Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part IV).

I hate pointy wizard hats. Seriously, they're ridiculous. :sorcerer:

:ban:

Seconded. I mean, Gandalf pulls it off pretty well, but that's kind of his splendor over-powering the crappiness of the hat design.

I also hate Wizard bath robes. I don't care how many arcane symbols are on them if it looks like I just got out of the shower to answer a knock at the door, or escaped from a hospital bed. "I just draped something upon myself! Because I'm MAGIC!"

I like more practical/utilitarian Wizard attire. I will say I'm a fan of the like... fingerless cloth (or even leather/other materials) gauntlet things. I don't know what they're officially called. They protect palms/forearms (even if just from the elements), yet leave fingers free for touch spells, and effects like from the Cloak of Arachnia (wall climbing a la Spiderman).

Nothing wrong with pointy hats, they are no silly at all especially if done right. They are iconic, can give an air of mystery and just look badass. They are better than most of the alternatives games have tried over the years and in fact their lack of appearance in recent serious games means they are due for a comeback!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I hate pointy wizard hats. Seriously, they're ridiculous. :sorcerer:

:ban:

Seconded. I mean, Gandalf pulls it off pretty well, but that's kind of his splendor over-powering the crappiness of the hat design.

I also hate Wizard bath robes. I don't care how many arcane symbols are on them if it looks like I just got out of the shower to answer a knock at the door, or escaped from a hospital bed. "I just draped something upon myself! Because I'm MAGIC!"

I like more practical/utilitarian Wizard attire. I will say I'm a fan of the like... fingerless cloth (or even leather/other materials) gauntlet things. I don't know what they're officially called. They protect palms/forearms (even if just from the elements), yet leave fingers free for touch spells, and effects like from the Cloak of Arachnia (wall climbing a la Spiderman).

In that respect, I think Aloth's attire's pretty good :

Aloth.png

This design (which I posted some pages back) would also work nicely for wizards, I reckon :

0MatorinV_KnDmitriyDonskoy.jpg

I have to say, Aloth's appearance really does NOT do it for me, its bland and nondescript at best. Hell, he looks more like a rogue than a wizard.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Wizard robes and pointy wizard hats, with moons and stars and planets.

They are a statement. Look at me, I'm a Wizard, respect my wizardness!

They say I'm such a badass spellcaster I don't need no stinking armor or any weapons, I need nothing whatsoever beside my magic awesomeness!

Also, when you've done laboratory experiments for a week without sleep, you're all covered with slime and smell of rats and old cheese,

you can just toss the fresh and minty wizard robe over your normal attire, cover your mess of a hair with the pointy hat and you're immediately presentable in court!

I'd make them high level attires, the best ones giving some bonus to magic skills, but most importantly not hindering them in any way like even the light armor would.

A low level casters would need the armor protection and a sidearm, takes a high level caster to rely on magic only.

• Like 4

samantha-swords-1.jpg

Samantha Swords European martial arts armor which she uses in sword fighting compentions, has quite adventuristic look as it combines leather chest armor, plated arms and under them is padded armour.

Picture is from this article

http://fashionablygeek.com/videos-2/this-armored-lady-won-the-longsword-competition-at-a-world-invitational-tournament/

Point of this post is to show that it could be nice if we had ability to combine different armors types together.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 3

I have to say, Aloth's appearance really does NOT do it for me, its bland and nondescript at best. Hell, he looks more like a rogue than a wizard.

I respect your adoration for pointy hats and the like. I don't think they're inherently horrible or anything. It's just... as Jarmo kind of hit on, it's a bit silly for a Wizard (especially a non-master Wizard) to stroll about in "I'm clearly a Wizard, and that declaration is really all these garments do, since I can't actually maneuver alleyways or duck under things in them without removing my hat, and I'll never ever hide from a single person or go unnoticed in a crowd in my life!" attire, all the time.

For what it's worth, I'm not saying Aloth's concept art is the end-all-be-all for Wizard garb. But, there is a huge difference between "looking like a Rogue" and actually dressing with some modicum of utility in-mind.

Maybe uber-master Wizards could wear blatantly-Wizardish completely impractical clothing, but even then, that's a bit arrogant, is it not? "HAhaha! I'm so splendtastic, I don't even CARE who knows I'm a Wizard! I WANT my enemies to spot me from a mile away, and go ahead and prepare strategies for swiftly silencing me and/or otherwise trapping me before I can even do anything! But, I think I'm so powerful, I'll just will their plans to fail! MUAHAHAHAhahaha! Also, I never need to actually move about in a practical fashion, because I just hover everywhere and/or cast spells on my hugely bulky robes and my 7-foot tall pointy hat so that they never trip me or get in my way, or I just cast spells on cavern corridors and such so that they expand around me so as not to snag on any of my clothes! 8D!"

Not that all "typical" robes and Mage attire is so preposterous or anything. But, it does tend to get pretty cliche, and tends to beg the question "why do Wizards wear that?"

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'd vision the traditional wizard attire to mostly be for town & court use, much like a lords or kings fancier colorful clothes.

For a military campaign or an adventure, all of them would prefer something a bit more rugged and protective.

For a wizard, an armor jack with leather pants, gloves and boots would serve nicely. Maybe worn under the robe, if game engine permits.

