Project Eternity Rezzed screencaps (world map, new areas)

Yes they have. Solid, part of the world UI like the Infinity Engine games. Josh has mentioned it in Update 36 and on the Something Awful forums (and his formspring too I think), and it was also mentioned in Update 54.

Ah.

Well, slider it is then. Hear that, Josh/team? Transparency slider. Gimmie. ;)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Might have to wait for a UI mod for that, sounds kind of against the original vision of the UI, since the UI will be hand-painted by Kaz.

Edited by Sensuki

Might have to wait for a UI mod for that, sounds kind of against the original vision of the UI, since the UI will be hand-painted by Kaz.

Transparency doesn't mean Kaz's art isn't there. It's just translucent. I've seen it in other games.

But yeah...I'm not highly expectant of a slider. It'd just be nice. I find translucency to give me more of the illusion that less of the screen is covered up, that's all.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Nobody ever asked for it, but here's an equally crude version of the layout with portraits twice the size; it still takes less space than either of the originals, but there's plenty of room for buttons (which also are close at hand to the portraits) and the expandable log.

nw1zq.jpg

Edited by centurionofprix
  • Like 1

I really like how that dungeon is looking, and that wilderness area. I do agree that the combination of the tan with the green forest areas is a mite confusing on the map, since I normally expect maps to either not reflect colour at all or do it throughout. It doesn't bother me, though, just takes a bit more time to suss.

I hope the whole UI in that shot is placeholder, honestly. I'm not fond of how stacked up and over on one side it is, even beyond the transparency (which I realise is temporary, but it makes it harder to imagine how it would be without it). I liked the layout of the last mockup, though I also prefer the aspect ratio of the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale portraits to the squares. In the end, though, so long as the UI turns out to be functional as well as solid and decorative, I'll be happy with it.

• Like 1

knightofchaoss.jpg

wZGj0um.png

That is actually UI v0.5, so ignore everything I said about it.

Lady Crimson can you remove that part from the thread title to avoid any more confusion ?

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

As an aside, I'm enjoying the texture of the rock faces. I live near the mountains so i know what they are supposed to look like. If there's one area for improvement, I'd say that adding in some scree slopes would help. Clean cliffs with a bare base should be the exception, not the rule. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Thank you for posting these.

The store concept art is excellent and now my favourite, but not by far.

Between the VS dungeon, VS wilderness, shop concept and the original screenshot, I like how a wide variety of colours is notably used. It strengthens my conjecture, that visually, this game will be a sight to behold.

I dislike, how many games make one or two colours predominant throughout the game, to forcefully create an atmosphere. It feels like a cheap trick - having a constant and obvious visual clue of how/what I should feel, without having any good reason to feel so.

• Like 1

That has been one of the most interesting posts around PE I've ever read. Nice one Sensuki :)

I think everything is looking great, I'll leave the technical analysis to people who know more about the IE than me.

I just want to play this game like yesterday !!! :w00t:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That portrait size makes me cry, a lot. As a fan of the Baldur's Gate and World of Xeen UI's I would be very very very very sad if that is the portrait size that we got for Project Eternity. There is so much screen space to utilize for bigger portraits, so I would be unhappy with that as the final design.

I remain puzzled by this viewpoint. Once you know what your characters look like, how much time do you spend staring at them? I'll bet almost none. The only time they are of interest is when you need to select one of them to perform an action. The small icons should be more than enough for that purpose. What I imagine will happen is that larger views of the portraits will be used during conversations and when looking at your character information.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Lady Crimson can you remove that part from the thread title to avoid any more confusion ?

:)

Nah, snakes are much better.

I think I like the snakes a bit better too ... altho, in my ideal world, what I might like best is a combo of the two. Keep the snakes, but make them a bit more wispy/smoky or something, vs. being quite as defined as in the original pic.

That portrait size makes me cry, a lot. As a fan of the Baldur's Gate and World of Xeen UI's I would be very very very very sad if that is the portrait size that we got for Project Eternity. There is so much screen space to utilize for bigger portraits, so I would be unhappy with that as the final design.

I remain puzzled by this viewpoint. Once you know what your characters look like, how much time do you spend staring at them? I'll bet almost none. The only time they are of interest is when you need to select one of them to perform an action. The small icons should be more than enough for that purpose. What I imagine will happen is that larger views of the portraits will be used during conversations and when looking at your character information.

It's quite simple really. I prefer the screen real estate that Baldur's Gate,  Icewind Dale and World of Xeen used for portraits than Icewind Dale 2.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

That big city artwork looks mighty big in comparison to the world map. If that's comparable with everything else, then I think the game will be sufficiently large enough for me. Things have seemed kinda micro sized for this being a new game coming out in 2014, and I still think the characters and zones are at least 10-20% too small in scale for usable space, but everything else is turning out better than anticipated. I'd be curious to know what the average screen size people are playing on is.

Someone mentioned the possible cave covered with spiderwebs. One thing about the way they're doing the hand crafted dungeons I wonder about is if they'll have hidden passages and rooms? I always liked stuff like that in these types of games. I also hope they use some objects that you find to use them to construct legendary weapons or objects for your party, sort of a scavenger hunt. Even better if you have the option to choose how it's to be used. Such as collect 3 of X and 5 of Y and special item Z allows you to make either a pair of daggers, a long sword, or a pair of gauntlets, etc. 

Ohhh I just realized one thing about the way they're doing the dungeon creation. I think that's going to make modding the game kinda difficult. Hopefully we can find a work around, and hopefully they give us a reason to visit the same spaces more than once. Or, make the new spaces compelling and not the same look and feel throughout like Skyrim's dungeon design.

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade
  • Like 1

Wouldn't be surprised if it's 1920x1080.

We haven't been shown the closest zoom level of Project Eternity yet, the view in the environment demo was not the closest view, but it was the 'standard' view.

The UI looks more compact in its layout, but I hope they aren't going with the plastic/utilitarian look for the final one. A bunch of people seem to think there's this dichotomy where you can only have either a nicely skinned UI or a small, efficient one. Which of course are two completely different things, yet never the less how the UI is laid out and how it's skinned are a Venn diagram that mostly overlaps in the middle.

I.E. I like the layout of the UI better, but please make it solid and cool looking too. There's nothing stopping both efficiency and good looks. As for the portraits... why can't there be both big and small ones? The character you've selected has a big portrait, the other 5 have smaller ones.

I also hope that the wilderness slice hasn't had a lighting pass yet, because right now it looks like a blank noonday sun, which is as boring as you can get for an outdoor area.

Edited by Frenetic Pony

^ Well... I think... er... didn't we find out that was actually an older layout than the one they showed us in the recent update?

I mean... I'm not saying you can't still like it better, heh. They're still two distinct things. I just wanted to make sure I didn't blond out on everyone here by reading something wrong. And that, if I'm actually not confused and mistaken, that everyone realizes that what's shown is actually "v 0.5," and that we're still in for a version past 1.0 here soon.

Reference:

wZGj0um.png

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u