What are you playing now?

I finished all of them recently and I like them quite a bit. I've also played Resonance and Gemini Rue from Wadget and I recommend the latter. The former's story is a bit underwhelming.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Playing Deponia is still tricky for me as I'm not really a fan of the protagonist, but must soldier on. Been fiddling with Arma 2 trying to make an interesting mission for myself. Is quite tricky to make civilians behave as desired under fire - i.e. get to the chopper - or choppers behave as desired as well. Though in both cases running/flying in direct gunfire is ill advised. AI sure is mean though, watching a firefight and a T-72 decided that the main gun would be useful to take out three riflemen :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Playing Deponia is still tricky for me as I'm not really a fan of the protagonist, but must soldier on. Been fiddling with Arma 2 trying to make an interesting mission for myself. Is quite tricky to make civilians behave as desired under fire - i.e. get to the chopper - or choppers behave as desired as well. Though in both cases running/flying in direct gunfire is ill advised. AI sure is mean though, watching a firefight and a T-72 decided that the main gun would be useful to take out three riflemen :lol:

Yes, the protagonist is probably a bit too much of an ****. I finished the game recently, and I have the sequel but it didn't leave me hooked enough to play it immediately.

The thing is, while the characters are fun and some of the dialog is witty, the actual story is poorly explained and crappy. 

RE6 overused the formula of having an unkillable end boss chasing after you through an entire chapter.  They did it for all three campaigns, which basically devolved the story into meeting said unkillable end boss, then having him be the entire point of the whole chapter.

After finishing RE6, I'm seeing exactly why Revelations was so much more fun for me.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So I finished the Last of Us. I enjoyed it, but I don't get the adulation it is getting.

I've been playing it on and off for a while now, and I think it's mostly about atmosphere. It's probably the best "survival HOrror" game in recent memory, with survival being the key. That and some pretty good characterization of Ellie and Joel.

I've just started winter and Honestly, I like that they brought up the whole "You realize you're just a pair of crazed lunatics to everyone else and killing most of the people you meet right?" aspect of things, but they get no points because the group that brings it up are cannibals, with a total pedophile leader. Which reeks of "We want to explore this, but ensure that our protagonists are still the protagonists!" Joel just figured out where Ellie is and she's trying to fight her way through a snowstorm, but I don't see this game as creating that much moral abiguity and taking any chances.

Side note: Given there's 20 years between the initial outbreak and the game proper, wouldn't the # of infected drop like a rock?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

So I finished the Last of Us. I enjoyed it, but I don't get the adulation it is getting.

Its a big budget game from Naughty Dog. Guess where a chunk of that budget went.

Not saying its a bad game or anything, but there are plenty of people commenting on issues that reviewers have selectively ignored.

It's probably the best "survival HOrror" game in recent memory, with survival being the key. That and some pretty good characterization of Ellie and Joel.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is not old enough to support that claim. Although that may be more horror than survival horror.

I thought The Last of Us was a pretty great zombie movie though.

I've been playing it on and off for a while now, and I think it's mostly about atmosphere. It's probably the best "survival HOrror" game in recent memory, with survival being the key. That and some pretty good characterization of Ellie and Joel.

Yeah but was it horror? The only time were I was remotely tense was during the spore set pieces.

As for the survival part, stealth was so powerful, that it completely nullified the limited ammunition. (Which was probably a good thing, since I can no longer aim with a controller) Also the fact that you can choke stealth infected is just so stupid. :banghead:

'Oh look an infected, I will sneak behind them and choke them, even though one bite and I'm gone.'

I've just started winter and Honestly, I like that they brought up the whole "You realize you're just a pair of crazed lunatics to everyone else and killing most of the people you meet right?" aspect of things, but they get no points because the group that brings it up are cannibals, with a total pedophile leader. Which reeks of "We want to explore this, but ensure that our protagonists are still the protagonists!" Joel just figured out where Ellie is and she's trying to fight her way through a snowstorm, but I don't see this game as creating that much moral abiguity and taking any chances.

I agree, they didn't want the player to feel as though that Joel was a selfish madman(which he was). Also did it bother you about just how many people were managing to survive outside of quarantine zones? Not only to make settlements, but also provide a steady flow of travelers to feed cannibals and to keep highway men equipped.

And don't get me started on the ending.

Side note: Given there's 20 years between the initial outbreak and the game proper, wouldn't the # of infected drop like a rock?

That had me scratching my head too. How did they survive? If they were alive how did they stay alive without food or water? Given there main purpose was to find new hosts. My guess is the parasite somehow sustained them, with there only need being air.(Given you can choke them :getlost: ) Also if the spores were air borne, how come winds didn't carry it across quarantine zones? Or why didn't the spore attach to skin or opened wounds?

In the end, I came to the conclusion it's best not to think so hard about it, as thinking will bring up more questions instead of answers. (But that's the same with all zombie movies)

Its a big budget game from Naughty Dog. Guess where a chunk of that budget went.

I don't think the reviewers were getting paid for reviews, if that's what your getting at. If your saying shiny graphics distracted them, I could see that.

I thought The Last of Us was a pretty great zombie movie though.

Yeah it was. But game? Not so sure on that front. I enjoyed, just not sure if I could play it again.

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I haven't played anything since Monday. I'm going through withdrawals, man.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Had a level 21 soldier in BL2 that I loaded up from a long time ago. Had so many open quests from so many places that I decided to start over with the mecromancer or whatever her name is since it would feel new. Have all the dlc from a cheap buy of the season pass so I thought I should make a run for it.

Played some COH2 with a fellow Obsidianite which was a fun time. Taught me quite a few things but I know I have a long time before I feel comfortable with the pace and combat since I haven't play COH in forever and I'm so used to typical RTS style gameplay.

