Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

Exactly. Again, nobody is gonna pirate a movie they never even heard of. It doesn't make sense. Period. The potential market simply isn't there.

Anyways,....

The Lone Ranger - Nowhere near as bad  as people make it out to be. My most hated part is the munching on peanuts... I nearly walked out in firsts cene when the little boy was munching them as my ears felt like theyw eren gonna bleed. Disgusting., I'd rather be raped than listen to that garbage. Why do film/tv makers think it is EVER a good diea to have character eat  on screen like that? It is NOT entertaining. PERIOD.

On to the meat of the film. I liked it. The guy who played TLR did a heck of a job even when they were ridiculing him for no reason. depp did alright playing his usual character though I actually liked how his backstory was handled. The love interest  was fantastic even if it was weird that she somehow had three men wanting her including 2 brothers. Just a question.... was she think of Dan while having sex with his brother when  their son was created? The action scenes while over the top and stetched beliveability considering the setting, were entertaining. 7.5/10

P.S. I also find it funny that people continue to think it is okay to be racist towards whites.

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Prometheus is so bad I was actually compelled to go to Amazon and write an angry review of it. And I never do that.

Prometheus is frustrating as ****.  There are things to like about the movie.  The cinematography is flat out amazing (it should be it's a Ridley Scott film), there are some really cool sequences, and there central message/theme is pretty profound.  However, the plot has so many holes in it that it's more hole than plot.  I mean, the writing is absolutely atrocious.  So many things in the movie make absolutely no sense at all.  There are characters that are completely useless both from a plot and an entertainment standpoint.  It's such a mess.  It 's a movie that makes you think, for the right reasons (profound message) and for the wrong reasons (what the **** is going on?  None of this makes any sense).

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

What's profound about it?

The question about creation.  Do our creators want to destroy us?  Were we an accident?  A mistake?  A random experiment gone wrong?  Why did they make us in the first place?  For what purpose?  To play god?  Simply to experiment?  As some sort of desperate bid to survive?

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I like Prometheus in an entertainment way.

It doesn't logically hold together that well, though.  So being a satisfying sci-fi film isn't really in its DNA.

That said the rolling ship crushing thing was stupid, as was the "we can't find our way out" bit.  Which to me is the frustrating thing, I think they could have made a really great film and didn't, and that's always a let down.

Still was entertained by it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

RIPD - Mighty dissapointed in this one as I was looking forward to it - espicially since it was being bashed as a 'rip off of MIB' which I'm all for ripping off good movies. Sadly, this is definitely the worse movie I've seen in theatres since my comeback. There were parts where I just wished it was over and that despite me worried that at 96 minutes it be too short. The comedy was not funny enough, the action was nowhere near as good as the other summer action blockbusters, and the acting was alright. Some of it was genuinely entertaining others were dreadful. ie. The so called 'romance' between the old man and the RIPD leader was beyond lame. No chemistry just plain forced. The chemistry between Reynolds and his former partner was more believable. I did love the connection between him and his wife. The deadites, however, were lame. Plus, movie was way too short to have such a  so called 'save the world' epic story. It was unneeded. I'd say they should have saved it for the sequel but I don't think RIPD really deserves a sequel. Too bad too as the concept could eb cool if handled better.... 5.5/10...

The question about creation.  Do our creators want to destroy us?  Were we an accident?  A mistake?  A random experiment gone wrong?  Why did they make us in the first place?  For what purpose?  To play god?  Simply to experiment?  As some sort of desperate bid to survive?

Introducing space marines into the equation doesn't make for profound discussion IMO.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Introducing space marines into the equation doesn't make for profound discussion IMO.

What space marines?  They were mostly scientists.  

I just thought the whole idea of what if you really did get a chance to meet essentially God, and what if said God rejected you was pretty thought provoking.  The whole idea that we humans are so vain that we naturally think our maker would be glad to see us and immediately welcome us with open arms and answer all our question and having that brutally squashed made for good brain food.  I thought the movie did a good job of walking the line between the typical mindless Hollywood blockbuster and the artsy fartsy "look how clever and existential we are" garbage.  To me it did, anyway.  To each their own.

