Build Thread

Gorgon

Scrapped the 280l, will try to return it tomorrow. The pump on the thing is god awful, at least as far as the noise is concerned. My next try will probably be Corsair GT 110, if/when it appears in my country.

Considering going for the 980gtx, will probably go for the 970gtx as performance is 10% less but the price is 30% less.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Yeah, that issue makes the whole "4GB RAM" somewhat misleading. Obviously the RAM is physically there, but it could just as well not be.

A (pair of?) 980 is out of the question then?

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Hm...hopefully a lot of people panic and try to sell their 970s. I can get one for cheap then :D

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Note to self: buy the 980 for a new rig. Unless there's a new series that's better, by this Fall/Winter. Then that one.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The limitation in the GTX 970 doesn't seem to be showing in any benchmarks when comapred to the 980, whether that's average fps or frame time, even at the highest settings. Are we buying GPU for synthetic benchmarks or real world performance? Reviewers are trying to produce evidence of this limiation in game benchmarks.

Nvidia still gave out false specifications, that should be an automatic refund for false advertising. If Nvidia had sold the card with this information, the GTX 970 is still the best deal on the market, even at 3.5GB it would still be the best deal, if it were to be found to effect game performance significantly then that's a bigger issue.

That 970 memory issue where it will lag bad once you go over 3gb vram, is a deal breaker for me

It effects the last 512MB, not the last 1024MB.

Yeah, that issue makes the whole "4GB RAM" somewhat misleading. Obviously the RAM is physically there, but it could just as well not be.

An Nvidia engineer has stated that the 512MB is still around 4 times faster than system memory, and the GPU still has 224 GB/s bandwidth if memory is being accessed from both pools. The only time bandwidth is 28 GB/s is when the GPU is only accessing the 512MB pool, and it's possible for the OS, drivers, and game engine to stop that happening.