Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

hmmm, interesting info, thanks!

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Gasland 2.

...after a period of time where it felt like it was sorta rehashing the first doc. (probably in case you hadn't seen the 1st doc), I think overall this was a bit better than the first Gasland. And quite depressing.

Edit: I also saw Chasing Ice, which is about the melting glaciers and this guy/his team's efforts to capture it on time-lapse photography over a few years. Most of that one was centered around the team's efforts and all the work they had to do to set up, but it's still gorgeously filmed. And also quite depressing.

...eg, it makes you feel pretty fatalistic. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Just got back from Man of Steel. I really enjoyed it. The fight scenes were really well choreographed and such, I mostly just had some nitpicky problems, like how easy it was for Lois to figure out Clark's identity and I just felt the tone of the film was a little too dark for a Superman movie.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm in the parking lot of the theatre enjoying a smoke after watching Pacific Rim. It was good for a summer action flick.

My only gripe is that all the battles were at night or underwater.

Aside from that, I quite enjoyed it.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Decided I had to stop watching documentaries for a while. :lol: So since Netflix had Expendables 2, I watched that for a 2nd viewing earlier today for some irreverent, cheery, over the top violence and macho male bonding. It's as silly the 2nd time as it was the 1st time. Just what I needed.

Oh and the other night I surfed to SyFy and saw the start of some movie where man eating rubber sharks were all swimming around in some giant storm whirlpool tornado or something, where they'd chomp on anyone who got close to it/sucked into it. I was all "wtf?" ... Ah, SyFy, I remember when I was excited that a channel was going to be devoted to sci-fi stuff...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@LadyC - That was Sharknado.  Greatest movie ever made.  Period.  It was glorious!  Sharks attacking cities traveling by tornado.  Chainsaws.  Pool cue killings.  Ian Ziering.  'Nuff said.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

But did any of them have lasers attached to their heads?

;)

But did any of them have lasers attached to their heads?

;)

They have to save something for Sharknado 2 or pray.gif Sharknado vs. Sharktopus pray.gif

Seriously though, SyFy has done a bunch of these super cheesy monster and/or disaster B-movies.  Most of them have been just plain bad, but they hit it out of the park with Sharknado.  It was so absurdly ridiculous that it was pure joy to watch.  I'd almost put it on the same level as Escape From New York as far as amazingly awesome B-movies.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Man of steel.
Despite the fact that I despise super hero movies and comics a simple good old curiosity made me watch this one. While not touching my favorite movies by a long shot I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of said film. Sure, I had to ignore plot holes and mildly illogical scenes and the last third of the movie consisted of so much action it made my visual cortex bleed, but those downsides left aside the rest was decent. CGI was wonderful, the Krypton designs and tech was great,  the acting was solid (except Amy Adams, man she was pathetic), the hoops the director had to jump through story-wise to make Superman modern and less dumb without betraying the original story/concept was very funny - and it worked.

And Faora (Antje Traue) totally made the movie. I enjoyed every scene she was in.   :w00t:

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

"except Amy Adams, man she was pathetic"

WUT? She did the second best job in the movie.

Anyways,....

Pacific Rim - Good action flick. Acting was nothing specialm but held up. Action scenes were good but reptetive. That said, movie was held done by  a let down finale that while awesome felt like a cheap ME2 rip off plus the movie felt more like a sequel than a first in a potential series. It really needed to start with the basics with protracted original attacks, building of mechs, and character study. This story shoulda been saved for a sequel. Still, fun viewing. 7/10

"I'd almost put it on the same level as Escape From New York as far as amazingly awesome B-movies."

I doubt it. teh difference is EFNY is held together by good acting.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Saw Pacific Rim earlier with the wife in IMAX, was surprised how not terrible the story actually was. It wasnt spectacular by any stretch, but it was consistent. Acting was good enough to get you through to the action.

Overall, predictable but fun. Great action flick if you dont want to have to think much about it. IMAX with the rumble seats was great!

Thread pruned slightly. Let's try to leave any personal animosity out of things, please.

• Like 1

Safe House - Good action thriller. Denzel does a good job basically playing earlier roles. Ryan reynolds is fantastic in a rather gritty role. Not surprising as I know he's capable of it. 7.5/10

Hit & Run - Nice slightly comedy-action here. I love the different take on the antagonist. The slightly dark humour  was decidedly un PC. L0L 7.5/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I enjoyed PACIFIC RIM. It was fun. The battles were good.

If I had to quibble I'd say that the story is structured wrong, starting at even one (the opening Gipsy Danger fight) and not where the story starts (with the pilots getting back together after the program is cancelled) thus not allowing the movie to explain the nuances of a lot of the character relationships.

Still a lot of fun though.

Later I saw RISE OF THE GUARDIANS which I thought, overall, was a lot of fun. Better than I thought it'd have been when it was first released but seeing positive reviews made me finally try it out.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The librarian... Laughing at all the "wrong" places, its sooo bad its good. Haha

Wait until you see the third in the series..  2&3 were directed by Jonathan Frakes (of Will Riker STNG fame..).

When you have russians trying to find a chalice that is connected to Vlad the impaler, and Stana Katic doing a lounge singing, parisian vampire impression all set in New Orleans.. you know there's going to be chuckles.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Man of Steel. Just got back from the cinemas and really enjoyed it. 8/10. Liked the DC references from the comics. The only fault is casting Laurence Fishburne as Perry White. ugh, why do they always have to do this. Otherwise it would have been a 9/10 but -1 for miscasting Perry White.

All right, so I made myself watch Sharknado. Or I tried to. It has a somewhat promising cheese beginning (on the boat) but then it just gets worse and worse. 30 minutes in, I started fast-fowarding a little here and there. 45 minutes in, I fast fowarded a lot. A bit later, I turned it off.

It does have some so bad it's lol absurd moments but they're too few compared to the plain ol' "this is boring/stupid" moments. Sorry, I don't see the appeal. :p And Escape From NY beats it by 100 miles.

Man of Steel. Just got back from the cinemas and really enjoyed it. 8/10. Liked the DC references from the comics. The only fault is casting Laurence Fishburne as Perry White. ugh, why do they always have to do this. Otherwise it would have been a 9/10 but -1 for miscasting Perry White.

I didn't mind it, and I'm glad that Jenny didn't turn out to be Chick Jimmy as many people were afraid.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg