i hate bennifer' phase. Don't get me wrong, it's not some fantastic movie but it is watchable compared to other dreck that people fawn over. ie. the ****vengers.

Ben Afflec always makes me think of those Alfac insurance ads ... "AFFLEC!"

Ben falls in the same camp as George Clooney or Ryan Gosling, for me. I don't think they're "bad actors" at all, but when they're on-screen, I often suddenly want to take a nap due to a sudden burst of ennui. Not compelling and no on-screen charisma for me, I guess.

At any rate, since I don't care about yet another Batman movie, I don't mind them casting Ben in the role. Who knows, maybe he'll surprise people. I mean, no one thought Michael Keaton would pull it off, either, and he did all right - especially the Bruce Wayne part, imo. And IIRC, a lot of people didn't like it when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker, and that turned out well, too.

That's the thing about comic book movies ... sometimes weird casting is inspired casting.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heh, although some of the twitterfest is creating a few amusing quotes.

"As a dad, I have to go to all the big superhero movies. Ben Affleck's casting has actually made me love my children less."

"Spend ten years working your way back into everyone's good graces. Win an Oscar. Then you get cast as Batman, and BAM! You're Gigli again."

"I hope Kevin Conroy does the voice for Ben Affleck."

"the venn diagram of "good movies ben affleck has been in" and "movies ben affleck also directed" is a single circle."

"Really looking forward to seeing Affleck bring the depth and gravitas to Batman that he brought to Daredevil and Gigli."

"In the Ben Affleck version, Batman's parents kill themselves."

" "I'd have more faith in that movie if Affleck were directing and Snyder were playing Batman.""

"All this outrage over Affleck, yet no noise of the fact that they've got less than two years to make a $200M movie they have no script for."

""A Wonder Woman movie would be too big a financial risk! We've decided to go with a proven moneymaker: A Ben Affleck superhero movie!""

Damn it, you made laugh.

village_idiot.gif