High Resolution Map + Chris Avellone Interview

Thanks A lot. I was looking for that. 

I know for a fact defiance bay is also in the game. Now I wonder what city would be the main city that have the endless dungeon. I would guess Raedric Hold

Edited by ryukenden

Thanks for posting that, C2B.

I know for a fact defiance bay is also in the game. Now I wonder what city would be the main city that have the endless dungeon. I would guess Raedric Hold

I don't think Raedric's Hold is a city. If you look at the symbols being used, it looks like the dark houses are cities or large towns, the light houses are villages or small towns, and the dark castles are castles and fortresses.

I don't think Raedric's Hold is a city. If you look at the symbols being used, it looks like the dark houses are cities or large towns, the light houses are villages or small towns, and the dark castles are castles and fortresses.

Or, as I like to call them, "fortrices"! ^_^

Unless they're really, really huge.

"What news, sergeant? Can we emerge victorious from this endeavor?"

"I'm not sure, sir. This fortress... it seems devoid of weakness, sir. It's... well, it's like a FIVE-tress."

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

yeah, i too don't believe Raedric's Hold is a city. actually, if you look at the old map it's easier to see which places are big cities - a bigger dot with a white circle. that would leave us with these possible cities: new heomar, road's end, echo bay, new yarma, telaneir, girrara and airana's tears. girrara is probably out of the question. but the others all seem possible since they all are roughly the same distance from dyrwood. anyhow, my wild guess would be airana's tears or telaneir.

since this is the only post i know of on the OEI forums about the map, I thought I'd share my two cents on the map. This is mainly feedback for the devs and I know that it's WIP, hence why I'm mentioning it.

1- I think the icons used for the map are non-intuitive and actually hinder the understanding of the scale of the map. The huge icons make the map look smaller than it actually is.

2- The paths drawn on the map also do this map a disservice along the same vein. Those paths are too wide to be roads and again make the map look smaller than it actually is meant to be.

3- The color used in juxtaposition to Eir Glanfath make the rest of the Dyrwood look like it's a desert. Perhaps the color scheme could be slightly altered?

4- A legend in the final map would be very helpful.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I can't believe I nearly missed this but if you guys like carefully, The Bottom Logo is just "Eternity".

This means that Eternity might likely be the final name.

I suppose its a bit confusing on how the castle icon is separate form the dark house icon. The dark symbols look like houses, small village, and town but possibly not a city. In medieval times, castle and fortress are at the center of  a city. The castle symbol is the largest icon on this map. Plus the location and dirt-like patches nearby suggest this might be a place of importance.

Edited by ryukenden

it's raedric's hold - as in "stronghold" - as in "castle"

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

since this is the only post i know of on the OEI forums about the map, I thought I'd share my two cents on the map. This is mainly feedback for the devs and I know that it's WIP, hence why I'm mentioning it.

1- I think the icons used for the map are non-intuitive and actually hinder the understanding of the scale of the map. The huge icons make the map look smaller than it actually is.

2- The paths drawn on the map also do this map a disservice along the same vein. Those paths are too wide to be roads and again make the map look smaller than it actually is meant to be.

3- The color used in juxtaposition to Eir Glanfath make the rest of the Dyrwood look like it's a desert. Perhaps the color scheme could be slightly altered?

4- A legend in the final map would be very helpful.

Well, the style used isn't all that different from historic maps. For example:

19955-01.jpg

I think it's meant to be more representational than precise. A hand-drawn look for the icons would probably be more attractive though.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I like the new map more than the old one. I think the icons look better than the dots in the old one.

I suppose its a bit confusing on how the castle icon is separate form the dark house icon. The dark symbols look like houses, small village, and town but possibly not a city. In medieval times, castle and fortress are at the center of  a city. The castle symbol is the largest icon on this map. Plus the location and dirt-like patches nearby suggest this might be a place of importance.

No the dark house is a big city (defiance bay is a big city and has a dark house).

that would leave us with these possible cities: new heomar, road's end, echo bay, new yarma, telaneir, girrara and airana's tears. girrara is probably out of the question. but the others all seem possible since they all are roughly the same distance from dyrwood. anyhow, my wild guess would be airana's tears or telaneir.

