Update #56: Paladins and Wild Orlans

I can't wait to hear more about the ciphers, the sneak peek at the end of the paladin lore was fascinating! But have they explained why there are two extremely different cultures of Orlans? Does one just shave more or are those biological differences?

As someone who played a bunch of D&D paladins, this update pleases me! :D

However, I have a question: Does playing a paladin in PE have as far-reaching consequences to role-playing as in D&D? The update seems to hint that way (what with emphasizing fanatical devotion to the paladin's respective cause), but mostly focuses on the combat abilities. What I mean is like in Icewind Dale, you had to turn down monetary quest rewards if you had a paladin in your party. Will the same be true (in respect to the paladin's specific cause, of course) in Project Eternity?

Groo is still use pasty, sissy paladin surcoat for wiping bum after making toilet.

:lol:  :yucky:  :wowey:

First off, animancers! Yay, I love them already, although I know next to nothing about them.

Also, those hairy wild orlans look great! They are neither Chewbacca nor Ewok, I reckon. More like some early renditions of Neanderthal people back at the last turn of the century. 

As for paladins. It's not my first choice when playing through games (but sometimes they can be great companions). I'd rather go for undead-hunting clerics or their opposites, necromancers. They seem a bit boring and neighbourly this time too. Are there any plans to make them especially fervent when encountering undead abominations? I'd like to have them less scout-leaderish and more zealot-feverish in armour. Also, perhaps they could have some special soul-bond to a particular weapon made in some sacred forge, a living weapon that guides and misguides them.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I really like the look of the orlans (both versions).

As for the paladins, flavour description was really nice. Combat abilities' usefulness will mostly depends on the scale of the buffs provided (+5% to move speed vs. +100% makes difference between useless and overpowered).

But what about non-combat situations? Will playing a paladin have some sort of impact on dialogues/exploration/world interaction? Will they have any abilities useful for anything else than fighting?

• Like 1

I will play a wild orlan paladin and name him Mewbacca. After I finish with Thelonius, monk.

Digging the paladin mechanics. Nicely differentiated from the other fighters, and I especially like the work you're doing to make the concepts fit the lore. "Buffmeister" isn't my favorite mechanical role but I'd sure like to have one in the party, OTOH if you make the world reactive to the paladin's lore-position, even a little, I would want to play that as the PC at some point.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Mico Selva,
I'm sure that the usefulness of the abilities will be adjusted through playtesting. They're just sharing the concept behind the mechanics as of now.
As for the non combat roles, I'm with you on hoping that a player class like a paladin will be reflected in dialog/interaction. I'm pretty confident that Obsidian will implement as much reactivity in those aspects as reasonable possible.

• Like 1

As for the non combat roles, I'm with you on hoping that a player class like a paladin will be reflected in dialog/interaction. I'm pretty confident that Obsidian will implement as much reactivity in those aspects as reasonable possible.

I'm hoping for other classes to have something to do outside combat too. I'm actually a little bit worried that 95% of the game mechanics mentioned so far concern combat. Not that I dislike combat in my RPGs (quite the opposite :p), but I would like other activities to be present in the game too.

Edited by Mico Selva
  • Like 3

Hey, nice work on Paladin :) I've confidence you'll do a great job with it. I wish I had such a skill like Shake It Off in Baldur's Gate while all my mates but one were Confused/Paralysed/Stunned/etc.

Concerning Orlans, they look great. But if anybody don't like their furry look, you might just consider covering them with fluff instead of fur ?

The "foundational" paladins in this part of the world were the legendary elite guards of Darcozzi Palace in the Grand Empire of Vailia

i'm not that huge of a fan of the fact that your class is tied to a specific single order, and that you will probably get associated with it even if you don't like it.

I think the same for monks...

Shake It Off (Active) - The paladin can command an ally to temporarily ignore existing Hostile effects for a short duration.  The effects are suspended; they do not lose any of their duration and will resume as soon as Shake It Off expires.

I think it needs a name change, it sounds like an invitation to the dance floor.

(Would have been funnier if it was called Walk It Off)

Edited by zimcub

zimcub: Agreed. "Shake it off" can refer to even more intimate inter-body contact than that.

Also, the recipient doesn't technically shake the condition, it's just a short window of freedom. So why not "Free Spirit" or "Window of Freedom"?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm hoping for other classes to have something to do outside combat too. I'm actually a little bit worried that 95% of the game mechanics mentioned so far concern combat. Not that I dislike combat in my RPGs (quite the opposite :p), but I would like other activities to be present in the game too.

I'm not worried too much. Some folks seem to nitpick what we've been told about the combat, so I understand why Obsidian have made it a priority to address those concerns, rather than elaborate on the non combat options.

I like the role this class seems to have. A leader type on the battlefield that inspires companions with buffs, etc. I hope he/she can also have an effect on enemy morale and de-buffs. Maybe being able to lower enemy resistance by having an ability that threatens them. An intimidating aura that lowers their attacks.

Or maybe an ability that deceives the enemy. The Paladin "parleys" with the selected enemy, which gives your party bonuses to flank attacks (rouges get back stab bonuses) while this ability is being executed.

• Like 1

I like the Paladin concept, they are basically zealot / Kommissars. Cool.

OTOH the Orlans are a bit too 'furry hobbit' for my tastes but is no biggie as my Paladin Sonderkommando can persecute them for being cute.

• Like 3

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'm going to be weirded out playing a character surnamed Valla from Vailia, dammit. Won't be playing any paladins - I'm incapable of playing a character who's motivations aren't personal - but welcome their existence as philosophical foes.

Last week's Oglaf strip (Laridae) sums up my view of paladins perfectly. Not going to hardlink because the site is unsafe-for-work, but the strip itself is fine.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

"Shake It Off" - this sounds a little too casual and non-fantasy-like compared to the other ability names.

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

"Shake It Off" - this sounds a little too casual and non-fantasy-like compared to the other ability names.

I agree the name sounds off, but I doubt this will be the final name. I'm guessing they'll change ability/skill names more than once.

The "foundational" paladins in this part of the world were the legendary elite guards of Darcozzi Palace in the Grand Empire of Vailia

i'm not that huge of a fan of the fact that your class is tied to a specific single order, and that you will probably get associated with it even if you don't like it.

I think the same for monks...

-snip-

Eh... All Josh said was that the origins of the paladins are to be found amongst the Darcozzi guard. Modern paladins are not in any way necessarily tied to that order. I can guarantee you that there will be multiple orders of paladins, and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't necessarily have to be part of any of them. 

Edit: Right, I should probably say something about the update. Great job! Really looking forward to having a paladin in my party. 

Edited by Greensleeve