[New Game+] Are you for or aginst ?!

New game +  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or aginst New Game+ feature ? (if devs have recorces)

2. 2. IF a New game+ is gonna be added what shoud it provide ? (multi)

• I want to inherit levels from previos game.
    • Inherit items
    • New Game+ shoud unlock new items
    • New Game+ shoud unlock new monsters, enemys.
    • New Game+ shoud unlock new events, quests etc
    • New Game+ shoud unlock new endings.
    • New Game+ shoud "lock" something for example some previous events etc.
    • Inherit characters "fame" and influence (if it is) with companions
    • New Game+ shoud unlock special abilitis (from other class or others)
    • other
  3. 3. Are you for New Game++ option or New Game +++ oprion ? (third play thru fourth etc)

• Yes i for it 100%
    • No ... please ... noooo!!!
    • Other

Okay, so your turn... why would you like this feature? What would New Game+ add to the game that it doesn't have already? How do you justify wanting to play through the game twice with the same character? Are you really that opposed to playing other classes, or at a different difficulty?

Ok so...

I think that new game + feature is not only when you "import" you pervios character. It may also incloude new game with a new character but with new content (that was close at first play).

But if a lets say character level you can gain in campain is 50 and maximum amout is 100 then:

1. importing a new character can open addicional quests for example "kill demon lord" witch was waaay to stong at first play thru ...

2. If you are playing first time and at the end you shoud have big knowladge about the world it's self so there can be adden a special quest or content that has decisions that requaire high knowladge about the world/ fractions etc not only infloramiont like "the red onees are good, the black ones are bad".

3.By importing you previos character you character can gain other abilitis or grown his own better, also some opitons of quest ending etc can be opend ...

The reson is simple, if a game has a level cap 50 for example and you want t gain more an fight stronger enemys that was even way stronger there can be an "Expansion" or "new game +" or two of them ...  this also include addictional adventure ...

Secodly lest take dragon age orgins + awekening.

I whoud like to play ones and finish orgins .. and at the secound playtru play orgins+awekening as newgame+ but more polot related ... in my opinion it whoud be better to put an adictional advantures IN main plot like Gothic 2 night of the raven then adding an adventure that takes part after the ending ..like mask of b for NWN2 ... why ? Becouse Mask was desined for only one ending .. other ending were put aside so players who for example asside with King of Shadows was forced to play an addon for "good characters" ....

And i think that adding a content of mask inside a nwn2 oficial campain whoud be much better ...

That what im thinking ..

Edited by Ulquiorra

I see you guys don't understand the question. I sad if they "HAD" resorces. Im also aginst it if they don't but my qiestion was about if thay have proper reseroces and other elements will not suffer from this .. :)

That's like saying "what if they could make the game more AWESOME at no cost whatsoever? Would that be AWESOME or what?"

I see you guys don't understand the question. I sad if they "HAD" resorces. Im also aginst it if they don't but my qiestion was about if thay have proper reseroces and other elements will not suffer from this .. :)

That's like saying "what if they could make the game more AWESOME at no cost whatsoever? Would that be AWESOME or what?"

You know someone can be agins it becouse he want to take all content at first time and no wait til the second ... so this isin't simple Awsome or more Awsome dilema ...

I love New Game+ for the right game; this game doesn't seem to fit the mold (less actiony, low leveled party).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You know someone can be agins it becouse he want to take all content at first time and no wait til the second ... so this isin't simple Awsome or more Awsome dilema ...

I even think that this is more like all content at once dilema vs not all content at one dilema :p

IIRC Josh said that the game will have a level cap that's only slightly higher than Baldur's Gate, and that they're more or less making a lot of custom-crafted content for every level rise (so not only stats increase, but abilities to choose for every class etc.). Unless it will be difficult to reach the cap with a single playthrough, New Game+ would more or less end up like a very boring option, as you would start capped out and there'd be no character progression choices to make anymore.

Level scaling in another can of worms entirely.

Most players here are not fans for this type of game; the developers seem to be of the opinion of minimal level scaling within very narrow ranges on the critical path only.

I'd argue that level scaling shouldn't be inherent to New Game+ - Chrono Trigger worked fine without it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The way I see it, utimately you're either playing an easy mode for people who become too attached to individual characters and who refuse to play a variety of classes (if there's no level scaling for new game+), or you're playing pretty much the same exact game with a couple zero's added to every number, whether it be character statistics, monster levels, or enchanted loot (if there is level scaling). What's the point of having leveled characters or advanced loot from the beginning? How can your character progress during the second playthrough unless the developers spend their time putting in even more powerful stuff for you to obtain? Doesn't that all become a bit superficial at some point? This is probably more oriented toward "roll-playing" than roleplaying, but isn't this mentality a bit shallow? Is "plz withhold game features so they can be prize later" really the message we want to be sending to developers as consumers?

