Obsidian why you stop !

DavidSaysHi

That does not mean it's not possible Stalker is a great example of that, nobody understood a word unless you read the subtitles, but the game takes place in Russia why on earth should they speak anything but russian?

Actually it takes place in Ukraine and they speak Ukrainian :p . And I personally didn't mind the accents in Skyrim, what I hated was that there was 3 voices for all guards everywhere. And I also didn't really like the fact that I didn't understand what were some random people talking about in STALKER, because there are no subtitles for that.

There was a number of suggestions on Bethesda's boards to move Fallout out of US, so I expect they'll make a DLC with that.

Edited by Aoyagi

If Beth keeps going with east coast and Obsidian with West, I would imagine we could see Canada in the future. More likely with Obsidian's coast because Californiais done to death, moving north would be logical. Beth has only just startedfleshing out the east.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If Beth keeps going with east coast and Obsidian with West, I would imagine we could see Canada in the future. More likely with Obsidian's coast because Californiais done to death, moving north would be logical. Beth has only just startedfleshing out the east.

Or south into Mexico...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Or south into Mexico...

They did put a lot of effort in polishing Petro-chico and Raul's story, so you could be right.

Josh Sawyer wanted to do a Fallout game that took place in Europe during the Resource Wars or something, IIRC. that would be rad

But keep in mind that he said this like a million years ago. Could be possible that he changed his mind by now. :>

I personally want Fallout to stay where it is. If they move it to a different country, you can as well give it a totally different name, because it would have really nothing in comon with the other games, except a few background story elements.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If they move it to a different country, you can as well give it a totally different name, because it would have really nothing in comon with the other games, except a few background story elements.

It could still make for a nice, gritty game, keeping the background history intact but moving the action to some place like the Ruhrgebiet could have some a lot of potential for dystopian adventures. A bit like that steel expansion for F3 (sorry, don't remember its name), just a fully fledged game (and who knows? JE might even appreciate the German setting).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What I liked about the progression of FO1 to FO2 to NV was the effect of time, as opposed to geography, had on the world. A bombed-out wasteland is a bombed out wasteland no matter where it is, what I want to see is the experience of reconstructing society. NV has been criticised by some in comparison to FO3 for being "too civilised", but I think that's looking at it from the wrong angle. Do we think humanity in a post-war scenario such as that presented will forever remain in the hole they've dug themselves, doomed to just counting out time? Indeed I'd go so far as to say the timeline is actually too slow, and the content of the later games set in an "unrealistically" far future compared to the backstory.

I'd be interested in seeing whether there is support for taking part in evolving the world, to the logical end-point of a post-Fallout world, either with the emergence of a new renaissance where the bombs are just articles in history books, or with the final snuffing out of the final flicker of humanity. Or is the setting just a Mario-esque repetition of the same theme, where time has no meaning?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I wouldn't have anything against a Fallout game set outside the US. In fact, I don't understand all the "It wouldn't feel like a real Fallout"-comments. Fallout isn't set in 1950's USA. Fallout is set in a post-nuclear world, and the main theme is new civilizations springing up and fighting for resources because war never changes.

Post-war USA was a major influence on the Western world just as it is today, so a game set in non-communist Europe would have pretty much the same style as the other games anyway, if you go with all of the pre-war world being stuck in a retrofuturistic 1950's.

It would be a hell of a job to create all the new factions and mutated animals though, so I wouldn't bet on either Bethesda or Obsidian to leave their well-known American ground any time soon. I'm just saying I won't protest if they do. 

Please do not encourage Bethesda to move Fallout to another country, just take Skyrim as an example, the closest bethesda got to a nordic accent was a guy that sounded like Arnold, not exactly satisfying is it, imagine if Obsidian had changed the language and accents to russian in Fallout, how would you feel about that as an American.

Fantasy or not, that was the main reason that kept me from immersing into the game

Skyrim isn't Scandinavia, and male Nords have always sounded Scottish before Skyrim. Of all the reasons to complain about Skyrim, that one is just downright silly.

Edited by AW8

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."

Is Bethseda even working on Fallout 4?

Is Rocksteady working on Arkham 3?

Is Valve working on Episode 3?

Probably.

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."

Just let it die. It was bad enough for older Fallout fans to see Fallout turned into an Action-FPS hybrid game. Fallout will always only be Fallout 1 & 2 in my eyes, it was the brainchild of Jason Anderson, Leonard Boyarsky, and Tim Cain, not Bethesda and not even Obsidian. It was blasphemous to turn it from an isometric turn-based RPG into a FPS, and to be honest I'm sick of all these disloyal spinoffs. Let it Rest in Peace.

• Like 1

Just let it die. It was bad enough for older Fallout fans to see Fallout turned into an Action-FPS hybrid game. Fallout will always only be Fallout 1 & 2 in my eyes, it was the brainchild of Jason Anderson, Leonard Boyarsky, and Tim Cain, not Bethesda and not even Obsidian. It was blasphemous to turn it from an isometric turn-based RPG into a FPS, and to be honest I'm sick of all these disloyal spinoffs. Let it Rest in Peace.

