Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part IV).

Engraved viking helmet:

Not a historical one. It's a fantasy design often sold as "viking", but in construction it's closer to late Roman or Romano-Briton spangenhelms.

(fun fact - there aren't very many "viking" helmet finds, so much of what one sees in reenactment is speculation, mishmash of various helmets, or very often older Vendel helmets used as "family heirlooms" or something.)

Also the riveted edges on the corinthian are somewhat odd. (and ahistorical I think)

Edited by Merlkir

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Engraved viking helmet:

Not a historical one. It's a fantasy design often sold as "viking", but in construction it's closer to late Roman or Romano-Briton spangenhelms.

(fun fact - there aren't very many "viking" helmet finds, so much of what one sees in reenactment is speculation, mishmash of various helmets, or very often older Vendel helmets used as "family heirlooms" or something.)

Also the riveted edges on the corinthian are somewhat odd. (and ahistorical I think)

Nope, not a historical one, but then again, it's still a viking helmet, although I guess you could call it a viking-themed helmet if you want to be exact.

There is historical evidence about helmets with parts riveted together from that era in history, including the Corinthian-type helmets (see section 4).

Exile in Torment

QblGc0a.png

Nope, not a historical one, but then again, it's still a viking helmet, although I guess you could call it a viking-themed helmet if you want to be exact.

It's Vendel-themed helmed instead of Viking-themed helmet.

Other example - Helmet from  Gjermundbu.

helmet+2.jpg

Only one helmet of this type found in Scandinavia (although this type of helmet quite usual in Slavic lands), in place whith significant presence of Venedic mercenaries (as sagas say). In other words this helmet quite unusual for Vikings ... but he looks so cool, and publishers want sell moar books ... as result in modern "viking" illustration's this helmet everywhere.

vikings_2.jpg

I think that is part of some brass sculpture of Varahi, that is one of of the Matrikas (mother goddesses in Hindu religion).

Don't be so chauvinistic. If in Christian Europe female warriors can't be (and women's armor can't be also) it's not mean what in entire world cant be such things.

But that first picture which you post was part of Hindu goddess sculpture from 18th or 19th century and no human have ever weared it and it was not desinged to be armour only actually present goddess breasts in piece of art.

I though you would like to know actual purpose of that breast plate as you were so keen to point out unfairness of saying that eastern armor looks like wizards armor. And saying that Indians used brass armors in combat in 18th or 19th centuries is quite unfair claim.

Edited by Elerond

One of the origins of the "pointy wizard hat" "the golden hats" (Goldhüte)

It is assumed that the Golden Hats served as religious insignia for the deities or priests of a sun cult then widespread in Central Europe. Their use as head-gear is strongly supported by the fact that the three of four examples have a cap-like widening at the bottom of the cone, and that their openings are oval (not round), with diameters and shapes roughly equivalent to those of a human skull. The figural depiction of an object resembling a conical hat on a stone slab of the King's Grave at Kivik, Southern Sweden, strongly supports their association with religion and cult, as does the fact that the known examples appear to have been deposited (buried) carefully.

286px-Berliner_Goldhut2.jpg

• Like 2

Continuing the "armoured wizards" theme, here's another design I think would work well :

-snipped picture-

Elegant, offering good protection and mobility.

I disagree about it being good wizard armour. To me, that very much looks like an armoured rogue, not wizard. The hat, the rapier, the practical, down-to-earth look of it all. Definitely a rogue. 

Continuing the "armoured wizards" theme, here's another design I think would work well :

-snipped picture-

I disagree about it being good wizard armour. To me, that very much looks like an armoured rogue, not wizard. The hat, the rapier, the practical, down-to-earth look of it all. Definitely a rogue. 

Fair enough - would perhaps work better for wizards if we'd lose the hat ;)

One of the origins of the "pointy wizard hat" "the golden hats" (Goldhüte)

It is assumed that the Golden Hats served as religious insignia for the deities or priests of a sun cult then widespread in Central Europe. Their use as head-gear is strongly supported by the fact that the three of four examples have a cap-like widening at the bottom of the cone, and that their openings are oval (not round), with diameters and shapes roughly equivalent to those of a human skull. The figural depiction of an object resembling a conical hat on a stone slab of the King's Grave at Kivik, Southern Sweden, strongly supports their association with religion and cult, as does the fact that the known examples appear to have been deposited (buried) carefully.

286px-Berliner_Goldhut2.jpg

I had seen those before. the hat seems to have functioned as a calendar, predicting moon phases and the like. An early example of astrology/astronomy.

and 25 wikipedia tabs later, I'm no closer to encompassing the wonder that is neolithic Europe.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

-snipped picture-

Look, it's an awesome battlemage with his splendid spellsword!

shoosh.jpg

• Like 10

-snipped picture-

shoosh.jpg

Can't argue with that hat. 

Careful... his sword MAY be a teen-romance-centric vampire. And he obviously was in such a hurry to get to battle that he forgot to remove his Celestial Nightcap of Heavenly Slumber +1.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Just stumbled across this awesome suit of armor. Totally had to post it. 

Ca. 1620

33676.jpg

Whats up with those funny faces? Seems like this was some kind of trend or running gag that started in the late 15th century.

450px-Composite_three-quarter_field_armo

So C3PO wasn't an android, it was in fact a time traveling knight from the 16th century. Explains a lot. 

3po%20tattoineT.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 4

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

My enemy's hesitation in wondering just what in the hell the designer of my armor was thinking affords me JUST enough time to take them down before the fight even begins! :)

The helmet faces are a bit strange. I'm sure it can be attributed to some potent ideal/theme at the time, that people decided should overrule practical helmet design. Not that the two are mutually exclusive. They just thought it was important enough, at least, to go beyond mere practical helmet design, and toward... whatever that is.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Oh. I just realized those helmets with strange faces appeared when codpieces were very popular. Yeah.....I will not further question the fashion and armor design choices from that period.

• Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

-snipped picture-

shoosh.jpg

That guy is a noob. This is what a proper battlemage (level 12) looks like :

LneNliS.jpg

• Like 7

i think you are being funny here, but in which way i wonder

i just don't quite get it yet, this looks completely legit to me

and still, there is this gnawing inside you are not serious about serious stuff

Edited by lolaldanee

Now that's some sweet plate armour. Absolutely gorgeous.

Basic black is timeless and elegant, but I wouldn't want to fight a summer campaign in the Mediterranean whist wearing such armor.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

@Woldan: The Messer in the first picture is absolutely gorgeous. I would love to have Messers as part of the sabre weapons class in this game. 

@Karranthian: I believe one of the earliest screenshots involving character models, either the one around the camp fire, or the ones found through the German gaming magazine, had models wielding sabres also. So I think we're good regarding their inclusion. Edit: Also, the hussar's warhammer is lovely. I particularly like the crow's beak on it. 

Edited by Greensleeve