Why would you want yourself restricted in your first playthrough? Why would you want to play the game again with the same character, rather than play a different character? Why should there be a metagame of trying to unlock things via multiple playthroughs? These questions have yet to be answered. We'll probably see additional campaigns, most of which likely allowing you to import old character like the old IE games, that start at high levels anyway, so what's the point of doing this with the main campaign that is balanced for characters starting at level one?

Endgame =/= replaying the game. I for one very much wish that there is some sort of endgame, in that continuing to play the game doesn't become pointless as soon as you beat the final boss or whatever, but that's completely different from wanting to replay the same game over again with the same character.

You want a different experience? Play a different class, or even a different build. You want harder gameplay? Up the difficulty or play one of the gamemodes designed for this. You want to continue your party's adventure? Why not wait for additional campaigns/expansions which will probably let you import your old party so that you actually have new quests to complete?

What can an RPG possibly gain by sacrificing "playability" for replayability, which is what withholding features entails? The only possible benefit this might have to the roleplay is that some people can't possibly seem to limit themselves within the role of their character, and this allows them to have more to do after doing "everything" the first time around. But really, shouldn't the focus be on teaching such people to actually roleplay, rather than satiating their unhealthy hunger for unlockables? Gah, now I'm just ranting without any sense of direction. I quit.

Edited by mcmanusaur
  • Like 1

mcmanusaur

It all depends on game mechanics, with most of you assume it will be simillar to BG, but we don't know it for sure.

The newgame+ coud be a new expierence even not from dificulty level but also for example in a forest that goblins atected you, in newgame+ you are atacted by demons ..

Even begining of the game can be difrent ant first you play is say "a man who was just a commoner" but at second (strating from 20 lvl) it coud be "he was an excelent fighter among men" etc ...

mcmanusaur

It all depends on game mechanics, with most of you assume it will be simillar to BG, but we don't know it for sure.

The newgame+ coud be a new expierence even not from dificulty level but also for example in a forest that goblins atected you, in newgame+ you are atacted by demons ..

Even begining of the game can be difrent ant first you play is say "a man who was just a commoner" but at second (strating from 20 lvl) it coud be "he was an excelent fighter among men" etc ...

Okay, that's sort of a valid point, but really what does recognition of one's character as an established hero add to the players' experience besides having the NPCs automatically fawn over one's character rather than having to actually earn it? Are we really at the point where this "reward" makes us feel good? It just reeks so strongly of stroking players' ego for the sake of it, almost fanservice...

You know what? Alright, keeping an open mind toward the roleplaying possibilities of this, is it really necessary that your character starts off at level 20? I could see something like "celebrity status" or "noble lineage" that I mentioned in my first response, which really only affects cosmetics of dialogue rather than mechanics, but even then it's a bit hard to justify withholding that from the player until they've completed a playthrough simply because many gamers don't have the requisite attention span or attention to roleplaying to not choose this option on their first playthrough... Bleh. Well, it's not super important to me honestly, so good luck with your idea/suggestion. I just think it says some sad things about the state of roleplaying in these games...

Edited by mcmanusaur

Chrono Trigger's replayability was in the alternate endings you could find by searching in the second game for areas you could fight Lavos before the endgame.

Dragon's Dogma has a free class change system that takes (usually) a few run throughs to max out all the classes so New Level + allowed you to replay the other classes. Or if you just wanted to run around and try stuff in the open world. There were a few new quests (of the "Kill X [important monsters] variety) but nothing that changed the game content.

Neither of those games seem to fit what PE is doing, so again I don't think New Game + is a viable option; this game seems to be built around the replayability being in trying different classes and different skills and different choices.

Okay, that's sort of a valid point, but really what does recognition of one's character as an established hero add to the players' experience besides having the NPCs automatically fawn over one's character rather than having to actually earn it? Are we really at the point where this "reward" makes us feel good? It just reeks so strongly of stroking players' ego for the sake of it, almost fanservice...

You know what? Alright, keeping an open mind toward the roleplaying possibilities of this, is it really necessary that your character starts off at level 20? I could see something like "celebrity status" or "noble lineage" that I mentioned in my first response, which really only affects cosmetics of dialogue rather than mechanics, but even then it's a bit hard to justify withholding that from the player until they've completed a playthrough simply because many gamers don't have the requisite attention span or attention to roleplaying to not choose this option on their first playthrough... Bleh. Well, it's not super important to me honestly, so good luck with your idea/suggestion. I just think it says some sad things about the state of roleplaying in these games...

I don't know all the answers, we are simply two gamers talking about a possibilitis in PE. I think this idea is good. But if devs decide it's bad i will live with that (this is their game not mine).

But i also get pissed of by those who still saying "resourses, reasourse !!!" ... their not acting as players. ... their more consernt of money and manpower then devs ..

