Internet vs. debates

TrashMan

Everyone knows the only thing worth debating about is if the designated hitter was the worst thing that has ever happened. And of course it is.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Doesn't seem that much different than "DA3 vs TW3, which is better and why? Discuss!", currently to be found in forums Obsidz, to be honest.

In any objective sense it's all a bit silly and trivial, but then it's not like much if any serious business internet discussion is going to alter the world either. 

Actually I would dispute that as you have several cases of prominent businessmen, celebrities and politicians saying things on Twitter and other mediums of Internet communication that have really embarrassed them and caused them to lose there jobs. If these people hadn't lost there jobs who knows the impact they would have had on the world either positive or negative

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Who do you think would win in a fight, this thread or Hurlshot's RV Trip thread?

"Random superhero #1 vs random superhero #2" threads are the lifeblood of comicbook forums.

Right now its mostly "What else will DC break with their New 52"...

I'm seeing more "how long until the next DC reboot", "I wonder what series will be replaced by Batman next", and "When will Peter be back as Spider-Man", although that is definitely common.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

This is a bad time for comics, sad really because with all these comic themed movies coming out they should have had a resurgence. Instead both Marvel and DC have gone down the rudder.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Maybe Superman's biology multiplies his power absorption of the sun to 15.5 supernovas?

Which would break several other laws of physics, making (again) any calulations pointless. Which was my point.

You can invent or write anything in fiction. But if it doesn't make sense then it doesn't and applying physics to it is pointless.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

Hm. I think I might have been slightly interested in those kinds of discussions when I was around six years old. Are you seriously telling me adult men are sitting on comic book forums and debating about this?

Yes apparently. Every day. All day.

There are several internet sites dedicated only to that.

And reading it you will either cry of laughter or cry out of dispar for the future of mankind.

Everyone knows the only thing worth debating about is if the designated hitter was the worst thing that has ever happened. And of course it is.

Ahh... Hitler loves you you know.

hitler-timeline-350594.png

http://www.toplessrobot.com/the-legend-of-koizumi-1391621.jpg

This is a bad time for comics, sad really because with all these comic themed movies coming out they should have had a resurgence. Instead both Marvel and DC have gone down the rudder.

I follow the old wisdom: time destroys all things. Including franchises. As any long-running series go on, more and more crap accumulates and eventually the writers eiter run out of idea, or re-hash ideas or just have very stupid ideas.

1297188482111166.jpg

Well, when the Big 2 are being run by the same people who were behind the 90s and all the gimmicky stuff, I don't see how it could be any other way. Then, even if someone likes most of the content, comics are $2.99 or $3.99 a pop, which is pretty damn expensive. Getting into comics is harder than ever because a potential new reader will be eithernconfused or bored by the content of a comic, keeping up with comics will be too expensive for them, and deciding which of the 11 Batman series, 6(soon to be 8) Avengers series, 7 X-Men series it is best that they keep up with may be a daunting task.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Hm. I think I might have been slightly interested in those kinds of discussions when I was around six years old. Are you seriously telling me adult men are sitting on comic book forums and debating about this?

And reading it you will either cry of laughter or cry out of dispar for the future of mankind.

Hehe, look at the "power grid" on the right side: http://marvel.com/universe/Captain_America_(Steve_Rogers)

Well apparently some people take comic book universes seriously enough to try to classify such things :S

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Hehe, look at the "power grid" on the right side: http://marvel.com/universe/Captain_America_(Steve_Rogers)

Well apparently some people take comic book universes seriously enough to try to classify such things :S

Marvel put out handbooks that detailed a lot of specific power levels for characters.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's nothing. You got entire sites dedicated to collecting and calculating data. Databases of superhero "perfomance".

That siad.God-Man vs. Superman.

discuss:

http://gocomics.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c5f3053ef0120a5b83fcb970c-800wi

Han Solo versus Greedo in a fair fight, who would win? :w00t:

Yeah, those kinds of topics are usually silly. Borderline spam, since it doesn't add anything of value.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

SUPERMAN VS. GOKU!!!!!

BATMAN VS. SPIDERMAN!!!

Banana vs. Square Root of PIE

Yeah, those kinds of topics are usually silly. Borderline spam, since it doesn't add anything of value.

I'm going to need to see your nerd card and check the expiration date.

Also: Solo shot first

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Does anything here do that though ? :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ewoks vs., Ghurkas.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Swine Flu vs The Clap.

• Like 3

Swine Flu vs The Clap.

You are a very sick genius.

• Like 1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I actually keep hoping this thread will turn into a VS thread about the Internet VS Debates.

"The internet allows communication between large groups of people..."

"So do debates in large open commons - stfu noob"

etc.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

emacs vs vi

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I actually keep hoping this thread will turn into a VS thread about the Internet VS Debates.

etc.

1. Debates online are not time controlled. Therefore you get people wandering in half way through

2. Debates online are never summarised for people joining late, or anyone losing track of the thread

3. Debates online do not typically control membership by credibility

4. WHY AM I NOT IN THE PUB?

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

etc.

1. Debates online are not time controlled. Therefore you get people wandering in half way through

2. Debates online are never summarised for people joining late, or anyone losing track of the thread

3. Debates online do not typically control membership by credibility

4. WHY AM I NOT IN THE PUB?

Because debates on a pub often degenerate into physical confrontations? Which has redefined the term "sore winner" into it's most literal iteration.

village_idiot.gif

Walsingham vs Nonek, who is more British?

Swine Flu vs The Clap.

You are a very sick genius.

I know.

As long as it doesn't descend to the depths of the "would your rather" side of the  x vs y..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."