The wrapper around the central theme was just such a mess though.  There are so many things in that movie that make no sense that it boggles the mind.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Lots of big news from ComicCon today. The sequel to Man of Steel sounds like a Batman vs Superman thing. With them using a Dark Knight Returns quote to introduce it. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes apparently looks pretty badass. Looks like a revamp of Battle for the Planet of the Apes, with Caesar ruling his ape society with a wife and child. Avengers 2 villain revealed as Ultron. Sentinels were shown off for X-Men: Days of Future Past. Guardians of the Galaxy showed some footage which is cool considering they are only 10 days into shooting. They're using in-movie excuses to justify bad design decisions on the RoboCop remake. The Lego movie was confirmed as part CG, part stop motion, which is probably why it looks so good. The director actually used some of his own lego sets from when he was a kid. Apparently Amazing Spider-Man 2 is setting up the next 2 movies, which will eventually lead to the Sinister Six.

Basically lots of cool stuff.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Dragon Tiger Gate - One of Donnie Yen's finest films in terms of action, though certainly not in terms of story and acting.  Some of the fight sequences are ridiculously awesome.  Definitely a fun watch.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Andrew Garfield being in character as Spider-Man was pretty awesome too.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Drive - *sigh* This could have been better but the silly 'style' choice of near mute characters ruins an otherwise inetresting film.  Carey Mulligan is beyond adorable.  5.5/10

Indiana Jones & The Crystal Skull -  Dissapointing. I know why people disliked it so. The comedy it has is so forced. The earlier Indiana movies had comedy too but  they seemed natural.. here, the jokes were forced in even when unneeded. Plus,  the conclusion of the mystery did nothing and meant nothing. Such wasted potential. 5.5/10

Kick Ass - Fun at times, but overall just not as good as people claimed. Character depth could have been there but it was never fished out.. I thoguht the main villain was rather good. 6/10

The Hunger Games - Way better than I thought it be. Katniss is, by far, one of the best realized characetrs in a while. Very well done. The games themselevs could have been better. Still, overall, a very good movie. 8/10

Gulliver's Travels - My gah. Pukemanic. While some scenes were good, overall, this was a huge failure. This should be an epic adventure not a boring borefest of boredom. 4/10

Yeah, I've been watching way too many movies lately... L0L

I really enjoyed Kick Ass, and am looking forward to the sequel.

I caught Signs on cable today. Why does the director make everyone act so wooden?

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Currently watching "Metal Tornado." Where these people ...

metaltornado-1.jpg

...stand around in control room with dramatic expressions while in the outside world, people are terrified by tornadoes with magnetic properties. Pulling guns out of holsters, pulling cars off the ground etc. in awesome CGI scenes!

metaltornado-2.jpg

...mostly, between occasional guffaws, I keep thinking ... Greg Evigan? Lou Diamond Phillips? Grab that paycheck! Good for them. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

''Sorcerer'' 1977 with Roy Scheider. Its high up on my ''best unknown movies'' - list. Very unconventional plot, thrilling film. 

sorcerer_zpsa4162e8d.jpg

Go watch the Wages of Fear, you nitwit.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Except that number of people to see a blockbuster is painfully ridiculous to describe the number of people who see blockbusters yet accurate when describing independent films.

My point was to say if both films are losing money why are the indies seen as "worse" to lose money?

Even still, lets say that the blockbuster does $50 million and is number one on a slow week.  That's (by the above scenario) 5 million tickets.

That's 45 million pirated views under the 90% scenario described and $450 million in lost revenue.

The thing about availability is that it holds through in piracy.  Do you think, honestly, that a film that barely squeaked into 2 theaters is even going to be made available to pirate, and if it is who would know about it to download it.

The stuff that gets pirated are the big budget blockbusters and the Oscar bait art films that have buzz.  Could there be an audience to pirate a film like, say, The Ghastly Love of Johnny X that only showed a handful of festivals?

Amentep, I believe we're both trying to say that it doesn't matter if a lot of top ten movies get pirated. Or that even a greater proportion.

