Disappointed

I'm gona try not to swear but it's going to be dammed hard, I have played DS and DS2 two of my most faved rpgs, I have just bought DS3 for thank F%$%^ only £3 and yet I feel robed, to the dev's what the hell was you thinking you have just cloned Diablo 2 and poorly. This game is not a DS game why did you change so much and for the worse too.

And then there's coop what balls up the camera angles make it  imposable to play and the bound to each other is a game killer, you have taken a great game and took a big dump on it well done, If I had a hard copy I use it as tea costa.

One last thing why oh why did you leave out zoom in on coop!

• Like 1

The only thing I liked about DS was the mule. I liked the mule better than I liked the game. I would have kept it but that would have meant keeping DS too.

And that wouldn't do.

• Like 2

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Honestly, DS3 is very far from a clone of Diablo 2.  I'll agree that DS3 is VERY different than DS and DS2, so those that had the expectation (a reasonable one at that) that it would be another game like the previous two, I can definitely see why they would be angry and disappointed.  I personally think DS3 is a good game if you take it for what it is, and not what may have been expected.  It's barely a loot em up, it's significantly more story driven than pretty much any other game in the genre (Divine Divinity is probably the closest in that regard).  I have my own criticisms of the game, namely the disappointing loot and the narrow corridor nature of most of the maps (Treasures of the Sun is slightly more open), but overall I thought it was a great game.  I personally think that DS3 is more engaging than most loot em ups with the block and dodge mechanics, compared to the usual, click click click click click.

Also, as Hurlshot mentioned, this really should be in the DS3 section.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I liked DS3.  I only kind of liked DS1.  Didn't like DS1 enough to try DS2.  YMMV.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I don't see any real similarity between Diablo2 and DS3 either. If anything, the original DS games were more like Diablo2, in a way. I enjoyed DS3, with it's larger emphasis on dialogue/story, but it did have a funky combat UI and I didn't find it all that replayable. That said, I can understand why some who liked the first two games don't like the changes in DS3. It was definitely a different type of game.

Also ... moving thread. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

DS and DS2 are mediocre action-RPG's, so I question your tastes.  Also, wrong forum.

Why questions someone's tastes?  People have different opinions about the games you like or hate.

Exactly?

If you post your opinion on a forum, I would think it would be expected that people would agree or disagree with it.  I clearly side with the latter.  

• Like 1

DS and DS2 are mediocre action-RPG's, so I question your tastes.  Also, wrong forum.

Why questions someone's tastes?  People have different opinions about the games you like or hate.

Exactly?

If you post your opinion on a forum, I would think it would be expected that people would agree or disagree with it.  I clearly side with the latter.  

100 %, isn't that one of the main reasons for a forum. To stimulate debate?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm liking DS3 somewhat, found a way to change the camera angling through alternative means and changed some of the controls around (right mouse button to control camera direction, and "a" "d" keys to control left and right movement). Feels a lot better now. Which I could rescale/remove the character portrait though. Story so far is ok, nothing spectacular but I can follow it and I do like the combat as everything feels fast paced and responsive. Just wish the areas weren't so corridor like. Hopefully it changes as I progress though I have a feeling it won't. The game is ok, I think for the $5 spent on the pack on Steam it was worth it. Though I still enjoyed the original Dungeon Siege games more.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's telling that people who like DS3 sort of indicate that it is not like the other two and that's a good thing.

If you make a sequel, normally you want it enough like the others before it that the fans of the originals...will still be fans of the new.

Even if it's a GREAT game...making the old fans unhappy because the game is different then the old games normally stimulates the old fans to give you bad word of mouth...and that's never good.

Unless of course, you are Bethesda and are making FO3...then for some reason you bring bank.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately before playing Dunegeon Siege 3 you have to come to realise that it's only 'Dungeon Siege' by title and not by gameplay. The team at Obsidian obviously didn't want to make Dungeon Siege but were forced to by the Square Enix. So they tried to merge parts of DS with the type of RPG they typically create... resulting in some kind of terrible mess. It's a shame really because it both tarnishes the DS series and has caused a lot of hatred towards Obsidian.

Obsidian had the choice - do they completely sell out (instead of partially selling out) and make a game they have no passion for (DS & DS2) or do they attempt to make DS3 into a game they have some passion for and hope to convince fans of the series to like it. Unfortunatley for the fans they picked the former and fell short - however at least the 18 months they spent on development was probably more enjoyable for them compared to if they had to create a game they had no passion for.

Maybe one day there will be a true successor to Dungeon Siege however it's probably best we don't get our hopes up after what happened with Dungeon Siege 3.

• 2 months later...

People who like Dungeon Siege 3 did not like the previous games explain a lot.

I only will add that DS1&2 was unique games which cannot be replaced; there aren’t other isometric-action-rpg games with deep group management so the only way to enjoy that gameplay is by replay DS1 or 2. While DS3 is almost a generic console game that could be replaced by hundreds of similar games, I mean, people who enjoyed DS3 will fill comfortable in many other games. Think about this.

I can't say that I agree with the conspiracy theory that Obsidian somehow didn't want to make a real "DS" game...since for all we know - and most likely is the case - it was Square Enix requesting a different type of game, very likely because they wanted a game that was multi-platformed and DS's party combat wouldn't work as well on a console.

Like a lot of continuations in game series, they could have probably saved some (pointless, IMO) fan angst had they called it something like DUNGEON SIEGE: Side Story instead of DS3, so fans wouldn't complain that they weren't the same style of game (they'd just complain "why release this side story and not a real DS sequel!" instead, proving that Square Enix and Obsidian were screwed the minute they decided to make a new game in the setting).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man