Holy Avenger  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Holy Avenger?

• I would like it to be in the game and be paladin restricted.
    • I would like it to be in the game and be available to all/multiple calssess.
    • I don't want it to be in game.
    • I would like something similiar.
    • I don't care.
    • What is a Holy Avenger?!?
    • I just like to vote.

So what do you guys think is the holy avenger a must have for an IE inspired game or do you even care?

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Im a big fan of class restricted equipment. Theres no good/evil in PE so perhaps it would just be called the Avenger?

Given me an idea for another option. XD

Edited by Sarex

over powered gimmicky sword associated with lamest class in the universe? meh, sure...but only as 50$ DLC.

Lamest class...You sir are a heathen. Paladins are my favorite class, and if they where so lame I doubt they would have been added to the game.

edit:I see there are some who don't know what The Holy avenger is.

The Holy Avenger is a sword restricted to the paladin class that is usually obtained through a valiant quest.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Holy_avenger

Edited by Sarex

The what now?

Well... anyway... in general terms I don't mind equipment restricted to certain classes. Generic equipment should be open to anyone (even though it may be impractical), but say, some Sacred Bow bestowed upon some legendary archer by some God of the Hunt should not be able to be used by some tower-dwelling wizards to whom nature is something that happens on the other side of his walls.

'Course that sort of thing might be tricky to implement. Especially if PE turns out to be open-ended enough that it's entirely possible for a wizard to be a master huntsman. But in that case the bow becomes generic and quest-related rather than class-based.

So I guess I don't really have an opinion here. Not a coherent one, anyway.

The what now?

Well... anyway... in general terms I don't mind equipment restricted to certain classes. Generic equipment should be open to anyone (even though it may be impractical), but say, some Sacred Bow bestowed upon some legendary archer by some God of the Hunt should not be able to be used by some tower-dwelling wizards to whom nature is something that happens on the other side of his walls.

'Course that sort of thing might be tricky to implement. Especially if PE turns out to be open-ended enough that it's entirely possible for a wizard to be a master huntsman. But in that case the bow becomes generic and quest-related rather than class-based.

So I guess I don't really have an opinion here. Not a coherent one, anyway.

But then classes become pointless, except for a few bonuses. I think that those who like their wizards to wield axe should just go dual class or something.

I'd like to see more iconic weapons that aren't large swords.  Some of the less standard fair of weaponry being better represented would be fantastic, I think.

Longinus spear?

I'd like to see more iconic weapons that aren't large swords.  Some of the less standard fair of weaponry being better represented would be fantastic, I think.

One of the best things about PS:T was there were dozens of axes, maces, and daggers, but basically only two longer bladed weapons in the entire game.  

Since the game setting is post-gunpowder, but only barely, if it follows modern analogues, swords will actually be secondary to battleaxes in terms of primary melee weapons.  Swords just aren't as good with armor penetration after all.  

Holy to which deity?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I generally dislike class-tied equipment, with some exceptions.

Maybe something like holy avenger would be an exception, if it was tied to some deity and would be "activated" with a quick prayer.

In hands of everybody not belonging to the deity, it'd be an ordinary well made sword.

And I do believe there'll be plenty good and evil in PE, not as a stat but still.

Wrong game and could even be copyright infringement :p

Holy Avenger is based off Excalibur, so there is nothing original in it. I don't even think that the name is trademarked (could be wrong).

• Like 1

it's possible the name falls under D&D license, dunno.

P:E isn't a good vs evil universe so the concept of a Holy Avenger doesn't really work.

Edited by Sensuki

I don't feel the need to add the Holy Avenger in particular, I think other memorable/iconic weapons would be equally interesting (for those who recognize them).

However, as Sensuki pointed out, some of those items may fall under the D&D license, so if anything were included it would likely be more of a reference than an item actually being represented.

Edited by JR.9613

I wouldn't mind equipment sets either. Something like a set that gets more powerful the more of it you find.

They would have to be done right, so it would still be beneficial and even encouraged to mix and match pieces. I don't think having one "master" build per class would be much fun, but maybe that is just me. If this were implemented, however, I would want trinkets/jewelry to be included, not just armor. 

Getting off-topic though, sorry.

Edited by JR.9613

This isn't D&D the "holy avenger" as you are referring to it is a D&D magic item.  There is no reason for it to be in game.  The devs can create their own unique magic gear and lore weapons, they will be cool enough for me.

• Like 3

Instead of a generic holy sword, maybe we could have religious relics or weapons that are either blessed or cursed depending on who wields them.  Also, this may not necessarily restricted to weapons, but tomes, scrolls, bones, etc.  Clerics and paladins could wield such objects with greater power than lay people and with greater benefits against opposing religions/ factions.

• Like 1

The Holy Avenger is a sword restricted to the paladin class that is usually obtained through a valiant quest.

Though I like the idea, if they did make a special quest line around a unique and extremely powerful weapon, it'd be kind of a shame if it was restricted to just one class. Instead it might be nice if such a quest line and content focused around the creation of a weapon that is 'attuned' to the PC's soul, thus when they wield it, it gains bonuses and abilities corresponding to their class, skills or maybe even respond to past actions etc.

• Like 2

carsomyr.jpg

Hell...fukken...YEAH.

I still rememebr the first time I played BG2 (with a paladin) and got this sword.

• Like 3

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

carsomyr.jpg

Hell...fukken...YEAH.

I still rememebr the first time I played BG2 (with a paladin) and got this sword.

And the feeling when you upgrade it to +6. XD

The ID2 one wasn't to shabby either. The heart of furry one has 1d8+10, +10 bonus dmg and +30 spell resistance. Then you dual wield it with the vanilla one and just annihilate anything that you meet. 

holy_avenger_sword.jpg

Edited by Sarex

Not necessarily the Holy Avenger per say...but class-restricted items yes. It gives them a uniquely personal feel. I still remember the joys of finding the Melodic Chain for my all time favorite class... the blade (dual-wielding scimitars ofc as they just looked so epic - take that Drizzt).