Also picked up Risen 2 with dlc for $9 which seemed decent. For those that have played the game, are there any community patches I should be installing? I know it released with a good amount of bugs.

Otherwise, really enjoy Rogue Legacy for short bursts and have put off Legends of Dawn until they release that big patch they keep talking about.

Yeah but was it horror? The only time were I was remotely tense was during the spore set pieces.

As for the survival part, stealth was so powerful, that it completely nullified the limited ammunition. (Which was probably a good thing, since I can no longer aim with a controller) Also the fact that you can choke stealth infected is just so stupid. :banghead:

'Oh look an infected, I will sneak behind them and choke them, even though one bite and I'm gone.'

It's more survival horror than Deadspace or Resident Evil. Neither of which has the atmosphere. And I think the reason I consider it more Horror is because I'd always find some way to muck up the stealthing, so I'd end up fighting off the infected. Made me HATE "Bloaters" given that I couldn't see them then just get oneshot. Made me hate the devs for seemingly not even putting in a modicum of auto-aim (spend four shots around your target because it adjusts itself ever so slightly...)

I agree, they didn't want the player to feel as though that Joel was a selfish madman(which he was). Also did it bother you about just how many people were managing to survive outside of quarantine zones? Not only to make settlements, but also provide a steady flow of travelers to feed cannibals and to keep highway men equipped.

And don't get me started on the ending.

Haven't finished yet, but for the survival thing? I could understand the first guy you meet up with (captain paranoia), given he was basically Father Gregori from half Life, but with more hair. Digging deeper into the issue of how many people were outside the zones, How did the highway men get new recruits? Half of the point of the game is that humanity is a dwindling population, and while I was working my way through Pittsburgh, I couldn't help but notice that there were 0 women. And the way it's set up, you practically went through their entire area of operation. So were they just going to be "not a problem" in 10 years because they were all dead and didn't perpetuate themselves?

That had me scratching my head too. How did they survive? If they were alive how did they stay alive without food or water? Given there main purpose was to find new hosts. My guess is the parasite somehow sustained them, with there only need being air.(Given you can choke them :getlost: ) Also if the spores were air borne, how come winds didn't carry it across quarantine zones? Or why didn't the spore attach to skin or opened wounds?

In the end, I came to the conclusion it's best not to think so hard about it, as thinking will bring up more questions instead of answers. (But that's the same with all zombie movies)

Well, given how they mutate I'm pretty sure they start becoming plants. But the odd part is it seemed like "runners" were only for the first few weeks/months of the infection, but were by FAR the most popular zombie type. In theory most of the zombie population should have been at least Clickers during the game, rather than runners. Unless there was a small troupe of magical women constantly having kids who grow up and are immediately infected.

Just finished up TWD:400 Days, was a gift from a friend, short but that was expected. Otherwise great story telling and seeing only small small bits of these peoples stories was great. I really enjoyed it, can't wait for S2 of TWD from Tell Tale. They do an excellent job with narration, and the control schema is quite refreshing to step into.

Otherwise playing some ai war, and monster hunter ultimate

Finished last of us. They need to work on pacing a bit.

And that ending.... wow. I can understand where both sides are coming from, but the thing I can't really get over is the 'docs. I know of basically no doctor that'd outright kill somebody if it meant something like that. They'd instead keep working with cell cultures until they found something solid to work with. They wouldn't "Yup, we need to study that, and we have to kill her!" and proceed to chop her head off. I am amused at how much the devs went along to make EVERYONE be complete **** to one another. The pedophile cannibal, the Fireflies, the Military, even the protagonist are all way to one out there morally.

I'm back to not having enough of an attention span or the patience to learn anything new/play anything for more than 10-15 minutes in a row.

Break time.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yet to see a Naughty Dog game that's worth the reviews it gets. Uncharted 2 was close, but...

Don't get me wrong, Last of us is a FANTASTIC game, but it has issues (like any great game). If you gave it a bit more varied gameplay, and adjusted the mechanics to be more shooter friendly (look, if there's a guy within reach that I'm shooting at, I don't think my character would make an outline of that guy on the other wall!) You'd have a much better game. As it is, the shooting mechanics get really old really fast, and you're left with basically "shoot/stealth through everything, solve a 2 bit puzzle, cutscene, repeat"

Yet to see a Naughty Dog game that's worth the reviews it gets. Uncharted 2 was close, but...

Too much sightseeing not enough gameplay?

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Strike Suit Zero it's ok for Ace Combat in Space, I suppose. Not sure what's with the wannabe Homeworld and Freespace 2 music, but it's not bad

Hah, ok, "The soundtrack is developed by Paul Ruskay, composer of the original Homeworld soundtrack."

Well that flows, then.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't think the reviewers were getting paid for reviews, if that's what your getting at. If your saying shiny graphics distracted them, I could see that.

The marketing for the game was very aggressive. It was practically pronounced GotY before release. Like most AAA titles I suppose  a lot was done right (as it usually, but not always happens when you throw money at something) but I have a gut feeling it doesn't quite qualify for the "unforgettable experience" category.

Reason being: I didn't see anything remotely original in the gameplay videos, apart from the high production values.

In fact it looked like a cinematic adaptation the current zombie apocalypse fad, which I think has already been done to death. And beyond.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

That's exactly what thought when playing through Uncharted 3 and then have not been able to go back to TLOU yet.

That's exactly what thought when playing through Uncharted 3 and then have not been able to go back to TLOU yet.

To be fair, Uncharted 3 was a mess of cobbled together gameplay with a plot that was obviously more "Lets connect this spot to that one" rather than an actual story.

I dunno, I think it's their idea of puzzle where I know exactly what I'm supposed to do but spend most of my time reverse engineering their thinking on how to do it. Was occasional in Uncharted 2, constant in 3.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif