Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part IV).

Seeing the Warhammer pic, I'm once again reminded of this glorious Mark of Chaos development story (sorry if I posted it in one of the previous armour threads!):

So it was time to concept and 3D model Khorne's chaos warriors, big spiky pauldrons and all. After the initial batch of models got sent to the riggers, the riggers went back to the modelers and concept artists saying: "Guys, we just can't make them lift their arms above shoulder height. That's not supposed to happen, right? Could you maybe redesign those pauldrons?"

And so they did their best. Unfortunately, you can't screw with Warhammer canon, everything has a specific look you have to keep. So go and watch the CGI trailer for Mark of Chaos and see if you can spot many chaos warriors raising their arms. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iO9cGopQq0

(I forgot! they also gave them furry capes.)

edit: just so it doesn't seem I'm hatin', I totally love that cinematic. I'm not ashamed to admit I even ripped it off a bit in one of my recent illustrations. :)

http://merlkir.deviantart.com/art/DrDII-Palatine-424656890

Edited by Merlkir
  • Like 4

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Seeing the Warhammer pic, I'm once again reminded of this glorious Mark of Chaos development story (sorry if I posted it in one of the previous armour threads!):

So it was time to concept and 3D model Khorne's chaos warriors, big spiky pauldrons and all. After the initial batch of models got sent to the riggers, the riggers went back to the modelers and concept artists saying: "Guys, we just can't make them lift their arms above shoulder height. That's not supposed to happen, right? Could you maybe redesign those pauldrons?"

And so they did their best. Unfortunately, you can't screw with Warhammer canon, everything has a specific look you have to keep. So go and watch the CGI trailer for Mark of Chaos and see if you can spot many chaos warriors raising their arms. ;)

Actually that is pretty similar to what a modern Chaos Warrior model will look like.  They don't always have the super huge shoulder pads anymore and almost always have the fur capes.  The only real issue is no icon of Khorne was to be seen and the nance elf actually won against 4 chaos warriors by himself.  Doesn't quite happen that way in the real game.  In fact in the real game that would have been a total slaughter with almost no losses on the Warrior's side.

For example this guy.  He is actually a Chaos Warrior "exalted hero" which is sort of like a unit commander/really weak general. 

m1181680_99060201127_ChaosChampionChaosM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iO9cGopQq0

(I forgot! they also gave them furry capes.)

edit: just so it doesn't seem I'm hatin', I totally love that cinematic. I'm not ashamed to admit I even ripped it off a bit in one of my recent illustrations. :)

http://merlkir.deviantart.com/art/DrDII-Palatine-424656890

I checked out your deviantart profile, and especially like (and think they are relevant in this topic) your Nilfgaard pieces, even thought I always imagined the witcher's world on technological development level/warfare style of 14th/15th century, so in the ever-present in Polish mentality Grunwald era.

By the pics posted and comments, I agree with most of you, armor eye candy is big.  But few games permit real uniqueness to a character's look.  If I make my own shield and sword, would it look like any other?  If I meet a rich nobleman will he have not only better fitting armor, but nicer embellishments?  How hard would it be in the game world and regions to find vibrant red or blue dyes?  What would it cost?

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd love to be able to have superior great looking armor but know I worked hard finding materials and building crafting skills to get it.

By the pics posted and comments, I agree with most of you, armor eye candy is big.  But few games permit real uniqueness to a character's look.  If I make my own shield and sword, would it look like any other?  If I meet a rich nobleman will he have not only better fitting armor, but nicer embellishments?  How hard would it be in the game world and regions to find vibrant red or blue dyes?  What would it cost?

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd love to be able to have superior great looking armor but know I worked hard finding materials and building crafting skills to get it.

You mean something like this?

large_orig_scots_renaissance_b.jpg

:)

Ow, that's gotta sting. You could probably even hit something with one of those things at that range.

They used to do bludgeon people with pistol grips after shooting at them, but it could hurt the lock, so it wasn't standard procedure. No sweet wheellock gun-kata for us.