We as the fans, games and common people shoud have fantasies and wishes .. also some opinion what we like and what we not .. the resourses is not are deal .. it's devs deal ..and regardless of our opinion they will do it their way ...

I think that newgame+ is good addon to the game becouse is coud open new content that can be limited at first time .. and thats all ... thank you :)

ps. about the role playing side, starting as 20 lvl fighter coud open new gameplay. dofrend from zero to hero but from hero to more hero etc ..

Edited by Ulquiorra

The level cap it's in my opinio a mistake if you enemys are scaled to you level ... you can even be at 10000 lvl and still ca have eneymys that can overpower you ...

?? Josh has already confirmed there's going to be minimal level scaling if at all. I'm really not sure what level cap has to do with level scaling, btw.

I don't need a replay if my character (s) is(are) highly customizable.

Also I want to do all things I can imagine in the first turn. There shouldn't be any monster or person at the end of the game I can't possibly kill. But this isn't the point. At the end of the game I want to lift mysteries of things I thought I know rather than killing everyone who comes across. Solving things is better than overpower things I want to play with my brain, not with the experience and the items of my characters...

And If I got solved all the things I don't want to solve it the same way again! I want another game, another turn of events but not based on my mighty heros lvl20 strenght. It should be based on my new heros decisions, personality and skills which let me think a new way.

The level cap it's in my opinio a mistake if you enemys are scaled to you level ... you can even be at 10000 lvl and still ca have eneymys that can overpower you ...

?? Josh has already confirmed there's going to be minimal level scaling if at all. I'm really not sure what level cap has to do with level scaling, btw.

If your playing game once more with a character at 20 lvl it whoud be silly to fiight the same monster and the begining that has 1 lvl or 2 level ...  the same as it whoud be silly t fight a monster that has 90 lv when yours is 30 or 40 :)

Ok, simply enabling to play through the game again with the same character..

wouldn't take much resources, wouldn't seem to have a point either, breezing through everything.

Replay the game with the same character, all the fights are new,

different and more challenging. Maybe completely new quests, at lest reworked ones.

I can see how this could be appealing, wouldn't appeal to me, but i could understand this.

This would also require a lot of effort, remaking every encounter wouldn't double the task, but it'd be a significant thing.

At least assuming everything would still need to be balanced out for the new level range.

Replay the game and everything autoscales to your new level. According to some system,

which would need to be developed just for the replaying bit, if there's no scaling otherwise.

But if there's a scaling system already, this wouldn't take a huge amount of effort.

I wouldn't see the appeal, but if it didn't take much development effort, I wouldn't mind either.

I am for new game plus under specific circumstances.

1: It has to make sense in the games lore and story.  Games like Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma having new game plus works thematically because of the type of world and story they are telling.  The concepts of PE with the main character being unable to die possibly, the soul being the source of strength, etc... I could see the story working for new game plus.  But we don't know enough for sure.

2: There has to be something new for new game plus.  For example ... the Souls games make enemies stronger on each play through raising the challenge level and keeping the gameplay interesting.  One of the best new game plus modes ever done was Chrono Trigger.  There was nothing new added to the game on new game plus in it... but there was events, endings, and hidden things that you just could not do or see on the first play through.  Maybe it was because you weren't strong enough for them, or you were missing a key item, but something prevented you on playthrough one.  The game didn't change at all, you just have new options you didn't before.  That one unwinnable fight from playthrough one suddenly might be winnable... that locked door you had no key for... might strangely be in your possession now.  Etc etc.

3: The real catch 22 which probably makes this a pipe dream.  For new game + to work well the game has to be designed around the idea of having new game + from the very beginning.  It is not a feature you can really tack on as a stretch goal or something unless it is going to be nothing more than a shallow power trip.

Rather than having another run-through of the campaign with slightly higher numbers popping up, I'd rather they expand on the original experience and put in so many paths and so much content that starting a new fresh run is the best way to experience more of the game rather than the same thing you just did but with a bit larger numbers.

• Like 2

I vote for New Game Awesome mode. You know, you start a new game, and the game's so fantastic that, even though nothing's actually different about the game mode, itself, from your previous playthrough, there's plenty of variety and wonderment to be had in your entirely new and different playthrough. 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I vote for New Game Awesome mode. You know, you start a new game, and the game's so fantastic that, even though nothing's actually different about the game mode, itself, from your previous playthrough, there's plenty of variety and wonderment to be had in your entirely new and different playthrough. 8P

I'd be fine with something like The Witcher 2, where there's content you can only reach through a second gameplay due to a branching path.

For the love of FSM though, no requirement you must play though with the same character again to find some things.  That's so 8-bit.  

It would be funny if it was the exact same game, only with the grass purple or something though.   :biggrin:

Second time through - dialogue may randomly start with

"Haven't we met before?"

"? I though you were dead"

"Of &%$* here they come again..."

etc.