Your mistake - and its very understandable - is in assuming that it is the percentage return on investment which matters. But it isn't, by itself. Any investment proposal is tailored around the return, the risk on the return, and the scale of the return. Blockbusters get pirated, they even fail outright if they don't catch the pubic imagination just right. So the risks are high. But the rtruns are huge, and they are in an order of magnitude which suits big investors. 

So, if I am making an indie movie I have to pitch a return which won't allow an investor to put all their money with me, won't return a monetary 'win' on a scale I can recognise, and can still get pirated out of existence when people are too lazy to find local showings or buy the DVD.

Most indie film makers I've met aren't even in indie films to make money. They are only in them as part of the lifecycle on the way to making big budget Hollywood films.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Except that number of people to see a blockbuster is painfully ridiculous to describe the number of people who see blockbusters yet accurate when describing independent films.

My point was to say if both films are losing money why are the indies seen as "worse" to lose money?

Even still, lets say that the blockbuster does $50 million and is number one on a slow week.  That's (by the above scenario) 5 million tickets.

That's 45 million pirated views under the 90% scenario described and $450 million in lost revenue.

The thing about availability is that it holds through in piracy.  Do you think, honestly, that a film that barely squeaked into 2 theaters is even going to be made available to pirate, and if it is who would know about it to download it.

The stuff that gets pirated are the big budget blockbusters and the Oscar bait art films that have buzz.  Could there be an audience to pirate a film like, say, The Ghastly Love of Johnny X that only showed a handful of festivals?

Amentep, I believe we're both trying to say that it doesn't matter if a lot of top ten movies get pirated. Or that even a greater proportion.

Your mistake - and its very understandable - is in assuming that it is the percentage return on investment which matters. But it isn't, by itself. Any investment proposal is tailored around the return, the risk on the return, and the scale of the return. Blockbusters get pirated, they even fail outright if they don't catch the pubic imagination just right. So the risks are high. But the rtruns are huge, and they are in an order of magnitude which suits big investors. 

So, if I am making an indie movie I have to pitch a return which won't allow an investor to put all their money with me, won't return a monetary 'win' on a scale I can recognise, and can still get pirated out of existence when people are too lazy to find local showings or buy the DVD.

Most indie film makers I've met aren't even in indie films to make money. They are only in them as part of the lifecycle on the way to making big budget Hollywood films.

The thing is, the loss of returns is rather important; several recent films actually made money but didn't make ENOUGH money to cover the other losses.  As it was put, the studioes don't want to invest 50 mil to make 100 mil, they want to invest 50 mil to make 300 mil.  And that's just crazy; but if you think about it, they think like this because they have to balance to cost of all the 50 mil films that made 50 mil or less.

As to what I've seen, I saw THE CONJURING a nice classic haunted house/demon monster story.  James Wan has turned out to be a pretty good creepy horror film director.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Bay (2011)

First, it's directed by Barry Levinson, who also directed Rain Man, Wag the Dog, and a host of others. Which makes you go "huh?"

Second, it's not really a horror movie so much as an ecological disaster/warning movie with horror elements.

The found-footage aspect of the film doesn't annoy too much, however, because it's not teens running around with a camera shooting at their feet, but mostly pretend news footage, with occasional home video stuff. And it has a survivor chr. narrating missing info as the footage is shown. So has more of a documentary feel than a "Blair Witch" or "Chronicle" feel.

But it's a weird movie, and I don't think it really succeeds at doing whatever it wanted to do. It's certainly not frightening.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I watched the new Superman movie last night, I thought it was good but you notice I didn't say excellent. My friends all rated it much higher than I did. Anyway we watched it in 3D and the special effects were amazing as usual in a move of this calibre. 68/100  is my score

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Twilight Breaking Dawn pt1. Can't believe I sat through all of it. :getlost:  But it was 'free' on Showtime.

Netflix now has "Soldiers of Fortune." In the middle of it now. Once they're on the island (this takes a little while) it starts to get a bit amusing. I still wonder what the heck James Cromwell (and others) was doing in this picture, but y'know what, I kinda like seeing James in throw-away role as an aging, spoiled, rich thrill seeker. Also ... Ving Rhames in a dark metal wire helmet saying "You're not my father!" made me lol.

Edit: SoF finished ... became almost enjoyable in the bad action movie sort of way. Cromwell kicked butt! :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson