Free software bugbears

Got seriously annoyed today by Open Office.

I know it's free, but I have a rather simple point to make:

If you don't have development time to do a feature properly do not include the god damned feature.

I am talking principally about formatting of visual and text elements. They should not change between saves. They should not autocorrect to standards buried inside the source code.

It is a hundred times better to present a handful of features done well, and let the user improvise using them, than to have thousands, with unpredictable and undocumented interactions.

The example I'd use in the converse is Paint.NET, which with one notable exception (shading) is trouble free. It isn't photoshop, but it's free and it works.

• Like 1

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You should change from Open Office to Libre Office. I'm not sure if Open Office is still being developed.

Also, I was kinda disappointed this wasn't about Bugbear offering their games for free.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Got seriously annoyed today by Open Office.

I know it's free, but I have a rather simple point to make:

If you don't have development time to do a feature properly do not include the god damned feature.

I am talking principally about formatting of visual and text elements. They should not change between saves. They should not autocorrect to standards buried inside the source code.

It is a hundred times better to present a handful of features done well, and let the user improvise using them, than to have thousands, with unpredictable and undocumented interactions.

The example I'd use in the converse is Paint.NET, which with one notable exception (shading) is trouble free. It isn't photoshop, but it's free and it works.

So we are going to use this thread to rant about stuff we don't like?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I love OpenOffice; use it all the time. Yes it has its little quirks, but it pretty much does everything I need it to do.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Heh, Word point blank refused to alter some formatting for me. I ended up with about six horizontal rules at the end of the document- where they'd come from I don't know but they were undeletable by any standard means. It'd jump images around seemingly randomly, couldn't hold a style to save its life and I loathed every second I used it. Plus Ribbon, typically MS solution to a non existent problem.

CS and OO 4 lyfe!

• Like 1

Did you submit a bug to OO, or chase up an existing open one if possible ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Heh, Word point blank refused to alter some formatting for me. I ended up with about six horizontal rules at the end of the document- where they'd come from I don't know but they were undeletable by any standard means. It'd jump images around seemingly randomly, couldn't hold a style to save its life and I loathed every second I used it. Plus Ribbon, typically MS solution to a non existent problem.

CS and OO 4 lyfe!

whiteandnerdy.jpg

Fo' sho, cracka'.