I for one really enjoyed FNV and I don't care whether I kill enemies by clicking on them with a pointer of with a crosshair. I'm in for the story and atmosphere.

As for Bethesda and Fallout 4, I'm skeptical.

• Like 1

I think someone needs a hug.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think someone needs a hug.

Only if it is isometric and turn based.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I agree the "bombed out wasteland" thing can only last so long. They're already making a Road Warrior game, it won't be long until "bombed out wasteland" is "bombed out" in the eyes of the general consumer - like zombie apocalypse ****, or "future/modern warfare" .

The nice thing, is that Fallout invites some potential zaniness. You could totally do something like Bioshock one, in a sense - a crazy group of survivors from a vault made this whole new society using ridiculous technology and you can explore it. For instance, we could take to the skies in Fallout 4 and explore a society of airborne crazies. Or maybe, head into space? Maybe someone's colonized the moon.

Naturally, you still have the blasted wasteland stuff, but you have less of it - you vary it with the chance to go somewhere new.

Actually, it would be an interesting story to say something like - before the war, the US sent astronauts into space for one last space mission, to prepare for a last-ditch effort to salvage the US government, or something. Maybe it contained the current president as his staff? Only, they saw the destruction on earth and all just decided to enter cyrogenic freezing capsules on the ship? Decide to come back centuries after the world had "fixed itself"? Only, all the crygenic tubes failed, save for your character. You're a former cabinet member of the president of the US?

I'm not big on Fallout lore, so I dunno if this would make any sense, but that's the general idea. You start out in space, on a space station. Then, you descend to Earth. A twist like that could be interesting and fresh.

• Like 1

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

The whole "find another planet to colonize" was the original plan for the Enclave, with the Vault used to analyze the effects such a long journey would have on the astronauts and all the various problems it might entail (scarcity, malfunctions, etc.) This is technically non-canon, given no game makes mention of it, but that was the plan while writing the Enclave in Fallout 2.

"Frozen ex-government guy" is also pretty close to the original idea for the canceled Van Buren's antagonist Presper, when the storyline was still penned by Chris Avellone. That said, I think a short section (or a DLC*) sent in a similar location would be more effective than a full-length game.

* just don't do it like Motership Zeta or the worst parts of Old World Blues

• Like 1

I'd love for Obsidian to make more Fallout games... just give them more time than what they were given for New Vegas.  And don't make it isometric or turn-based, I cannot see how an isometric game can be immersive at all.  That's a thing of the past, time to move forward.  Third/first person open world is the way to go.  /putsonflamesuit

Save RPGs

Saying Dragon Age 2 is the worst recent Bioware RPG is like saying the Ferrari California is the worst Ferrari. It's still a Ferrari; an elite, top-tier, without much competition in today's industry.

And don't make it isometric or turn-based, I cannot see how an isometric game can be immersive at all.  That's a thing of the past, time to move forward.  Third/first person open world is the way to go.  /putsonflamesuit

Define immersive and don't forget to explain why that should be a goal of every role-playing game, then maybe I'll be able to see the logic.

• Like 2

Immersive is... go boot up VTMB and sit in your apartment. Listen to all the sounds. Flip on the television and hear a plot point about a quest you've done or will do. That's almost the quintessential kind of immersion games need - a compelling, well-realized soundscape, things in the world which make you seem like a small part in a larger story. I'm convinced that's all you need.

Do all RPGs need it? Not necessarily, but if you're giving up immersion you need to get something else in return, otherwise the game will be weaker as a result.

I made a 2 hour rant video about dragon age 2. It's not the greatest... but if you want to watch it, here ya go:

Only if it is isometric and turn based.

Hehehe.  Fallout 1 & 2 are two of my favourite games, but New Vegas is pretty damned awesome too.  It'd be a shame to have not experienced that, having known what I'd be missing out on.

Edited by alanschu

Immersive is... go boot up VTMB and sit in your apartment. Listen to all the sounds. Flip on the television and hear a plot point about a quest you've done or will do. That's almost the quintessential kind of immersion games need - a compelling, well-realized soundscape, things in the world which make you seem like a small part in a larger story. I'm convinced that's all you need.

Do all RPGs need it? Not necessarily, but if you're giving up immersion you need to get something else in return, otherwise the game will be weaker as a result.

I have the feeling that a well-realized soundscape doesn't coincide with immersion in Rhamnetin's mind given he specifically refers camera and the combat system. In fact, I can see many people complaining about V:TMB being "immersion breaking" because of the dice-roll based shooting.

But he compalained about the camera, and that is idiotic. I was more immersed in Planescape:Torment than any other game.

That is why "immersion" is just a buzzword. Immersion is a good thing, but what someone finds immersive is strictly personal. I for example find first person and OTS camera just annoying, not immersive.

Edited by Malekith

the closest bethesda got to a nordic accent was a guy that sounded like Arnold

Austrian accents: "Close enough" to Scandinavian ones, apparently.

Also if Obsidian makes another Fallout I'll mail both Obsidian and Bethesda topless photos of myself. I may be a man with a rather modest A-cup, but hell such news would tease the shirt right off me so they deserve to see the results of their work.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?