Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

I'd guess the same designer, design team or company.

Not really sure what the issue is...its a bit like complaining that all of Drew Struzan's posters looked like Drew Struzan had made them.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Drew Struzan has a lot of variation in composition (i.e. the floating heads weren't in the same spot over and over). These two posters are practically the exact same composition.

I guess you stick with what works, but these are a bit too close for my comfort.

Green Mile, because it was on, and because I like (almost) everything with Tom Hanks in it. I didn't know Michael Clarke Duncan (actor who played Coffey) had died not too long ago, tho. :(

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Rotten Tomatoes suggested I watched some movies with Bill Paxton. so I did.

Frailty was his big screen directorial debut I believe. and it's a very well directed movie. it's a very good thriller. but it's about religion, so might not be your cup of tea. I would still recommend it.

A single father raises his two sons, they're a close family until one night, when the father (played by Paxton) has a vision. he believes God sends his angels to him, because his family has been chosen to fight the demons on Earth. he regularly gets people's names that are supposedly demons, tracks these people down and kills them in front of his sons. the younger one seems to buy the whole thing, the older - not so much.

it's an interesting take on serial killer movies, witlh a couple of plot twists that you won't see coming

A Simple Plan - this one I absolutely loved. it reminds me a lot of early Coen brothers' movies like Fargo. only without the comedy.

Paxton plays a family man, B.B. Thornton plays his idiot brother. they also have an alcoholic unemployed **** of a friend. one cold Winter day the three of them find a crashed plane in the forest, inside - a gym bag stuffed with 4 million USD. you can imagine what happens next: they decide to keep it, but Paxton insists they wait until Spring, until the plane is found and makes the news, so they know where the money comes from and if anyone even knows about the money. 

this movie will take you places, from the start you know it's not going to end well. and the way the tragedy unravels...it's like a snowball rolling down the hill. the characters are awesome, even the supporting ones add a lot to the story (B. Fonda, who plays Paxton's wife, is simply great). Wikipedia says it's based on a novel, and the writer worked on the script for the movie. it was directed by Sam Reimi. as you can see there's a lot of great talent behind it.

which reminds me, I really should watch Darkman again, it's been long enough

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Nah. the first one has 4 stars and the second one has 5 stars named on their posters. HUGE difference. :)

Also, the Iron Man 3 poster has unnecessary diagonals (that ridiculous trend just won't die), while the Thor one doesn't.  They're not even remotely the same.  :p

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

most reviewers I've heard said it was a stupid but fun movie. I hate stupid but fun movies. even if they're ultimately "good". I'm waiting for Pacific Rim to come out on DVD, I would suggest you do the same. there's always a chance to get good deleted scenes or something that way ;)

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I really want someone to tell me that Pacific Rim is good despite the reviewers hating it.

It's stupid but I enjoyed it a great deal. Also, what are you talking about? Reviews have been mostly good.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

And apparently the box office takings their getting from China are prompting them to start the go-ahead on potential sequels for Pacific Rim

That is of course if they manage to get their issues with Chinese tax sorted out so the film studios can get the last few years of money out of them.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I really want someone to tell me that Pacific Rim is good despite the reviewers hating it.

Pacific Rim is incredibly entertaining and refreshingly earnest, never doing a wink-wink nudge-nudge thing. The action is exceptional as long as you see it in 2D or high level 3D variants (i.e. HFR Projection) otherwise it will be too dark to see. The ending is slightly disappointing, but only because the sequences before that are so good they are impossible to top. It is, however, not a smart movie and there isn't an original moment in the entire film. Plotwise, if I had to compare it to a movie of the top of my head, I'd compare it to Independence Day. It does have more heart than most blockbusters, but that's still not saying a lot.

I started to watch the latest GI Joe movie, but shut it off after half an hour because it was sooo bad.

Not to sound obvious, but isn't that like giving up on a steak because it's too meaty?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I knew it was going to be bad beforehand. I just didnt expect it to as boring as it was.

Wolverine was better than the first. But all throughout the movie I wanted him to chop the mole off of that chicks face.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

isn't the rotten tomatoes rating like almost 70% Fresh? Reviewers didn't hate it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I generally go by user reviews anyway, as critics have been hating on good movies lately. 83% fresh with an average score of 4/5 with 90k reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.7/10 based on 700 reviews on Metacritic. If you like giant robots, giant monsters, or both, you will likely like Pacific Rim.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The only critic I put any trust in ripped Pacific Rim apart.  I'll see it when it comes out on video.

/shrugs

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I was in the mood to see a stupid movie. So I watched Stranded. Starring Christian Slater, Brendan Fehr, and directed by Roger Christian. Yes I paid $7 for it via VoD.

As soon as the opening scene came up, with the so-obviously-models of a station on the moon being supposedly hit by meteors, I knew I'd gotten what I wanted. It was amusing to watch the trainwreck for a while (wooden acting, no development, terrible dialogue, no originality), but then it just became kinda boring. :) It wasn't the worst, tho. Just very not good.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've decided I'm NOT going to go see it.

I get my fix of juvenile bad guy monster punching from my tabletop roleplay.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The only critic I put any trust in ripped Pacific Rim apart.  I'll see it when it comes out on video.

/shrugs

Which critic is that?

FWIW I liked Pacific Rim.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man