Alternatively, a breastplate over the robes would still maintain the wizardly qualities. (with armor gauntlets and plate boots perhaps?)

Of course, we'd still meet plenty of spellcasters in the traditional pajamas, when caught unawares not expecting to face combat.

• Like 3

Speaking of which, how do you envision heavily-armoured wizards (which is something we might encounter in PE)? I've found an interesting design, which I feel would work quite well :

Heavily armored Eastern Elite warrior = wizard for you? This armor is extremely better than any western fullplate (good ventilation and ergonomics, better steel etc).

Heavily armored Eastern Elite warrior = wizard for you? This armor is extremely better than any western fullplate (good ventilation and ergonomics, better steel etc).

Let me guess, Turkish nationality?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

My view of Wizards would be either:

1. the type of wizard they are. Are they Battle wizards?

skyrim_mage.jpg

I like the knives with the above picture.

warcry_battle_wizard72.jpg

2. from what region they're from. This will determine what style of clothing they have. Are they from a tribe such as below?

fantasy_battle_wizards.JPG

3. Are they allied with different factions? Are they allied with Rogues and dress like Rogues?

Black_Robe.jpg

4. Are they Wizards for a Kings Court?

24v1de9.jpg

While most don't have the pointy hat, I think it's always good to include a variation of it when it doesn't look out of place. The possibilities are endless due to the type of factions they could be aligned with and the regions they're from. Also, the different styles of armour with the Tribe Wizard having pelts and leather while the Kings Court Wizard wearing breast plate. The robes on the others could be hiding the type of armour they have underneath.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist II
  • Like 4

My view of Wizards would be either:

1. the type of wizard they are. Are they Battle wizards?

skyrim_mage.jpg

I like the knives with the above picture.

2. from what region they're from. This will determine what style of clothing they have. Are they from a tribe such as below?

fantasy_battle_wizards.JPG

3. Are they allied with different factions? Are they allied with Rogues and dress like Rogues?

Black_Robe.jpg

While most don't have the pointy hat, I think it's always good to include a variation of it when it doesn't look out of place. The possibilities are endless due to the type of factions they could be aligned with and the regions they're from. Also, the different styles of armour with the Tribe Wizard having pelts and leather while the Kings Court Wizard wearing breast plate. The robes on the others could be hiding the type of armour they have underneath.

I like those 3 - still feel wizardly (or perhaps shamany from the tribal one) but different.

This one is from Xurge3D (makes outfits for the Poser program) - stylish yet with freedom of movement ;)

f_mage_V4_display.jpg

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

This armor look's like Indian/Persian, not Turkish. Actually better European armorer's make similar armor design in Late medieval period, but these armors not similar to stereotypical "Shinning Knigth can".

Helmet_of_Warrior.JPG

medieval-clothing-724.jpg

This armor look's like Indian/Persian, not Turkish. Actually better European armorer's make similar armor design in Late medieval period, but these armors not similar to stereotypical "Shinning Knigth can".

-pictures snipped-

The question was directed at you, not the armour, I believe. 

Alternatively, a breastplate over the robes would still maintain the wizardly qualities. (with armor gauntlets and plate boots perhaps?)

Aye, that'd work well I reckon. E.g. imagine this wizard :

-snipped picture-

Wearing one of these :

-snipped pictures- 

Yeah, that'd look really cool. I am looking forward to the character building possibilities, as well as the added tactical options, given to us by wizards in armour.

Though I have to say that Wayne Reynolds, who I think is the illustrator of that wizard, really loves his belts and pouches a bit too much.  

Aye, that'd work well I reckon. E.g. imagine this wizard :

-snipped picture-

Wearing one of these :

-snipped pictures- 

Yeah, that'd look really cool. I am looking forward to the character building possibilities, as well as the added tactical options, given to us by wizards in armour.

Though I have to say that Wayne Reynolds, who I think is the illustrator of that wizard, really loves his belts and pouches a bit too much.  

Indeed, can't wait! I'd also add half armours to the list of suits suitable for wizards (at least for those who'd value protection over mobility, that is) :

5666044605_694dc460f0.jpg

I.12246.jpg?x=0.774991077559

hm4_2_330_9_big.jpg

Half+armor+-+Maxmillian+x+2.jpg

The gauntlets would probably be a bit too unwieldy, however.

(And yeah, Reynolds does have a thing for belts :)

• Like 2

I think that is part of some brass sculpture of Varahi, that is one of of the Matrikas (mother goddesses in Hindu religion).

Don't be so chauvinistic. If in Christian Europe female warriors can't be (and women's armor can't be also) it's not mean what in entire world cant be such things.

These women's breastplates quite common for India.

8702475759_9d42ab7ef2_z.jpg

d5234738l.jpg

sinu_breastplate_poster-rc9f4d47be0d64dd

For Hindu culture female warriors don't looks unusual.

http://www.fscclub.com/history/indian-combat-e.shtml

http://www.hindujagruti.org/articles/84_rani-durgavati-gondwana.html

For Persia also female warrioirs are usual

poland_persart_fig_10.jpg

In Ancient world women's armor quite common even in Europe

tumblr_m16c840KLw1rpkzjfo1_500.jpg

bronze-age-breastplate.jpg

• Like 1