Project Eternity Rezzed screencaps (world map, new areas)

New worldmap - hopefully we get a high res version soon

11oojL8.jpg

Defiance Bay - Big City #1 (or perhaps #2 as Chris said it was a backer location)

8crjWP0.jpg

Vertical Slice Dungeon - Editor View

gBg6hkC.jpg

Vertical Slice Dungeon - Actual view (pre-paintover - no machine, wires etc)

35zoTSM.jpg

Store concept art

AJRWdJ4.jpg

"Animat" concept

Vkh9IJ4.jpg

"Animat" Factory concept

1JeEjSW.jpg

User Interface v2 (or perhaps it's just a placeholder UI, but it does seem like a progressed layout from v1)

Zi3jj1m.jpg

I just want to comment on the UI version here. I do like that design better than UIv1, I like that the combat log is now on the left side, which is my preferred reading side of the screen.

I think I see how the UI is going to work. The combat log and menu will be collapsible so that the UI minimalist fans (**** :p) get their minimalist UI - good design decision as that will keep people like IndiraLightfoot etc happy.

BUUUUUUUUUT

That portrait size makes me cry, a lot. As a fan of the Baldur's Gate and World of Xeen UI's I would be very very very very sad if that is the portrait size that we got for Project Eternity. There is so much screen space to utilize for bigger portraits, so I would be unhappy with that as the final design.

My suggestion based on that UI would be the following. Have 3 settings for the right section of the UI

Big portrait, little menu
Small portrait, big menu
No menu, small portrait

Where big portrait, little menu looks like this - yes it takes up a tiny amount more screen space, but that screen space would be otherwise unused IMO.

pOHCBPI.jpg

You could even bring the combat log in so the portraits would fit within the same UI space, but you'd lose a hotkey or two.

I would also prefer if the UI was in the middle of the screen rather than left aligned, but that's just me.

• Like 18

I just want to comment on the UI version here. I do like that design better than UIv1, I like that the combat log is now on the left side, which is my preferred reading side of the screen.

I think I see how the UI is going to work. The combat log and menu will be collapsible so that the UI minimalist fans (**** :p) get their minimalist UI - good design decision as that will keep people like IndiraLightfoot etc happy.

This is probably just a placeholder. I hope so.

• Like 3

Of course it's a placeholder but the size and location of the UI elements do seem like a logical progression from v1. Obviously the buttons for abilities won't be that big, that will be just the natural scaling of the button size written into the mockup UI.

• Like 1

I don't like the empty space where MCA's video is, while the UI seems too cramped. I would prefer some decorative elements so the UI is not so cramped and more spaced out. Also, BIGGER PORTRAITS ffs.Art is an importand part of the game aesthetics, and the character portraits are a very distinct part of the art.

The UI should cover the full lower part of the screen( the empty part is useless anyway, no one would cramp his party there in the corner with the UI blocking his characters moving to the left).

Just as well to use it to space out the UI, add bigger buttons,bigger portraits,some decorative elements etc.

• Like 3

Animat "factory"? Here's hoping that's no WIZARDRY level silliness.

Watch the video in the other thread, that's just how Chris described the function of that dungeon. It sounds really awesome.

That might not actually be the intended size of the UI v2

That's just my recommendation if that is the direction they are going.

That may even be pre UIv1 as they had a UI like that when Josh was doing combat testing months ago.

Edited by Sensuki

I don't like the empty space where MCA's video is, while the UI seems too cramped. I would prefer some decorative elements so the UI is not so cramped and more spaced out. Also, BIGGER PORTRAITS ffs.Art is an importand part of the game aesthetics, and the character portraits are a very distinct part of the art.

The UI should cover the full lower part of the screen( the empty part is useless anyway, no one would cramp his party there in the corner with the UI blocking his characters moving to the left).

Just as well to use it to space out the UI, add bigger buttons,bigger portraits,some decorative elements etc.

obsidian are obsessed over mouse movement effeciency for some reason. it seems much more important to them than aestethics and readability.

whatever they do, I hope they won't use IWD2-style small boxes portraits. it's ugly as hell. portraits should be portraits, with portrait dimensions.

• Like 3

The area art is pretty incline :)

Defiance Bay looks cool as well, less 'sections' than BG and Athkatla but hopefully it's still about the same size.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 1

I guess the UI is just a placeholder, but for what it's worth, I don't like this layout at all. It seems to gather up the wost aspects of both the classic and minimalist styles, being both large and obstructive to the widescreen viewport, and rather unpleasant aesthetically in its placement and in closing off only part of the screen. If it was spread across the entirety of the bottom part of the screen, it would take the same amount of space but in a more even and pleasing way, and the larger part of the viewport would have more space vertically, which I'm certain would be more useful than the small bit in the right bottom corner.

• Like 4

I do recall Josh saying there were two different sides so it's possible that's just the mockup UI used for the demos, anyway eager to see the new UI when it's presentable, but from the sounds of it I might be disappointed.

Just the quickest MS Paint take on how I'd like to see it. Obviously the placement of the portraits/icons/log could be changed around for usablity - this is just to demonstrate the use of space. It takes slightly less space in absolute terms, allows the log to be expanded, and the larger part of the viewport is more open vertically.

2wm2z3r.jpg

Edited by centurionofprix
  • Like 1

Placeholder or not, I definitely like the transparency of the UI. I hope they keep that aspect.

I still don't personally care much about the size of the portraits on the in-game screen, as long as they're big enough I can tell them apart in some fashion (eg, not only 5mm high, haha). I'd make a wild guess the individual character screens will have/show large size portraits there.

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I definitely like the transparency of the UI.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo... :bat:

Yessssssssssssssssssssss... :cat:

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The transparency is definitely placeholder, I was merely talking about the location of the elements on the screen. Kaz's UI art hasn't been applied yet.

Have they said that? I wouldn't mind some border art but I like having transparency vs. totally solid. Maybe they could have a transparency slider....

• Like 2

Yes they have. Solid, part of the world UI like the Infinity Engine games. Josh has mentioned it in Update 36 and on the Something Awful forums (and his formspring too I think), and it was also mentioned in Update 54.

I am pretty sure they will be supporting minimalists by making the combat log and menu bar collapsible, but I will fight for portrait size to the very end ;)

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

The water looks fantastic in the wilderness shot. Like, a lot better than in the old in-game footage. Wonder if it's placeholder, or if they've made some advancements. 

I'm guessing that Defiance Bay concept is Kaz and the Store Interior is Polina, both are beautiful. 

New map is a big step up, but one thing that irks me about these maps is, what's with all the tan territory? Is that desert? I'm assuming grassland or something, I just wish map would reflect that. As is, it looks like the Dyrwood is in the middle of a desert. 

I hope that UI is just a placeholder for level testing, it is fugly. I hate the transparency and shape and the whole layout. The first one they showed was fine.

Kaz hasn't been on the team for very long, so they may actually both be Polina :p

Then again Kaz was charged with figuring out the 'cultures' so city design may tie into that.

I think I have confused some people, that UI is definitely placeholder, but the positioning of the elements on the screen, may not be.

I can't go back and update the OP so hopefully people will read the thread before posting about it.

Edited by Sensuki