High difficulty areas

I just started playing this indie game called knights of the chalice. It is 3rd edition dnd with isometric minecraft graphics. Whats sets the game apart from any infinity engine game or other dnd computer games I played is the difficulty. There are dungeons in the game  where you can't leave till you kill the boss. So you have to actually buy wands and scrolls, prepare and manage your party resources and be careful in every enemy encounter you come across. If you want to prevail. Despite being frustrating it is a lot of fun and feels very achieving completing a difficult dungeons. Project eternity could use some areas like this to be less  hack and slash and more strategic.

• Like 2

I really have to create some time to play Knights of the Chalice...Although the graphics worry me a bit.

As to your point; while I don't think Obsidian will do anything like not letting players leave a dungeon until it is complete, I do hope for some high difficulty areas.  Personally, I would prefer levels to be designed so that there are fewer fights that are tactically challenging and have no grinding through mobs unless there is a compelling narrative reason.    In fact. i would love it if in certain dungeons, or dungeon areas there were encounters designed in such a way that the opponents could retreat while remaining engaged in combat so that a fight might occur over a series over rooms as opposed to the room to room, clear out  mob x, format that is so common.  So instead of the pyramidal, trash mob, to competent mob, to elite mob, to mini-boss (or boss); there would be a sort of continuous fight with potential ambushes, traps, etc.

NWN 2 tried to do something like this in the Bonegnasher Lair (I think), but it came off as grindy, but IWD 2 had a few tough slogs of this type.  Some of this is AI related, and some level-design, but this is one area I think Obsidian will do a good job.  

I really have to create some time to play Knights of the Chalice...Although the graphics worry me a bit.

As to your point; while I don't think Obsidian will do anything like not letting players leave a dungeon until it is complete, I do hope for some high difficulty areas.  Personally, I would prefer levels to be designed so that there are fewer fights that are tactically challenging and have no grinding through mobs unless there is a compelling narrative reason.    In fact. i would love it if in certain dungeons, or dungeon areas there were encounters designed in such a way that the opponents could retreat while remaining engaged in combat so that a fight might occur over a series over rooms as opposed to the room to room, clear out  mob x, format that is so common.  So instead of the pyramidal, trash mob, to competent mob, to elite mob, to mini-boss (or boss); there would be a sort of continuous fight with potential ambushes, traps, etc.

NWN 2 tried to do something like this in the Bonegnasher Lair (I think), but it came off as grindy, but IWD 2 had a few tough slogs of this type.  Some of this is AI related, and some level-design, but this is one area I think Obsidian will do a good job.  

I like that idea. Enemies retreating only to reengage you again when the odds are in their favor is cool. Game would be more realistic if this were implemented. And less mmorpg everquest 101. I always thought it was bull**** in rpgs that enemies do not retreat to rally later. It makes me question how the hell is my party of adventurers so imposing that stronger and more intelligent beings won't take advantage of them and use their lair to destroy them.

• Like 1