Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part IV).

The Japanese seem to consistently get European armour right. What the hell? :D Looking at recent western RPGs, it's a bit of a shamefur dispray.

Merlkir, you'll be happy to know that the Czechs came to the rescue :

OefESYr.jpg

rWMWydn.jpg

They even have the proper stances from fechtbuchs, I'm impressed.

This thread needs more Grosse Messer:

EP29v.jpg

archer_s_cutlass_687.jpg

123119_1_lg_107.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

No Mr Dundee, this is a knife!

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I've been following all iterations of this thread long before I registered and all I can say is good job to all the contributors. This widened my knowledge of armors and I will never again say "that does not look realistic" because this thread has proved me that there were crazy armors indeed in the past.

• Like 1

I've been following all iterations of this thread long before I registered and all I can say is good job to all the contributors. This widened my knowledge of armors and I will never again say "that does not look realistic" because this thread has proved me that there were crazy armors indeed in the past.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Don't forget to post your favourite designs (not necessarily historical) :)

Edited by Karranthain

I haven't gone through all 18 pages of this thread, but I do like the more realistic direction being taken (or at least implied by the majority of the posters here).

Growing up in New York City, I was lucky enough to enjoy the Metropolitan Museum of Art's fantastic arms and armor exhibit regularly. One particular coat of armor stood out as being truly princely looking. Such armor could make for a fantastic, high-end set (it is my understanding that this armor was used in jousting tournaments):

q9pb.jpg

Armor of George Clifford, Third Earl of Cumberland, ca. 1580–85 
Made in the Royal Workshops 
English (Greenwich) 
Steel, etched, blued, and gilded 
H. 69 1/2 in. (176.5 cm), Wt. 60 lb. (27.2 kg) 
Munsey Fund, 1932 (32.130.6)

Collection Areas: Arms and Armor

Edited by Zitchiock
  • Like 1

Following up on my previous post purely for entertaining purposes a completely nonsensical but fun video of Cold Steel knife manufacturer testing their version of the German Grosses Messer on various objects. ;)

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

But you see that they have flintlocks? They're from later period, at least from second half of 17th century. I think the creators are not supposed to reach that far for inspiration in generally renaissance feeling game. But that's my opinion.

Yup. I mostly liked the barrel shapes, one canon shaped and one hugely flared.

In game, it would probably need a wheel lock or match lock or whatever tech is available. 

(Hmmm, The Blunderbuss of Accuracy - minus one to hit; plus one damage; plus ten splash damage. How's that ?) 

(Hmmm, The Blunderbuss of Accuracy - minus one to hit; plus one damage; plus ten splash damage. How's that ?)

When en-e-mies, up-set yo' groove just stop...!

... Blunder-buss a move!

*music*... *music*... JUST buss a move!

• Like 2

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Some nice armor designs in this thread.  I hope they keep things fairly grounded where swords look like swords people would actually use.  After playing WoW, I wonder what those guys were thinking when it comes to gear.  As long as they get things looking somewhat normal, then I'll be happy.

I want some magical guns, guns that shoot energy lasers & whatnot (minute meteors? Fireball? Frost bolts? Etc. etc.). Bigger reload- or no reload time and charges for balance, maybe you can only shoot 2 or 3 magical blasts a day and they are weaker, and then when you rest you "reload" maybe?

Or guns that have been merged together with wands somehow, some experimental blacksmith or magician or whatever who is an innovator and tires to merge a gun and a wand together~ can we craft, smith, or combine a wand with a weapon? A sword? (I.E. use a wand in the building of the sword grip). Imo, seems there is much to explore in this regard, narratively and mechanically.

In a world like PE, I wonder if anyone would pursue this curiosity? (Combining a magical wand with a gun that is)

Since we're going to have some firearms I'd love to see a so called ''Hakenbüchse''' (hook gun) featured in the game. We're going to have some high-end extreme fantasy swords and armors in the game so it would be fair to have equally epic firearms, no? :dancing:   

Those ridiculous muskets were far bigger and heavier than standard long guns (2-2.5 meters and sometimes even longer) shooting up to 30mm diameter round balls.

The distinctive hook on the barrel -hence its name- was meant to be placed in front of a wall or some kind of rampart to prevent the recoil seriously injuring the shooter. Those guns were usually operated by two men and were mainly used to dispatch mortar + cannon crews and crossbow shooters hiding behind light cover at long ranges far exceeding the effective range of long guns of that period.

Due to its large caliber it had surprisingly good accuracy considering it was a smooth bore gun, thats why those rifles were equipped with relatively sophisticated iron sights. 

A huge, cool looking cumbersome and awkward gun with an insane amount of power and good range. Sounds like fun.  :w00t:

m2_0815b_big.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 4

Since we're going to have some firearms I'd love to see a so called ''Hakenbüchse''' (hook gun) featured in the game. We're going to have some high-end extreme fantasy swords and armors in the game so it would be fair to have equally epic firearms, no? :dancing:   

Those ridiculous muskets were far bigger and heavier than standard long guns (2-2.5 meters and sometimes even longer) shooting up to 30mm diameter round balls.

Especially as I feel in a world with giants and drakes and trolls, all sorts of heavier than normal shooting thingies would be much more common than in our history. One of these or a roman scorpion (of which I was unable to find a good picture of) would be invaluable. Something easily man or mule portable, with well high stopping power. Siege crossbows with big ass windlasses and stuff. Every keep should have a couple at hand, ready to use at walls.

• Like 1

I agree! While I don't want the devs to go insane with heavy crew-served weaponry these kind of weapons make a lot of sense to kill big monsters.
Arbalest crossbows with 700 kilogram draw weights, wall-guns on small carriages, ballistas, maybe even explosive arrows?

Wallgun.JPG

trunnion.jpg

Doppelhaken.jpg

4757029874_b534c21a4f_b.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I want some magical guns, guns that shoot energy lasers & whatnot (minute meteors? Fireball? Frost bolts? Etc. etc.). Bigger reload- or no reload time and charges for balance, maybe you can only shoot 2 or 3 magical blasts a day and they are weaker, and then when you rest you "reload" maybe?

Or guns that have been merged together with wands somehow, some experimental blacksmith or magician or whatever who is an innovator and tires to merge a gun and a wand together~ can we craft, smith, or combine a wand with a weapon? A sword? (I.E. use a wand in the building of the sword grip). Imo, seems there is much to explore in this regard, narratively and mechanically.

In a world like PE, I wonder if anyone would pursue this curiosity? (Combining a magical wand with a gun that is)

I'm not against this at all, but I'd definitely like to see it function in a "realistically"-treated unique way. What I mean is, there's not much point in having a gun draw from real-life military technology (as per this thread) if you're just going to have a magic one that arbitrarily bypasses all limitations of that technology. Questions pop up like "Why doesn't EVERYONE use that?", or even "Why not just use a wand instead if it's going to function almost exactly like a wand?"

Stuff like that. It's just considerations. Like I said, I like the idea, but we'd definitely have to figure out how best to treat said weapon. I don't know if it's as simple as just letting a gun shoot magic. The important question I'd ask is "how can a gun be affected by magic in a way that is beneficial and distinct from both pure magic and pure gun use?"

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm not against this at all, but I'd definitely like to see it function in a "realistically"-treated unique way. What I mean is, there's not much point in having a gun draw from real-life military technology (as per this thread) if you're just going to have a magic one that arbitrarily bypasses all limitations of that technology. Questions pop up like "Why doesn't EVERYONE use that?", or even "Why not just use a wand instead if it's going to function almost exactly like a wand?"

Stuff like that. It's just considerations. Like I said, I like the idea, but we'd definitely have to figure out how best to treat said weapon. I don't know if it's as simple as just letting a gun shoot magic. The important question I'd ask is "how can a gun be affected by magic in a way that is beneficial and distinct from both pure magic and pure gun use?"

The obvious reason would be the cost.

Assuming of course that a skilled magician charges more than a skilled weaponsmith, which might not be the case.

Anyway. Some thoughts pop up.

Alchemy would be the more logical companion to firearms than "plain" magic. Aven assuming magic, it'd work on the same principle as magic arrows. The gun takes care of propelling the whatever magical bullet you happen to have. Maybe it's an explosive shell, or one that superheats. Maybe it's a kind of a shotgun shell filled with fluff that puffs out an acid poison cloud or a cone of flames.

Or maybe the wand of light attached into the gun would act as a laser pointer of sorts? :D

Some sort of special permanent grease spell to make sure the barrel is frictionless?

• Like 1

@Osvir Ugh, no.

For me at least the whole point with guns in a high-magic game is that they're anti-magical. In PoE, one of their reasons for being is that they ignore Arcane Veil. Making them into just another kind of wand would totally defeat the purpose.

This game, OTOH, will totally rock. Not for TREND. Not for CORPORATE ATTITUDE. Not for STONER. Only true DOOM-MURDER HEADS.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I agree, I'd rather see the technology as an antithesis to magic (as was the case in Arcanum). Considering that the Arcane Veil is supposedly easily pierced by firearms, it seems that PE might utilize a similar approach.

That said, I wouldn't mind magical bullets - e.g. blessed bullets dealing more damage to the undead.

Edited by Karranthain

For those interested in early firearms - I just read an interesting article about those huge wall and rampart guns I mentioned in my previous post, they were actually called ''Amusettes'' and according to various old documents that kind of firearm was more accurate than any field artillery, cannon, bow and crossbow! In fact, they were so amazingly accurate they could hit an A4-sized sheet of paper at 500 yards and the guns was still regarded effective out to 1000yds! For comparison - standard smooth bore muskets had an effective range of 60yds. 

I find it amazing to get that much accuracy out of a extremely simple smoothbore gun from the 1600's.  :thumbsup:

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 3