Armour & weapon designs - a plea (part IV).

Needs more Landsknecht armor and other outrageous 16th century outfits!  :w00t:

Grown men in skirts and tights! Awesome!

German-Lansquenet-costumes-.jpg

With boob plates as well, combined with impressive codpieces. 

Wanna come and say something about my outfit? Would you like to meet mr. halberd?

• Like 1

Haha. That guy's not even FEMALE and the chest of his breastplate protrudes!

*realism referee whistle*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

A question just popped into my head, do we know if PE will feature armor consisting of several parts like breastplate, arms, legs? Has there been any official word on this?

I just looked at a few 16th and 17th century armor designs and thought it would be neat to be able NOT to equip each character with a complete suit of armor covering her/him from head to toe in metal.

Not practical you say? Absolutely! Many mercenaries at that time couldn't afford a complete custom made suit of armor so they only protected the vital areas like chest, thighs and parts of their arms with armor. Also a lot of foot soldiers were equipped with half-armor / munitions armor - a mass produced kind of plate armor that only covered the vital areas, not the whole body.

This would make a lot of sense if complete suits of armor in PE were really expensive.  (as expensive as they should be)

Munitions armor, half-plates, three-quarter armor, mercenary armor etc.

Like this:

pike1b.jpg

pike1h.jpg

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 6

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I think there was a mention the armor would be one piece in IE style. Then gloves, boots and hats. Not sure though.

I'd guess there'd be half armor sets available.

Partly armored would really require hit locations to work out, which would be awesome but I doubt we'll see it here.

I think there was a mention the armor would be one piece in IE style. Then gloves, boots and hats. Not sure though.

As I suspected. Even though its not necessary at all having a slightly more complex armor system would have been really nice; I've always thought that this is one of the few areas in oldschool-style RPGs where an upgrade could be made.

Though I'm definitely not a RPG rules guru so I cannot foresee what kind of complex problems and difficulties the developers would have to overcome to implement such armor system.

• Like 1

This would make a lot of sense if complete suits of armor in PE were really expensive.  (as expensive as they should be)

i'm of the same opinion here, full plate armour should cost a fortune

also, i too would like to have more than 1 armour slot, at least have seperated breast and leg armour

(und a herzlichs "Grias God" noch Ästereich so nem'bei *wink*)

Yeah, the individual-armor-piece approach kinda also plays up to the "You're just a traveling adventurer who's trying to handle situations as best you can" notion, too. I mean, for at least a certain duration of the game (until you get some well-established stronghold, or powerful faction affiliation, etc.), you're kind of a nomad. "We need to go to this town, because this reason! Oh crap, different stuff, different scenarios. Okay, now we need to go to this town."

It'd be nice if playing someone who could only afford a steel forward-arm bracer/pauldron -- while keeping a bronze off-arm bracer/pauldron -- was possible. Or, you know, "I've got this really nice breastplate, to protect my breathy/blood-pumpy bits, but my arms and legs are just covered in leather."

I guess what I'm saying is, even though not ALL adventurers would mix-and-match, it IS a pretty feasible thing in the context of adventuring.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

One good thing about Ultima 7, the mix and matchable armour.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

One might go so far as to say it is the... Ultima-te option... 8)

(und a herzlichs "Grias God" noch Ästereich so nem'bei *wink*)

Jössas na, was macht'n soa Bergdeutscha da?  :w00t: 

It'd be nice if playing someone who could only afford a steel forward-arm bracer/pauldron -- while keeping a bronze off-arm bracer/pauldron -- was possible. Or, you know, "I've got this really nice breastplate, to protect my breathy/blood-pumpy bits, but my arms and legs are just covered in leather."

I guess what I'm saying is, even though not ALL adventurers would mix-and-match, it IS a pretty feasible thing in the context of adventuring.

I agree.

While I'm not a huge fan of Skyrim I have to say I enjoyed the multiple armor slots and being able to wear mis-matched armor a LOT. Wearing an iron breast plate and only mild leather gear (Boots, leather gloves) made roleplaying my wayfaring adventurer so much better. I really didn't want to equip this character with a complete suit of iron or even ebony armor; I tried but it didn't feel right.

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 1

Can anyone show me some cool new world weapons? Blowpipes and obsidian axes, stuff like that.

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I agree.

