Dragon Age: Inquisition

I don’t think DA:I will be open world like Skyrim was, but instead be open world like BG 1 where there were a few maps you could just wander around. Or the game might tell you to go south but you could instead go north and maybe find a belt of gender changing on a random ogre and *then* you go south.

Concept art time -

BPZCTAqCMAAftGW.jpg

Caption: It wasn’t hidden, it was uncontrolled. Like the power you now command.

BQhRXV1CQAE-zZR.jpg

Caption: The Old Gods will call to you, from their ancient prisons will they sing.

BP9FZ2TCYAA6Kyq.jpg

Caption: The graves of our ancestors are littered with the bones of long-forgotten betrayals.

• Like 2

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I can only hope it restores the series to it's former glory, even if it was short lived.

Dragon Age II was the most disappointing game in the past couple of years, especially wth me being a major fan of the first game.

I actually got to fed up with the sequel and never finished it.

I'll give Inquisition a chance, but considering BioWare's recent endeavors, I'm not expecting much.

I can only hope it restores the series to it's former glory, even if it was short lived.

Dragon Age II was the most disappointing game in the past couple of years, especially wth me being a major fan of the first game.

I'll give Inquisition a chance, but considering BioWare's recent endeavors, I'm not expecting much.

DAO = Glory?

*laughs hysterically*

Someone's allowed nostalgia glasses to tint the derp roads and the Tower, at the very least. Oh, that forest sucked too. And Awakening... still doesn't work? Glory, indeed.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 3

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

My biggest issue with DA:O is they released it too late. My biggest issue with DA II is that they released it too soon.

My hope is that DA I, like that third bowl of porridge, is just right.

• Like 2

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

DAO = Glory?

*laughs hysterically*

Someone's allowed nostalgia glasses to tint the derp roads and the Tower, at the very least. Oh, that forest sucked too. And Awakening... still doesn't work? Glory, indeed.

I think "glory" here needs to be interpreted relative to the rest of the series, not relative to other games.

DAO = Glory?

*laughs hysterically*

I love the tower. It's a surreal Metroidvania mini-adventure. A world where people take the shapes they want to take, and the dead think they still live. And you run around collecting powerups and new abilities to unlock other areas.

What doesn't work in Awakening?

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Dragon Age: Origins is flawed, yes, but I feel that it was still very well done.

The fact of the matter is,  I doubt I was the only one who felt that Dragon Age II should have tweaked and perfected the mechanics of Origins rather than dumb them down and simplify everything. For example, in most role playing games, you can discuss things with your own party and they'll give their opinions on what the group should do next. In Dragon Age II, there is no way whatsoever to interact with your own companions. Even if you could, they wouldn't have much advice, considering that you wouldn't need it. The game is linear and boring.

Dragon Age: Origins was a great game in my eyes. Maybe my nostalgia of playing Baldur's Gate as a kid took over and that's the reason I immediately loved Dragon Age: Origins, but I still feel it's all around well made game that had a promising start that was ruined by it's sequel rather than improved.

Dragon Age Origins was a decent CRPG and I enjoyed most of it. I was about to forgive Bioware until DA2 when they fell beyond grace.

Not like it matters, but I want to see *stellar* reviews from credible sources (i.e. the folks I trust on forums like this, certainly not games journalists) before I touch it with a bargepole.

sonsofgygax.JPG

DAO = Glory?

*laughs hysterically*

I love the tower. It's a surreal Metroidvania mini-adventure. A world where people take the shapes they want to take, and the dead think they still live. And you run around collecting powerups and new abilities to unlock other areas.

I actually agree.  The Fade was my favorite part of DA:O-- the one part of the game that I can distinctly remember keeping me up well past bedtime because I wanted to see where it was all leading.  I can see how folks with less of a taste for surrealism and for puzzle-game elements disliked it, but it was right up my alley.  And the character-based payoff of seeing what your companions have dreams/nightmares about at the end was really solid.  (Especially Wynne, who is awesome.) 

The other main criticism it gets is that it's a chore to replay.  But the rest of DA:O never really interested me enough to want to replay it for long, so that's a non-issue in my case. 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

I prefered DA II to DA O.

Then again, I found KotOR and Jade Empire far more interesting than either of the BG games.

/gasp

I almost preferred DA II to DAO. I wanted to prefer it. But :(

I prefered DA II to DA O.

Then again, I found KotOR and Jade Empire far more interesting than either of the BG games.

Although you are a filthy heretic, I have the same preference regarding the DA franchise. :)

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

I said tower, not fade, tower+fade is a good example of not knowing when to finish in time. Maybe not as good as the derp roads, but.

While I consider both dragon ages to be flawed, at least da2 tried to be something else than the, at the time, much ridiculed bioware by the numbers. If me3 was bioware at their most arrogant, dao was bio at their least ambitious.

Awakening has well-documented, unfixed serious bugs I'm sure you are aware of. If not, you've been luckier than me. :)

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I didn't get the feeling of DA2 being ambitious, but more slapshod. Two thirds of the major plotlines are still very much in the Bioware vein. If we're to look at the family angle as them avoiding the standard plots, then we should similarly give credit to DAO for the Elf and Dwarf plots. But the city of Kirkwall had a nasty habit of breaking out into wars that threatened theentire region.

I'd go so far as to say that Loghain's "I'm helping my people, but really I just hate those BLASTED ORLESIANS" is a bit better than Meredith's "Mages are dangerous, but really I'm just corrupted by ancient evil."

• Like 2

I liked what I think DA2 was trying to do but not the execution of it

I really wanted more DA:O with some slight improvements but what I got was a jRPG*

*not intended as a factual statement and I've never played a jRPG so I have no idea what I'm talking about but I liked the first game much more

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

Guest Slinky

The combat system sure was like from a Japanese game alright. Worst thing in the game if you ask me, expecially the mage animations make me facepalm.jpg

DAO was OK. The removal of a alignment system and break from D&D was welcome, but I wanted a more tactical and complex RTwP combat system, hated the level scaling, and thought that the encounter design and was sub-par. DAO with improved mechanics, more uses for skills, better encounter design, and less level scaling would have been a good game for my tastes. To me DA2 made what I disliked more extreme and toned down or discarded what I liked.

Edited by KaineParker
  • Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I never actually hated DA 2 and found that some of the concerns people were howling about seemed fairly minor to me. Having a family structure for the main character really helped with the assimilation into the setting and the story. But the combat seemed a little too twitchy and uninteresting, while the city mostly felt like an empty shell. I played it through a second time as a mage and it was more enjoyable. I'd rate it as slightly above average.

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I never actually hated DA 2 and found that some of the concerns people were howling about seemed fairly minor to me. Having a family structure for the main character really helped with the assimilation into the setting and the story. But the combat seemed a little too twitchy and uninteresting, while the city mostly felt like an empty shell. I played it through a second time as a mage and it was more enjoyable. I'd rate it as slightly above average.

If it wasn't a AAA game I probably rate above average as well, but seeing that college students crap better work than what went into DA2 I'm trying to understand what thought process told them that it was ok to release the game in that state. I have a professional curiosity to know what went so wrong in DA2's development that the end result looks so appalling.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif