Has Project Eternity been silently delayed?

Well if you break the year up into quarters I'd probably consider Q2 the summer quater and April is the first month in Q2. That said when kickstarting I always pretty much thought, 'if they hit the targeted release window great but I don't really expect them to so no big deal if it comes later.' Maybe it's because I pretty much expected but if they do delay it a few months I'm totally alright with it. Heck, I'd rather it be delayed until December 2014 if that is what it takes to get us a high quality RPG.

If they know for sure that PE would be releasing late 2014 I'd appreciate some offical word on it but really I think they've been doing a good job keeping us informed on the developement process so I don't mind if the release date is a bit in flux.

• Like 5

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

That said when kickstarting I always pretty much thought, 'if they hit the targeted release window great but I don't really expect them to so no big deal if it comes later.'

Eh, really depends on the "later". There was also supposed to be a system in place "later"  where backers could register, manage their pledge and shipping details and such...

8 months and still waiting.

• Like 2

Late May/Memorial weekend tends to be thought of as the start of summer around here, even tho technically summer doesn't officially start until June. Not like early-mid-May would be that much of a delay from the last day of April, either.

Regardless, April was always an estimated arrival date, with nothing super-specific about it and in the interview I'm sure he's just being broadly generalistic to avoid being media-pinned down to some specific date.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This.

Opinion: I am a firm believer that Obsidian should be allowed to work at their own pace with the game without having to feel rushed. If they feel they can finish it by April 2014, fine, but if they decide that they want to polish it further and/or work on it some more (a.k.a. can't finish it by April 2014) then I wouldn't mind it much from a consumer standpoint if it was released in May, June or even July~

I'd prefer to have a finished product rather than a rushed product.

Thoughts/Ideas that may or may not contradict the above Opinion (Very much an "IF scenario"): What about an episodic type of release? Let's say Obsidian can't finish the game entirely by April 2014, they've got all plans all concepts for the last areas on paper, last levels and last stuff to put into the game but they need 1 or 2 more months to actually develop it (model the areas, balance, quests, story progression etc. etc. spawn points, locations or whatnot, triggers you get the deal I believe). Should they release 70% of the content in April 2014 and then release 30% of the last content periodically over the course of the following months like Telltale's game "The Walking Dead"?

Yes. That's what happened. Furtive, wordless glances in the darkened hallways of Obsidian. Executives and writers together, thinking as one. Delay--at least for 45 minutes while we decide on Wasa, or Wahoo's.

April was always a placeholder. Next summer would be great. If not, I'll wait longer.  

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

I hope it's been delayed if that's what it needs. Part of the reason I backed this was so that the Obsidian devs could take as much time as they felt prudent. If that's a two month delay, or a six month delay, or over a year and is judged for the better, then it's for the better.

• Like 1

If you're expecting to see this before 2016 you are officially insane.

Awesome,  this should give us plenty of time to discuss the implementation of Romance\Sex in PE :)

• Like 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Omg, get out of the thread! No more of that crap please ;)

:biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm pretty sure that they will have it cranked out by 2014.

If they don't I won't have anything good to play.

13745067_500.jpg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

If Obsidian feels the game needs to be moved back for the sake of quality, then by all means...

The only real issue is the "silent" part. But that won't happen, because Obsidian should know that they've invested so much communication already in the backer community that we're the most powerful marketing force they have: So long as they stay in our good graces in terms of honest and forthright communication, including anything "negatively" impacting release, I'm pretty sure the vast majority of backers will be forgiving. 

In actual practice, it's amazing how even simple and short communications from developer to player can assuage concerns/fears and maintain a level of loyalty. This sort of relationship is much more tangible in the MMO industry because game development is ongoing; some developers are much better at communicating with their constituents about bugs and "how things work" versus others, and silence on issues becomes a dark mark very quickly.

Any sub/cultural phenomenon gains power and longevity solely through the power of fandom. From my perspective, Obsidian can't risk their entire reputation as a developer studio in failing to deliver a polished final product on the KS model, especially with some tarnish from previous works. The only choice is thus "it's ready when it's ready." Then happy fans will carry this phenomenon ever forward.

P.S.: LadyCrimson has a chinchilla avatar. She is now my favorite mod ever.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I stick by my 2Q rule. If a game is delayed by more than 2 quarters (~6+ months) then I'll be a bit peeved and my expectations go up.

Quality is the premium here, I'm willing to wait those extra few months for a game to be properly finished. Too many games have very rushed endings and content in the game files that don't make it into the final release (see KOTOR2).

Crit happens

In this video, Adam Brennecke says that the game is planned for release in "Summer 2014". As far as I'm aware, the month of April is not typically considered to be a summer month.

They are limited to the budget collected with the kickstarter campaign so I wouldn't worry too much about delays. Delaying a game means spending more money in wages, consumptions (electricity), and other costs. They probably can't afford it.

If they really wanted to make a stellar product and they needed more time to do that they could ask the banks money. In that case they would be able to delay the release significantly. But i don't think it is probable.

Edited by Rahelron