They mentioned that the ruins of eir glanfath will also be a main location of Project Eternity.  airana's tear is close to the ruins of Eir glanfath, so it's the big city that is the closest to the main location of Project Eternity (after Defiance bay) .

so conversation and stealth won't do much for you in dungeons...

That's not what Chris wrote.

Hmm. "while conversations and stealth can help set you up in a favorable position when hostilities erupt, talk-intensive encounters are likely to be left for communities, towns, and other areas where it makes more sense"

So I guess those positions you can get into i.e. via stealth are really really favorable? ;) K. Didn't mean to misrepresent his position.

Edited by Sacred_Path

In "dungeon" (or equivalent) environments, stealth can be used to circumvent encounters or it can be used to set up good positions from which to start a fight.  The specifics will depend heavily on the individual dungeons, encounters, and characters doing the sneaking.  Conversations are less common in dungeon environments than in cities, but you will still have deep dialogues in dungeons when it makes sense.

• Like 4

In "dungeon" (or equivalent) environments, stealth can be used to circumvent encounters or it can be used to set up good positions from which to start a fight.  The specifics will depend heavily on the individual dungeons, encounters, and characters doing the sneaking.  Conversations are less common in dungeon environments than in cities, but you will still have deep dialogues in dungeons when it makes sense.

[infinity mentality on]

Circumvent encounters and lose loot? Valuable loot? It's like skipping undersea section in BG2 en route to Underdark...AND LOSING CLOAK OF MIRRORING? CLOAK OF MIRRORING!

[infinity mentality off]

Edited by Cultist
  • Like 3

MzpydUh.gif

Ha, most amusing Cultist. I guess the truth is that the book in IWD2 is correct, and we are all neutral evil.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Not all creatures drop good loot.  Some creatures don't drop any loot.  That can be a determining factor in what encounters you choose to engage or circumvent.

But to know if the event is worth skipping and I will not lose anything I have to...metagame and reload. Other solution is to know if that creature types will drop loot at all. But if I spotted(via stealth or other recon) a party waiting to engage us and have option to avoid the fight, my marauding instincts will violate my delicate brain with thougts like "That wizard held oh-so-expensive shining staff. That warrior's sword had electric charges tingling. Could it be that that paladin weared Legendary Boobplate of Misogyny Protection?"

i still remember how 15 years ago the most popular topic on early RPG-related forums were "How could we kill Drizzt and take back what is rightfully ours - his swords"

And nothing can change the nature of an RPG gamer.

Edited by Cultist

MzpydUh.gif

I suppose you could have a vocal or text warning from the groups wizard or other arcane class, alerting you to powerful magic being weilded by the enemy. A passive ability perhaps? Or maybe the rogue spots an item of undoubtable value while scouting?

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

[infinity mentality on]

Circumvent encounters and lose loot? Valuable loot? It's like skipping undersea section in BG2 en route to Underdark...AND LOSING CLOAK OF MIRRORING? CLOAK OF MIRRORING!

[infinity mentality off]

Which is as it should be!

There's only ever 3 reasons to kill something in a good RPG

1) Loot

2) Experience

3) Story

I'd be completely happy with a complex system that gives you #2 and Perhaps #3 by successfully avoiding the enemy.

But #1 Should be sacred ground. The best, most powerful magic items should only be earned through blood. There should be NO way to acquire something like a Hammer of Thunderbolts or a Staff of the Magi without killing someone powerful who's using it against you. Items like that lose all their value if they just fall from the sky and into your hands, or if all it takes to acquire them is to walk into a shop and buy them, or sneak past an enemy to steal it from his cabinet or whatever. Or even worse: Pick his pocket to take those items.

Edited by Stun

Not to mention, I'd bet that conversations can indirectly alter the factors of a dungeon/hostile area/encounter on down the line, even if there's hardly any direct dialogue involved in the area/encounter itself. :)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u