While I'm not a huge fan of Skyrim I have to say I enjoyed the multiple armor slots and being able to wear mis-matched armor a LOT. Wearing an iron breast plate and only mild leather gear (Boots, leather gloves) made roleplaying my wayfaring adventurer so much better. I really didn't want to equip this character with a complete suit of iron or even ebony armor; I tried but it didn't feel right.

As someone mentioned already (in another thread recently, methinks), Skyrim's design also completely overruled the idea of different designs from the same material. Well, except for the handful of alternative "skins" for things (like the horned iron helm versus the non-horned one, etc). You couldn't make iron chainmail, or iron plate, for example. You just had "iron armor." And you couldn't make some cool particular style of breastplate out of Ebony. You just made the one-and-only Ebony armor.

I'd really love to see different blueprints for different pieces offering differing pros and cons (THIS breastplate as opposed to THIS breastplate, etc.), even before material is factored in.

I think there's something to be learned from the variety in arms and armor (as seen in this thread) in real life. This people made their armor like THIS, because of what they faced, the climate, the tactics being prevalently used against them, etc.

It would be amazing for on-the-go adventurers coming through all these different lands to kind of mix-and-match from all the various styles and benefits of various designs and materials.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Would love to be able to play as a similarly lightly armoured skirmisher type of a warrior.

That's simply preposterous. Everyone knows that all historical combatants, ever, simply wore the absolute heaviest armor they could possibly get their hands on, and that's that, u_u. They actually just ran through fields made out of sharp edges, so any spot not covered by full steel was instantly gouged out/severed. And the people who made it all the way across the field without dying won the battle. It had nothing to do with their ability to engage opponents and move freely, or stamina, or any of that malarky...

8)

Would love to be able to play as a similarly lightly armoured skirmisher type of a warrior.

That's simply preposterous. Everyone knows that all historical combatants, ever, simply wore the absolute heaviest armor they could possibly get their hands on, and that's that, u_u. They actually just ran through fields made out of sharp edges, so any spot not covered by full steel was instantly gouged out/severed. And the people who made it all the way across the field without dying won the battle. It had nothing to do with their ability to engage opponents and move freely, or stamina, or any of that malarky...

8)

You're totally right, so here's my plea for another armour-set:

The-Rangers-mighty-morphin-power-rangers

Elan_song.gif

8)

Wow, what a fine example of a hysterical strawman. 

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

Actually. DId some people ever choose to fight in lighter armor if heavier was available?

Berserkers yeah maybe.

No denying the usefulness of light cavalry in scouting and harassing or stuff like that,

but wasn't it rather the case you have light cavalry so better make use of it.

Did some army decide that nah, no we'll rather have light infantry than heavy.

I get not going to a hunting trip in heavy plate,

but I don't get going into battle in furs if you have the plate as well..

some celtic warriors did, but more for religious reasons than anything else

well, once the middle ages were over, some nobility choose to wear lighter armour, but only because they no longer would be in proper battle themselfs :p

Edited by lolaldanee

8)

Yep, and and everyone knows that what you need when squeezing through a tight space in a dark and dingy dungeon is a suit of full plate armor and a 5 foot two handed sword

• Like 2

Morrowind's sytsem was great, you could pick from loads of  pieces, chest, legs, left and right arms, gloves..etc...

and you could wear clothing underneath and robes over the top, you could end up with a co-ordinated look or you could look absolutely ridiculous :grin:

Edited by motorizer

And probably go looking into pokey caves and holes...

I support different armour types having different uses....when the orlan horde is marching on your stronghold, then you should be able to say "Jeeves, bring me my plate"

But if you're climbing down ropes into an unexplored dungeon and may have to squeeze through small openings etc...it just feels utterly stupid from a realistic character's point of view to go down there in a suit of plate even though game mechanics (purely combat) would probably mean it was the best.

"your armour gets jammed in the tiny orifice...you starve and die"

Also there is the point about not drawing attention to yourself, there 6 of you, not an army, for all we know the bad guys may have an army...you'd most likely keep your head down and dress as a merchant or something

But since as far as I know they plan on making all armour types viable, then I guess we can just roleplay this if we want to.

It's a little difficult to get right because we, as gamers, are looking for a fight because combat is (hopefully) fun, whereas any character with half a brain would actually be thinking "balls to that, let's go round them"

Edited by motorizer
  • Like 1