Cloaks and other cloak-like things.

Hooded robes, like the one my Profile picture is wearing or the mages of Candlekeep would also be great. I always wanted to look like one of them but with red or black or green heavy robes.

Half-capes, FTW! And brooches, too! Cloak security, YEAH! *vertical atmosphere punch of excitementnessitude*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I like cloaks and simple capes, but my favorite is still the long, open western/cowboy overcoat, flapping back in the wind. I know, it's cliche by now, but I still love it.

When I manage to sock away a few bucks into my "just because" envelope, I intend on buying one. They've loads of character.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Cloaks are suitable for all kinds of climate, they used to be a common piece of clothing among most classes in various shapes and forms. 

You wouldnt use a cloak on top of other cloathing in a desert would you? There is no point.

Im fine if some cultures use cloaks for fashion, but I hope that doesnt radiate throughout the whole game.

Although magical enchantements would always be a good reason to wear a cloak.

Edited by Sheikh

Cloaks are suitable for all kinds of climate, they used to be a common piece of clothing among most classes in various shapes and forms. 

Doubles as a blanket or pillow or face covering when the sand is blowing or the sun is burning, and in a pinch, they can be used as a carrying bag!

....there are heavy, thick hooded cloaks/almost-ponchos for cold and rain and there are lighter, more decorative or other purpose cloaks. Weather doesn't always have anything to do with why they're worn.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well, I'm sure every single NPC in the game isn't going to be parading around in a cloak. Nor would I imagine one's own character will be forced to don one, if the player doesn't want the look/roleplaying of one. :)

At the moment we're not even 100% clear if they will be in the game ... only that they're working on/looking into it.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you look at bedouin clothing, the amount of cloth used is ridiculously high. They often wear things over their clothes which could easily double for what we'd call a cloak. As LC said, cloaks are terribly practical, especially if you're travelling.

• Like 1

======================================
http://janpospisil.daportfolio.com/ - my portfolio
http://janpospisil.blogspot.cz/ - my blog

You wouldnt use a cloak on top of other cloathing in a desert would you? There is no point.

Yeahh... backing up Merlkir here, have you SEEN the layers of clothing that desert cultures wear? They don't walk around in speedos because it's hot. I wouldn't be surprised if a fantasy desert culture had very light-weight, breathable cloaks that they let flutter in the wind while they're walking about, then clutch around themselves in sandstorms, etc, for added protection. Hell, they could even wear some kind of mantle thingy, and pull the cloak around that, then pin it. Now, it doesn't hug them tightly and trap extra body heat when they're in the sun, yet the sunlight directly heats the CLOAK instead of their layers of clothing underneath. It's like Perpetu-shade. "Desert cloaks! Now with Perpetu-Shade Technology! 8D"

Not to mention, nights in a desert can get awfully chilly, quite rapidly. Like LadyCrimson said, they have a plethora of uses. They just wouldn't be the same as wooly cloaks worn purely for body-heat-trapping in frigid tundras or chilly wooded regions, etc.

Different cloaks for different folks... 8)

Besides, you just pointed out the whole "enchantment" thing, which is yet ANOTHER reason to wear a cloak in a desert, even if it served no other purpose whatsoever (wasn't lightweight and breathable, and you didn't use it as a blanket/satchel, etc.).

There's a practical use for some form of cloak in almost every situation imaginable. Except maybe... underwater? *shrug*

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'd like a Shaed, but Rothfuss is working on a T:ToN.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.