Obsidian 10-Year Anniversary Thread

C2B

Let's think about it:

Star Wars: The Knights of the old Republic 2: The Sith Lords - great game (not without flaws, of course);

Neverwinter Nights 2 - a good game, whatever the others say;

Neverwinter Nights 2: The Mask of Betrayer - some people call it the best RPG since Planescape: Torment;

Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir - not so great, but a good expansion pack;

Alpha Protocol - well, honestly, not so good, but with some great ideas;

Fallout: New Vegas - the best Fallout game since Fallout 2;

Dungeon Siege 3 - not so good, but an enjoyable game nonetheless;

That's all, I think I didn't forget anything. Overall, they have a good record. It's a good thing that Obsidian is still around - we have Project: Eternity, and the future seems bright.

Think the most Obsidian related fun I had was around the time of Mask of the Betrayer. KOTOR2 was an interesting game that failed to live up to its potential and NWN2 left me very disappointed. At that time I was really thinking Obsidian (or the former BI staff I suppose) had lost it somewhat. But MotB news started to roll out and it seemed a bit different. Got excited about it and once I got it, I really, really enjoyed it. One of my best RPG experiences.

Fallout: New Vegas and expansions also left me very impressed. Alpha Protocol was flawed but really unique and interesting as well. DS3 was somewhat tepid but still a pretty fun game.

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The real question is what we should do. I mean, normally you give something to the birthday child, though I'm not sure I want to know what an Obs-board-designed game would look like*.

*Obviously, it would have to be set in the fabulous Bowl-World® setting, possibly involving much Fighting In Tunnels.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Retail discs. With key codes. And manuals. Mint in box. All mine forever!   :)

SSPX0005_zps5139d684.jpg

I have these, too!    

Happy birthday Obsidian, and please, many many more. 

• Like 1

What's the difference between "there", "their" and "they're"?   Apparently, none.     :huh:  

My best memory about Obsidian Entertainment is that the studio was a real thing in the first place. I was so excited that none of their game announcements have gotten me even close when it comes to excitement levels. Not even Project Eternity. I was so gutted when Black Isle were shut down. I wouldn't call it a depression, that would be a crazy exaggeration, but I actually did feel like **** when I read the news. Having members of the team come back together and form a new studio was awesome.

I remember not liking Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II the first time I played it. I actually never played further than the first level. I didn't touch the game for one year. Came back to it and loved it.

Neverwinter Nights 2 OC. I couldn't play the game at launch. It was such a disappointment that the game had so many technical issues. I waited two years before actually completing the OC. I don't have any problems with the camera now. I'm used to it. Mask of the Betrayer blew me away. I wasn't expecting it after the OC. I enjoyed Storm of Zehir too, but it wasn't because of the story.

2010 is one of the best gaming years for me all thanks to Alpha Protocol and Fallout: New Vegas. My two favorite RPGs of the generation. It was magical. I can't belive we got both these games in the same year, it was heaven.

When Obsidian teased a new project and then it turned out to be a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games, I had my money ready. It was crazy. I remember watching the kickstarter page constantly the first day, hoping that it would meet the goal the first week (lol).

DSIII. I wasn't euphoric about this one. Biggest point for me was that they were working on their own engine. A shame it wasn't viable for them to continue with that in the long run.

I thought the announcement of South Park was a joke first. I'm not as excited for this project as I've been for most of their games (got it pre-ordered). Excitement levels are the same as they were for Dungeon Siege III. I'll buy it, and probably enjoy it, only it is not what I would prefer to see Obsidian work on.

I hope to see you guys keep making my favorite games for another 10 years. 

• Like 1

I'm honestly more interested in SP than I was in DS3, regarding the future.

As for the past 10 years, I'm convinced Obsidian is the most able game developer in the world. I'm just anxious to see them do more stuff like NWN2 and KotOR2, and less stuff like AP and DS3. Unlike DS3, which was not entirely wasted time but without any real redeeming aspects AP had a great way of handling the narrative, so I really prefer AP out of those two.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

For me it's a coin toss between FO:NV, MotB and Alpha Protocol. I'm still sad that there wasn't a sequel to AP or at least a DLC.

Alpha Protocol had amazing reactivity. I enjoyed the writing, characters and the basic setting since a RPG set in "real world" is something we don't see that often. On top of all that, I really loved the conversation system. 

Fallout: New Vegas is still probably the only open world RPG I've actually enjoyed playing through. The world made sense especially when compared to FO3. Too bad that the Legion got axed so badly :/

Mask of the Betrayer for me is the only game in ages that did the whole romance thing correctly. It didn't feel forced, trivial or a feature that was added for the stupid journalists that keep asking "are there romances in the game?!" nor was it abusable by handing out endless trophies/items to her/him. The characters in the game are probably the 2nd best characters in any RPG I've played, only Torment has done it better. Overall the story was great and I really loved the ending.

So far I've enjoyed every Obsidian game I've played, even DS3 as multiplayer and the only game that I haven't finished is SoZ since for some reason I skipped it back in the day and now it just feels so clunky when I try it.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

The forum is the most fun thing they provide.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Alpha Protocol had amazing reactivity. I enjoyed the writing, characters and the basic setting since a RPG set in "real world" is something we don't see that often. On top of all that, I really loved the conversation system.

I never could get past the mini-games. I gave it a few tries, trying to get past the prologue/start, but every time the minigames reared their ugly head, I rage-quit :(

DS III was too much hack and slash for me. Never liked the original Diablo, never liked games that had a similar game play mechanism, regardless of setting. Not just my thing.

The rest is/are regular staples and gets replays every now and then.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Obsidian ruined other games for me DDDDDDD;
Now I can't play other games without bitching how incompetent their villains are, how black-and-white the story is, and how annoying it is when our choices doesn't matter.

A bit late, but, happy birthday Obsidian :)

• Like 1

Obsidian ruined other games for me DDDDDDD;

Now I can't play other games without bitching how incompetent their villains are, how black-and-white the story is, and how annoying it is when our choices doesn't matter.

A bit late, but, happy birthday Obsidian :)

there's something true about this statement

i still enjoy other games of course, but save for bioware games, every once in a while i think to myself "if only obsidian had done the writing on this game"

Edited by lolaldanee
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

Happy anniversary Obsidian, i've very much enjoyed your output over the last decade. Looking at the above picture I feel the appropriate parting line is: Rock On.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Happy Anniversary Obsidian!  Your games have not been without flaws, but they have still generally been a cut above the rest.  May Project Eternity be the rousing success that gives you the freedom and leverage of owning your own highly valuable IP that you deserve.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Happy Birthday to a great studio!

With Neverwinter Nights 2 (way better than the overhyped first part from Bio imo) and Fallout: New Vegas, they made two of my favourite rpgs!

And without Dungeon Siege, which never interested me, they never made a game i couldn´t enjoy in some way.

Very looking forward to the next ten years! ;)

• Like 1