Purple/Pink in P:E  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about pink/purple colors in P:E setting?

• I hate these colors - dont use them on anything
    • I dont mind if 'Arcane' spells/creatures will be presented by purple/pink color/lightning
    • I like purple clothes as presentation of high social status only
    • I want purple/pink everywhere
    • I think that OP is an idiot

Hello everyone,

I know I am boring that I bother with such trivial topic but it really bothers me and I would like to know if I am idiot or anyone else feels same on this topic as me. I generaly doesnt have anything against purple/pink colors but in recent years and games developed I seen raising popularity for this colors and I have to say its not my cup of the tea. Whenever I see it I imediately connect it to cartoon art style. We actually didnt seen it used anywhere in game but we have few artworks which use it extensively.

I would like to hear your opinions on that subject

artworks:

Aloth:

Animat:

Environment:

examples:

Diablo 3 vs Diablo 1

Thanks for all comments and be polite (especially to me :) )

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I don't really care; its not about the color but how it "fits" the game.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't mind the use of pink and purple in the game. Unlike the Diablo series, which was meant to have a very dark, gothic feel to it, Project Eternity seems to be lighter and more balanced, so the artists should feel free to use whichever colors they feel work the best.

Purple is a fairly rare color in nature, and when it does appear it tends to be in small amounts. That makes it a good candidate for representing both magic and royalty/wealth. That said, one of the previous times this topic came up, someone suggested not representing magic with a specific color but using effects such as desaturation/oversaturation, negative colors, etc. instead. I would definitely like to see Obsidian's artists experiment with such effects, but if they end up not working, purple is still a pretty good standby.

• Like 2

If its something ordinary, the way it would be if it werent pink or purple, then I wont mind if it is pink or purple either. For example nobles clothing. Vikings probably used pink and purple clothes (they used colorful clothing), but those were still ordinary clothes.

if you combine these colors with something that looks otherwise funky then it goes over the top and breaks immersion.

Edited by Sheikh

That diablo 3 screenshot filled me with horror, I hadn't really been following the game, but have they really strayed that far from the original concept?

from the PE screens I've seen so far I love the art style, but yeah I'd be happy if they toned down the pink and purple

They should use all of the colors as appropriate. Also, I love the color purple (not so big on pink, but it still feels right in certain areas. Flowers, some clothing.... I'd like to see a mix, and potentially themed. For instance, if you're in a mansion that belongs to a noble house that has a crest of a stag on a red background with yellow accents, I'd expect a good amount of those colors in their mansion, among others, of course.

Remember Pink Lightning from D2? I never died from it but I've seen quite a handful of HC characters who have went down that way ;)

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

There's just as much reason to forbid pink and purple from being used in magical lighting effects as there is to mandate the use of pink and purple in all magical lighting effects: None.

The reason these colors are used, as others have mentioned, is that hardly anything (if anything does) naturally produces pink/purple light. Therefore, it holds to the theme of magic being sort of separate-yet-part-of the natural world that it would produce light in "unnatural" colors.

The reason these colors are overly used is that people who make a lot of games (and/or the publishers who override all their good decisions) have no idea what the hell moderation is.

"OBVIOUSLY PINK/PURPLE MAGIC LIGHT = GOOD! MORE PINK/PURPLE MAGIC LIGHT = BETTER! 8D!!!!!"

I, too, would love to see the variance of many different aspects of the visuals (such as saturation, focus, gamma, color inversion, etc.) in spell/ability effects. But I have no desire to exclude pink and purple from ever being in a spell effect.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I like shades of purple for lighting/object/spell effects (like in that P.E. dungeon pic). That's fine, even atmospheric if it's all glowy in the dark, maybe in combo with other colors like greenish or whatever. It's being used as a spot-color mood contrast, and it works, imo.

I'm not particularly fond of purple on clothing, but as long as it's kinda mellow or only a part of the color scheme (purple striping on black, say), that can be fine, or even look cool. And I don't care if that witch in the Diablo3 pic is wearing purple, because hey, who am I to tell her what colors she can wear. ;)

However, I strongly dislike pink in general, altho it's fine for some stuff/in some situations. Like Lephys avatar creature is cute, but I don't want an RPG dungeon cram-filled with pink unicorns or purple and turquoise dirt/brick walls or something. Unless it's an obvious parody/humor attempt, like the rainbow unicorn level in Diablo3.

Most of the time, I prefer colors to be more neutral or "natural" feeling for a setting. Very bright, near fluorescent or pastel solids  (not just pink/purple, but also greens, yellows, sky blues etc) are good for punctuation here and there, but if used as a dominant theme it's definitely not my preference (Torchlight comes to mind).

Bottom line: for me bright colors are all fine in moderation/bits and pieces, but if it's too dominant ... or too far towards the pastel palette...not so much.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Only the Emperor is allowed to wear purple...

More than one Roman emperor put people to death (nobility and plebs both) for daring to wear purple.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I do not care or mind if purple/pink is used in any situation, as long as it is appropriately used in terms of location and aesthetics.

Furthermore, I think deriding purple/pink is silly. I am completely comfortable with my masculinity and want to make sure my color spray is properly represented with the entire rainbow.

Furthermore, I think deriding purple/pink is silly. I am completely comfortable with my masculinity and want to make sure my color spray is properly represented with the entire rainbow.

I guess I'm not comfortable with my "masculinity" then, because I still don't like pink/pastels. :lol:

...more seriously, for me I think it's more about how color affects mood. There's a lot of early studies re: that aspect of color. Of course it's probably largely cultural/personal experience related (stop signs, fire trucks, red emergency lights = red being "exciting, lively, adrenaline evoking, etc), but it's also likely why some people have color aversions.

Some people find yellow to be a happy color, for instance, but I don't. Bright yellow (in terms of paint/art/clothes, not the natural sun) makes my nerves scream. If I was locked in a room with yellow walls, I'd go insane before long. Yet I don't mind yellow on a small bouquet of flowers. Far as I know, I was never locked in a yellow room when I was child, so I have no idea why I have that reaction, but yeah...it's a mood thing. Staring at neutral/natural seeming colors for hours while playing a game doesn't make me grumpy, angry, tense, nervous or irritated, thus I prefer them. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I would like to see varying colors for arcane magic graphics effects...pink and purple among them. Also, I think using purple as a sign of high nobility would be neat, (hailing back to the Romans...and maybe cultures before them, considering the Romans' theft of basically everything they were from someone else.).

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I think we've had plenty of purple in games, often associated with evil (thought it's green just as often). Pink not as much, but then again neither is any other neon-y color.

In PE I think we'll see mostly earthen tones (someone mentioned that while discussing UI I think) with the more vivid colors used for magic or to point your eyes at something interesting on screen.

I really like that idea with only kings wearing purple, it seems like a nice little detail.