PLEASE READ!!! THANK YOU!!! :-)

I have been keeping an eye on this game for a while now. I believe I have read all the updates. I don't really post that much, because when things are in this stage critiquing is really not as important as it is right about now. :-) Great Job so far! I love the lay out I love the art and what the world is shaping up to be. Here is what I would like to add just my two cents:

*snip*

There you go Obsidian my two cents; do with this info what you will... :-) Thank you for reading and taking time to just brainstorm with me. Appreciate you all!

That's "two cents?"  Sorry, but two cents won't buy you two actual cents these days.

I bet they're going to put in a wild orlan romance just to troll us. Also make it the only romance option, and make it unavoidable.

The joke will be on them when the fans of the romance inevitably arise and start thanking Obsidian for helping in removing the "bestiality stigma".

• Like 5

As for the map, sci-fi looking objects in a fantasy setting are not my cup of tea.  I like other catacomb-looking areas, though.

I'm neither for or against them. As long as there's a consistent world and it's interesting and well realised, I'll likely enjoy it. But it was a surprise to me, because it wasn't the sort of thing I had pictured as being part of PE's aesthetic based on everything else we'd seen. The tone of everything else was much less 'magepunk'. I would actually quite like to see more settings where there isn't a 'magic-as-technology/electricity' trope, and I'd thought PE was going to go that way. But I don't dislike it if it's done well.

Edited by Eiphel
  • Like 1

If you're still planning on 6 months worth of production and 6 months worth of post-production then it looks like June-July next year will be the release date of the game.

Fine with me - get it right :p

If you're still planning on 6 months worth of production and 6 months worth of post-production then it looks like June-July next year will be the release date of the game.

Fine with me - get it right :p

I don't think Obsidian ever actually talked about how many months they plan to spend on pre-production/production/polish. In fact, I'd be inclined to say you're mixing Project Eternity with Torment here.

Creating Orlan Heads - This includes modeling differences for the Wild and Hearth ethnicities.
What are these differences?

Physically these differences are where hair grows on them. Wild Orlans are covered with a coat of hair on every inch of their bodies, including the face. On the other hand Hearth Orlans have tufts of hair the ears, but otherwise the face is covered with hair much like a typical human. The Orlan detective concept depicts a Hearth Orlan.

I love how these types of questions are always answered.

Thanks.

• Like 3

Creating Orlan Heads - This includes modeling differences for the Wild and Hearth ethnicities.
What are these differences?

Physically these differences are where hair grows on them. Wild Orlans are covered with a coat of hair on every inch of their bodies, including the face. On the other hand Hearth Orlans have tufts of hair the ears, but otherwise the face is covered with hair much like a typical human. The Orlan detective concept depicts a Hearth Orlan.

Oh look, I found a wild Orlan

17_lilo_und_stitch_500_375_The_Disney_Ch

• Like 1

I don't think Obsidian ever actually talked about how many months they plan to spend on pre-production/production/polish. In fact, I'd be inclined to say you're mixing Project Eternity with Torment here.

They talked about that in one of his kickstarter comments:

Pre-Production Time - We generally do 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. So with a project that is 18 months, that means 6 months in pre-production, 6 months in production and 6 months in post-production. We have a leg up with the Unity engine and already have basic movement and formations working, so it might be more like 5 , 7, 6 for Project Eternity

• Like 1

They talked about that in one of his kickstarter comments:

Pre-Production Time - We generally do 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. So with a project that is 18 months, that means 6 months in pre-production, 6 months in production and 6 months in post-production. We have a leg up with the Unity engine and already have basic movement and formations working, so it might be more like 5 , 7, 6 for Project Eternity

Interesting. Thanks for pointing out that post. (Though as with every Feargus comment made during the Kickstarter, I take it with a grain of salt as things were very much in flux then. Then again, it's merely production times and not design.)

Pre-Production has been going for 8-9 months :p That said Josh has stated that Pre-production is the most important time on a project, and their thoroughness seems indicative of a smooth production phase.

Post-production is where my hopes lie.

Lack of polish is the bane of every complex RPG, be it bugs, glitches, inconsistencies or balance issues. There isn't a single complex RPG I can think of that I've played in the last 15 years that isn't brought down by some of these. I hope that with advance funding, P:E will only be pushed out the door when it shines like a diamond. I will also repeat myself about this from time to time.

I'd like to ask about Orlans if anyone could elaborate it would be appreciated.

"Physically these differences are where hair grows on them. Wild Orlans are covered with a coat of hair on every inch of their bodies, including the face. On the other hand Hearth Orlans have tufts of hair the ears, but otherwise the face is covered with hair much like a typical human. The Orlan detective concept depicts a Hearth Orlan."

Is the difference between the Hearth Orlan and the Wild Orlan purely down to the influence of civilisation; i.e. more grooming and shaving of hair for the Hearth Orlan in order to fit in/distinguish themselves from the Wild Orlan.

Or is the difference now something more akin to the development of humans compared to say neanderthals who were more hairy because they were less evolved.

Basically my question is are the differences largely down to cultural norms or the result of a long evolutionary separation?

I think it might well be a piece of some ancient magi-technology, maybe long forgotten by the current inhabitants of the world... much like the dwemer ruins and contraptions in the Elder Scrolls setting.

^ This. It IS a "dungeon" concept, and not simply the nearest town square. I wouldn't go assuming that elements of that concept are rampant and/or commonplace throughout the entire game world. Imagine if you did it with something else in the concept, other than magi-nology:

"Oh man, I certainly hope the world isn't filled with wall crypts/tombs..."

:)

Also, I wouldn't really call the "magic as technology/electricity" thing a "trope," really. Magic is a source of energy, and people naturally utilize energy sources to complete tasks. That would be a bit like saying "Man, I'm not so sure about this whole metal-and-other-materials-as-a-means-of-cutting-people-and-things trope..."

There's a difference between something happening a lot, and something being a trope (at least with a negative/lack-of-creativity connotation).

Nothing being familiar is just as bad as everything being familiar.

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^ This. It IS a "dungeon" concept

Actually it's an in-engine render with a paint-over. That mechanical/magical thing in the room was actually painted in :)

Edited by Sensuki

^ This. It IS a "dungeon" concept

Actually it's an in-engine render with a paint-over. That mechanical/magical thing in the room was actually painted in :)

A Vertical Slice dungeon concept by Polina. Her paint-over will be used as reference for the polish pass.

I'm just quoting the update, here. I'm not gonna be the one to argue with the dev team over whether or not what they're calling a concept is a concept, 8P

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u